Billington Light Railway - A Exercise in 32mm and 45mm

angr607

Owner, Bowaters models
31 Aug 2011
Billingshurst
www.bowatersmodels.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
After a long period of inactivity, my LGB line has finally resurfaced. Abet on a much smaller scale than last time but there is potential to expand in time. My interests these days tend to be 32mm which means that outside, 75% of the track is 32mm gauge, however, there is a small 45mm gauge line growing. Running Bowaters Models means I need to be able to test on both gauges to its about time the 45mm appeared!

To start things off, here's the original post from my Garden Railway blog covering it from both a 32mm and 45mm gauge perspective.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of days later than planned, it is done (almost). It took two of us (me and dad) 6 hours to complete but its been worth it.

5ey5hy.jpg

The first job was the remove the turf from the section of garden. Surprisingly easy to do but still took a long time.

ev28wk.jpg

Next, we put down the weed proof membrane onto the ground. Something I didn't do on the existing railway and boy, do I regret not doing it!

qpfn6a.jpg

Next, the fun stuff starts. Ballasting! First pass took 12 bags of gravel with the second pass taking another 3. The membrane got trimmed as well at this point.

9auyc2.jpg

First track then went down. 45mm gauge first as its easier to lay. LGB track was used thoughout and unsurprisingly was down in minutes. First time I've had 45mm gauge out in about 5 years!

33yt16g.jpg

Now the track that will see the most use, The 32mm! Passing loop is long enough for a Brazil and two WHR coaches (Note, WHR not FR) which should be good. Only one joint needs trimming but the weather turned awful at that point so.... that can wait for another day. The track also needs packing but I suspect that will have to wait until better weather so I can get a loco out and start to test it all!

Safe to say I'm happy with the progress. I'm out of 32mm track now plus the parents want to see it bedded in before approving stage 3 so that's for another day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

In that post, there is mention of Brazils. That's because I operate a fleet of Accucraft and IPE Motive power which is all dual gauge. In fact, although most of the fleet is on 32mm, 'Leader' my first Brazil is on 45mm gauge after a recent visit to a 45mm gauge line!

IMG_1067-768x432.jpg

With the 45mm track now down and to a extend operational, I finally got all the remaining 45mm gauge stock out. I have more than I thought! That said, although I don't plan for it to expand, if a Bachmann Lyn ever becomes available at a price I can afford, then I will be buying one because although I used to own one, I want another!

Cheers,

Jon

angr607

Owner, Bowaters models
31 Aug 2011
Billingshurst
www.bowatersmodels.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

angr607

Owner, Bowaters models
31 Aug 2011
Billingshurst
www.bowatersmodels.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Fast forward a couple of months and we now have a relaid railway! With a 5 yard 32mm gauge line extension and a relocated station, the completed extension down the garden is complete!!! The line is about as long as I can manage for now and I doubt I can get permission to extend around the back of the shed to run down the back of the garden but you never know! We never thought I'd have a permanent railway let alone the other things happening so I'll definitely take what I can for now. I've also redesigned the LGB so it fits better and is longer.

207p0di.jpg

First signs of life. New ballast to raise the trackbed and the first sections of LGB being laid.

nc1nae.jpg

Track newly laid including the new mainline to the right.

15s6j5c.jpg

The newly moved station area included extended sidings.

The first light engine movement has happened and went surprisingly well. Sadly no pictures of that as it was one of my manual locos so running around after it was the priority.

Hopefully, the first steam will follow at the weekend. Sadly I have other matters to deal with before I can even think about it. That said, I'm happy with what I've managed on my own this time!

Jon

Reactions: 1 user