Cold Weather Running

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
I have just been running a small loco and a few wagons,
(whilst collecting wood for the fire, honest) well that's my excuse any way:rolleyes:
what surprised me was on the same setting as usual, it was running about 60%
slower than usual, even failing to cross some points it normally sails over

The layout is under cover and has 3 sides protected from most of the wind,
but the thermomitor is reading -11, and is way colder than i have ever run trains before
Question - Could the cold temperature have that much effect :thinking:
or do i need to take a closer look at the Loco (an 040 aristo unit)

I did try another similar train and this did run slower but not any where near as bad
Edit- should have said these two pic's are stock pic's of the the 2 trains i ran this evening
not the actual running, the temp when these were taken was only -5

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
It may just be the electricity supply.
At times of high demand the mains voltage may drop, reducing the output voltage of your transformer and therefore the loco's speed for the same settings.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It sounds like poor continuity/dirty track as a result of several days lack of use.
Strictly, lower temperatures mean increased electrical conductivity but we are talking here about lower than around
-200C!!:D

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like the dirt on the track
If the mains voltage was down to 40% it would be under 100 volts.
You would know because your house lights would be nearly out.
I have been running an old Playmobil train in the garden over Christmas with the Christmas lights. It has still been going round O.K. when it has been freezing.
Keep the track clean and if its frozen try some car windscreen de-icer on the track.
Once it is running it will keep going.
Did you check the voltage out of the controller and at the track?

Rob s

24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Keith/Neil
I have to collect/chop - logs/kindling daily so trains, run for about 1 hour every day
with a track cleaner the first to go round.
The track cleaner pulled by two playmobil engines ran as normal - a little slow/gerky at first then smoth and sweet.

The Track is clean but feels very cold and clammy to the touch, but no ice.
Have now run two other loco's around
A Stainz which seems to be running a little slower than normal but it may be
just that i am looking for something and so it appears
And an LGB 2-4-0, This is also running very slow and won't even pull the three post vans
with a LGB 1amp controller a full out put

The power is low at the moment, the lights which are normally quite bright white
seem to be only giving of a yellowish glow.
So this could well be the cause, if i can locate my multi meter i will check the actual voltage

Could a voltage drop affect dif loco's by varying amounts :thinking:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Rob s said:
Hi Keith/Neil
I have to collect/chop - logs/kindling daily so trains, run for about 1 hour every day
with a track cleaner the first to go round.
The track cleaner pulled by two playmobil engines ran as normal - a little slow/gerky at first then smoth and sweet.

The Track is clean but feels very cold and clammy to the touch, but no ice.
Have now run two other loco's around
A Stainz which seems to be running a little slower than normal but it may be
just that i am looking for something and so it appears
And an LGB 2-4-0, This is also running very slow and won't even pull the three post vans
with a LGB 1amp controller a full out put

The power is low at the moment, the lights which are normally quite bright white
seem to be only giving of a yellowish glow.
So this could well be the cause, if i can locate my multi meter i will check the actual voltage

Could a voltage drop affect dif loco's by varying amounts :thinking:

If this has just happened 'out of the blue' is there a problem with your controller/transformer? Has it been left where it could get condensation in it?
Are you running analogue or MTS? MTS is more susceptible to cold and condensation.
The only other option I can think of is that you have a poor connection from the controller to the track. Try 'jiggling' it!!

Rob s

24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
KeithT said:
If this has just happened 'out of the blue' is there a problem with your controller/transformer? Has it been left where it could get condensation in it?
Are you running analogue or MTS? MTS is more susceptible to cold and condensation.
The only other option I can think of is that you have a poor connection from the controller to the track. Try 'jiggling' it!!

Hi Keith
I run Analogue (DC), I use a 10amp transformer with aristo Te's when i get the chance to [STRIKE]play [/STRIKE]Test for any lenght of time (twice a month if lucky), and bring them in to dry/warm store each time, but leave an LGB 1amp controller in place for when i only have limited time.

All the loco's/Stock stay out but under cover, year round, I have not had a problem before, even running in the Snow
Tested some more :D early yesterday afternoon (-2degrees) and all was ok
Then early evening in a sharp biting wind the temp dropped to -6 in the open sided shed.
Ran again and the prob re-appeared.
All my other loco's ran fine, Aristo 2x same as the problem one, 2x Big Haulers, 2x Stainz, 2x Porters and a visiting Shay:D

Typical my Multi meter is at work, but plugged everything in to a 240v genny and still same prob, checked/re-made all connections and re-cleaned track, but no dif:confused:

Any body any thoughts ???
I could just not run the two affected Engine's one LGB & one Aristo, when it drops below about -5 but that seems a bit diffeatist some how:bleh:

Have run every thing again in the last hour at -3 in the wind and all is Okay again :thinking:

Am at a loss as which way to go from here ???

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Rob s said:
KeithT said:

Hi Keith
I run Analogue (DC), I use a 10amp transformer with aristo Te's when i get the chance to [STRIKE]play [/STRIKE]Test for any lenght of time (twice a month if lucky), and bring them in to dry/warm store each time, but leave an LGB 1amp controller in place for when i only have limited time.

All the loco's/Stock stay out but under cover, year round, I have not had a problem before, even running in the Snow
Tested some more :D early yesterday afternoon (-2degrees) and all was ok
Then early evening in a sharp biting wind the temp dropped to -6 in the open sided shed.
Ran again and the prob re-appeared.
All my other loco's ran fine, Aristo 2x same as the problem one, 2x Big Haulers, 2x Stainz, 2x Porters and a visiting Shay:D

Typical my Multi meter is at work, but plugged everything in to a 240v genny and still same prob, checked/re-made all connections and re-cleaned track, but no dif:confused:

Any body any thoughts ???
I could just not run the two affected Engine's one LGB & one Aristo, when it drops below about -5 but that seems a bit diffeatist some how:bleh:

Have run every thing again in the last hour at -3 in the wind and all is Okay again :thinking:

Am at a loss as which way to go from here ???
Rob The only further suggestion I can offer is that as the problem is with the same 2 locos that coincidentally they have a similar continuity/connection problem. I would try stripping one down and checking for a cold soldered joint. Merely gently moving a wire or flexing the circuit board might reveal the problem.
Of course, if the temp doesn't drop so low again then you will be no wiser until next year!

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry I managed to double post when I only intended to edit.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
The only thing I can think of is Rime is forming on the rails.
Rime typically goes through a liquid phase where the surface is wet by condensation before freezing.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Rob
One other remote possibility occurs to me. You are using analogue, could it be that the wheels of these 2 locos are gunged-up and not conducting the electricity as efficiently as they should?
Since I went over to MTS I have noticed a big difference in erratic/slow running because there is always 24V on the track.

Rob s

24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
KeithT said:
Rob The only further suggestion I can offer is that as the problem is with the same 2 locos that coincidentally they have a similar continuity/connection problem. I would try stripping one down and checking for a cold soldered joint. Merely gently moving a wire or flexing the circuit board might reveal the problem.
Of course, if the temp doesn't drop so low again then you will be no wiser until next year!

Thanks Keith
Dooh - a bit slow today
Thats Well worth a try,
But it will have to wait till i have a steadier hand
:party: finished about 4 hours ago here
and it might as well wait now till i can get hold of my test kit from work

Thanks Spike - RIME,
I like that word never heard it before, will store that for future use, Thanks
We ran dif loco's in dif order and back to back, and at any time the prob only
showed in same 2 engines ?? at lower than -5.7 (new digi thermometer)
So i don't think it is track related. (but not positive)

Rob s

24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Keith - worth a try
Have just re-cleaned wheels on both loco's the LGB showed no visible muck on a meth's soaked cotton bud, (I gave this a good clean about two weeks ago so no surprise)
The Aristi unit had nice clean rims and flanges, but did show quite a lot of black gunge of the backs of the wheel's along line the pick up's run
So now just wait till it get's cold enough again, and see if it has made a dif :impatient:.
at the rate the tmp is dropping here it should not be long i hope.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Rob s said:
Hi Keith - worth a try
Have just re-cleaned wheels on both loco's the LGB showed no visible muck on a meth's soaked cotton bud, (I gave this a good clean about two weeks ago so no surprise)
The Aristi unit had nice clean rims and flanges, but did show quite a lot of black gunge of the backs of the wheel's along line the pick up's run
So now just wait till it get's cold enough again, and see if it has made a dif :impatient:.
at the rate the tmp is dropping here it should not be long i hope.

Rob
Looks like it is back to bad solder joints.

(Are the bullet pick-ups worn? I had all but 2 drop out of a U Class which continued to run although that was in warmer conditions)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thats very interseting. I thought my V52 was slow today (in the snow), wheels are clean and I am running digital.
I did notice that the 'Mylocosund' stopped when the loco stopped (which it shouldn't on digital). My power packs are all inside connected by old mains cable (2.5mm).
Does look like low voltage - frost in connectors maybe??
d10ac6f271944854a42502de9341eac3.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I ran track power this morning, the loco stopped at one spot, until I squeezed a fish plate with me fingers, then it toddle off OK :D

Sharrafter get some rail clamps for where the Aristo stuff joins the LGB :-

Never did use any conductive paste - relied entirely on the Aristo fishplate screws, and two feeds to the circuit :D

It's just that I've got about 8 lengths of LGB R3s

Rob s

24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
I use Aristo / USA / LGB & Peco track all joints are fine, there are no dead spots at all

Just two engines that run very slow everywhere, when the temp drops below -5ish
Have re-cleaned the wheels on these two as Keith sugested but as the Temp has
remained above -5 ever since (well not whilst i've been awake anyway) :D
I don't know if it's made a diff yet. :impatient:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
There is one thing that none of you have considered. I know when it's cold I move alot slower than I usually move. Might we not consider that electrons just don't feel like giving it their all............:happy::rofl:

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
I don't have experience in running trains in such cold temperatures but have found dew (rime?) will affect running and more so on some loco's than others. Hope that's of help :)