dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have over the years been creating a Wagon Fleet that aims to mimic wagons that are or were on the Harz in the 80’s. My latest project is this update to a former USA Bogie Staked Wagon. What I was attempting to achieve is this.
CE3B1898-C921-4743-9A7C-1F102E9A482A.jpeg
The donor has already had a bit or work and has had many years of abuse being left outside in my garden at Luton 24/7/365 for quite a few years so has been well weathered. At some stage it got some end pieces stolen from a play train wagon ending up looking like this.
A4C5F281-6E8D-44FB-B002-CB01EDBC1950.jpeg
So today I have taken off those end pieces and with some serious hacking taken off the two boards mounting them between and above the 2 remaining ones to lower their heigh a bit. The staunchions had been replaced many moons ago with some cut rail but this was still a little high so a few mm was taken off the top of them. I then cut up some suitable thickness ply to make cross raised planks scribing them with an old hack saw blade to get some grain. A good thick coat of brown was also required to loose the underlying different colours of the ply laminations. Also there is a mounding roughly centre line where a couple of L shapes either side are used to define where a removable load of some sort went. This revealed the original red LGB plastic which needed to be lost with more grain application and paint. Finally an end platform rail was soldered up and painted to go one end. The end result is seen below.
DC3D9B39-89DB-4BA0-BA56-4ABF3AACFDC6.jpeg
Clearly not a perfect exact match, the bogie sits too high and the stake placement is not quite right but both those would be tricky to revise. For the time being it is quite pleasing to me and that is all I ask.

I will add any new stick revisions to this thread and when I get round to it link my previous conversions so that things can be found easier.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
It looks really fantastic. Do you use an airbrush for the weathering?

As someone that has a loose scope of prototypes for my own layout/setup - I have an immense respect for the level of detail on your railway!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It looks really fantastic. Do you use an airbrush for the weathering?

As someone that has a loose scope of prototypes for my own layout/setup - I have an immense respect for the level of detail on your railway!
No not used an air brush on this, just a spray paint and a long time outside. but I have just done some more weathering using acrylic paint and lots of water it does work very well if you use blacks and browns and also the dirty water that you use to give initial paint brush wash after acrylics. You can with this method start less and build up if you are a little bit timid about weathering, just use more water. If you find it not adhering a little drop of washing up liquid helps.