British Outline looking Freight suggestions.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_2157.JPG The loco is based on a Highland Railway Goods Clan all scrapped by around 1951 . It runs on a modified Bachmann Anne chassis , the tender stated life as s Bachmann Stirling one

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
All my stock is scratchbuilt on HLW chassis, bashed from LGB wagons or kitbuilt (eg IP Engineering). Here's an example of some of the outcomes -
- behind two batteryised Stainz locos (see 1min in)

There's more info about my stock with links to the bashes etc here - http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2011/07/stock-list.html

I'm with 38th Foot above - if I can do it, anyone can!

Rik
86 axles, pretty impresive.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the ideas theirs some good looking wagons and train conversions :) might think about it for another week before I jump in and decide which way to go now, It might be just start with a couple to get the idea and look rather than trying to build too many at once as Summers coming (Warmer Rain ) so want to run some trains rather than try to build to much :)

Reactions: 1 user

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
At the Warley show this year I picked up a couple of North Pilton Works wagons as kits. I then rather annoyingly found that they can be purchased ready built and ready painted, straight from Pilton, for less than they were being sold as kits.

http://northpiltonworks.com/

I detailed mine a bit with some corner bracing and new buffer beams as I felt the originals were a bit too deep. Fine looking little wagons and quite competitively priced. They're the two wagons at the back. the one in front is a old GRS combi wagon.

On the theme of British kits there's also IP engineering and Swift Sixteen. Have pieces from both and was very happy with how easily they went together. Again, being in kit form makes them very easy to personalise.

http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/

https://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/

170214 (1).jpg
170214 (2).jpg
170214 (3).jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
At the Warley show this year I picked up a couple of North Pilton Works wagons as kits. I then rather annoyingly found that they can be purchased ready built and ready painted, straight from Pilton, for less than they were being sold as kits.
View attachment 220991
Very nice, that looks very Irish NG (LMS NCC) Like. But could be Leek and Manifold both parts of the LMS empire eventually. Try not to worry too much about having to make up the kits, it is a warm citizen building experience.
image.jpeg
JonD

Last edited:

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Another suggestion that hasn't been made is the USA Trains depressed centre wagons.

They are a lovely piece of rolling stock and blend in with lgb items quite well, I will post a picture of mine in the next few days.

The only downside is there not the most common item, so you might have to order straight from America

Dan

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Very nice, that looks very Irish NG (LMS NCC) Like. But could be Leek and Manifold both parts of the LMS empire eventually. Try not to worry too much about having to make up the kits, it is a warm citizen building experience.
View attachment 220996
JonD

You're quite right, much more satisfaction in having built them, worth the extra bit of money :)

The inspiration was the L&B Manning Wardles, cut and shut to suit whichever 4 wheel chassis I could fit extended axles to. Looks like a handsome loco though, a lot of the large Irish tanks are I think.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a few pics to give your inspiration

They show a lgb toy train box van repainted into a weathered grey
A LGb toy train stake wagon with repainted grey decking
A USA trains depressed centre wagon as yet unmodified

IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0889.JPG IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0891.JPG

Dan

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
Re GRS conversion kits: I bought a box of bits at the MGRS a few years ago. The two 'long' halves of the LGB chassis were present, plus a GRS cattle van kit, a bag of white metal castings, axle boxes and brake rigging, which were not labelled, but I think are GRS L&B parts. The 'short' sections of chassis were not present but the gondola body was. The cattle van was built and fitted to the lwb chassis. The gondola chassis was built using the pre-cut plasticard and plastruct parts, which were also in the box, and the white-metal parts. I don't know if the chassis parts were supplied originally by GRS or manufactured by the previous owner. Anyway I recently decided to modify a gondola and used some axle guards that I had in stock which I think were GRS products, probably W&L, built a chassis and brake gear using plastic and brass strip for the handle. The brake shoes and hangers came from the removed LGB chassis. I cut off the 4 outer ones so that the removed chassis is still usable.

The two chassis for comparison. IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG The finished chassis and the wagon ready for the paint shop. IMG_1004.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 0

WSRbloke

Registered
20 Oct 2017
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, here's a photo of my little train in gauge1. All have been 3d printed by me.
Ron

Attachments

• 20171017_103827.jpg
    20171017_103827.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 0

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sid

I missed this topic when you opened it up as I was in the US at the time. It is a subject dear to my heart. I refer you back to Gizzy's post #5 regarding the Claptowte Railway. I have attached the link to the photo album, if you are not already aware of it, and there are several topics in the scratch building section on how the models were made. Sorry if you are already aware.

https://www.gscalecentral.net/media/albums/the-claptowte-railway-freight-stock.47/

160304.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users