Constructing Container Flat Wagons for 2 TEU Containers

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As mentioned in my thread in Freight Wagons, the discovery and purchase of 1/24 scale container models from China which although not marketed as railway models are very close to the scale railways I collect (i.e. LGB / Piko 1:22.5 mainly White Pass and Yukon locos and rolling stock). In another thread I discuss the scale issues I found with container models of 20'containers produced by these makers being out of scale regarding the length of the container.
Piko G containers

However the models I found were accurate to 1/24 in every respect and therefore desirable.
Intermodal Shipping Containers

My next problem was that I did not have suitable flat wagons to carry them. As there seem to be no solutions, second hand or new, I decided to construct my own. The photographic story continues below.
parts.jpg

After looking at styrene extrusions and not finding any suitable sizes I was taken by aluminium at my local hardware. After sketching out some possible solutions and guided by various photographs of container wagon types used in Australia I decided on trying aluminium pieces bonded with superglue. Extrusions included; channel, flat and angle.
It worked very well.
P1070331.jpg P1070336.jpg
I used an LGB WP&Y container flat wagon as a guide for dimensions and bogie placement.

construction - 2.jpg
The main frame finished with bogie pegs made from aluminium tube fitted.

construction -3a.jpg construction -3b.jpg
Part of the centre frame cut away to enable bogies to swing further. As it turned out this was not necessary as the radius of the track curves did not require it.

construction -4.jpg
Completed bar fitting of the container posts, brake system and painting. Note second wagon under construction.

test run.jpg
Two wagons, painted with 2 TEU containers each on a successful test run to check that bogies did not foul and that couplers worked correctly. Also tested that their weight did not inhibit running.

brake parts.jpg brake system fitted 1.jpg brake wheels.jpg
A friend kindly printed some parts for the brakes; air tank ends and supports, AB unit and brake cylinder. With some printed steps this completed the units.

P1070307.jpg P1070309.jpg P1070311.jpg P1070314.jpgP1070317.jpg
Container flat wagons now operational.

P1070310.jpg
A view of the Garden Railway at Penfield, Adelaide, South Australia. The shunting yard.

Next projects:
2 redesigned 2xTEU flat cars to add to my rolling stock.
Build a Tanktainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
how well does al and superglue do longterm?

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have found that aluminium does not bond very well with most adhesives, unless specific (aluminium) primer is used.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I find it best to 'key' aluminium immediately before applying adhesive.
My theory is that it is quite reactive (in its own way) so you get the finest layer of oxide, very quickly..

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
For glueing aluminium i use "putty" of polymax, high tec.
Dont use their colored stuff, those will not hold for even one year, just the plain white.
Sand your alu, apply high tec, it should last 3 years plus.
And i put it in very worse conditions, still going strong and stil elastic.

my 2 cents.