Bashing and building 'The General" 4-4-0 1/24 scale layout.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
121111018.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi John. I've been following this thread since your first posting. The goal was not obvious at the opening and, indeed, was a little confusing to say the least. You obviously have an interest in the history of movie making as well as an equally obvious talent for modelling. The question for me is quite simple; are you going to make a film (using the known techniques of the industry)? If not, I think your project would not have a satisfactory conclusion!

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Hi ! Not so much a film as a storyboard diorama or mini-layout(module) using a series of stills to tell my story. Thank you for your interest.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
211111002.jpg

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
thinkin it comin from a western film?......mmmmmmm...sound kool..

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Shame you apparently cut the 'logs' from a lacquered piece of dowel rod without distressing the pieces...... not sure that the sawdust? doesn't look a bit too much like sand - perhaps, now you have our attention, an explanation will follow :thinking:

Rob

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Hi ! the sand is sand ,the dowel is dowel but this is the mockup side of the tender.Remember this is a movie set!

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
221111005.jpg

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
221111008.jpg

Morton's Car

The choice I have here is between a straight passenger car or a combo.
The first choice would be to pretty much scratchbuild the whole thing beginning with the shell.The lower combo car has some of the work already done for me.Having already built a wood version I think it may be fun to do the plastic version and make it look like wood.
Luckily for me the plastic itself is colored and not just painted which will make my job a lot easier.It is also more interesting as it is already broken down into two sections passengers and baggage. The baggage side could be set up for movie making purposes while the passenger side could contain a portion of Morton's car as seen in the movie.
This is an abandoned movie set so a lot of stuff would have been removed and the set will be depicted as having fallen into some disrepair.
The steps at the far right I can use for Jill's arrival scene and the view through the windows will be of Monument Valley.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
JohnReid said:
Hi ! the sand is sand ,the dowel is dowel but this is the mockup side of the tender.Remember this is a movie set!

I suggest you add subtitles to your 'movies' then John! or were we supposed to guess this was the backside of your work?

Rob

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Rob,Rob,Rob Why so aggressive ? Chill out man!

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Tarted ! Yeah your right but it leaves me lots of room for artistic license. Love it!

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
221111013.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Please don't patronise me John, we are generally a very polite society in the UK and tend to suffer fools rather than comment...... the points I've made are simply (1) in my opinion your thread sadly doesn't live up to the original implied billing for enthusiasts of garden railways.... i.e. you are modelling for static displays and most probably indoors and therefor bring little new to working model problem solving (2) You tend to post pictures that anyone of us could post (as this current one) with no explanation of your reasoning..... maybe the final effort will be a beautiful 'Pullman' replica.... why not let us into the secret?????

Rob, Rob, Rob
.... so good you named me thrice

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Bye Bye !

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Unless i am reading this in the wrong way we appear to have two members ganging up on another for whatever reasons i for one do not find this acceptable under any circumstances.!!!!!!!!!!!

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
Unless i am reading this in the wrong way we appear to have two members ganging up on another for whatever reasons i for one do not find this acceptable under any circumstances.!!!!!!!!!!!

What the Meerkat said. Com'n guys it's not on.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
221111010.jpg

This is all way too crowded together but it gives you guys an idea about how the final composition will look.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
[style="color: #0000ff;"]I would like to offer my sincerest apology to anyone concerned by my constructive criticism on this post.

At the beginning I though the title of the thread ("Bashing and building 'The General" 4-4-0 1/24 scale layout") was extremely interesting and full of potential but it became clear that this was not a project relating to building a working model and commented that I was consequently disappointed. Equally, I find the posting of unexplained pictures frustrating - a simple title is easy to include isn't it?

By all means check my comments across all threads since I have been a 'member' - I think you will find that they are substantially supportive and appreciative of good work or helpful information. I am, and think it is good to be, open to constructive criticism as this is an honest and a profitable basis for learning from more experienced people.

Perhaps I might suggest extending the content of "Buildings Bridges & Lineside" to
"Buildings Bridges, Lineside & Static Models" to accommodate the standard of work that John Reid wants to show us!

Regards
Rob

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
It is to John's credit that he is continuing to post his photos and any explanations.

I have watched this thread from the start. I definitely got the impression that it was a static model that John was building from very early on. And that it was going to be a small diorama scene in a small station.
He has decided to post photos without descriptions and then post expalnations separately. It is different to how most of us do it but that is fine.
He has been courteous all of the time but has had some comments that might not be construed as being the same.
This is the sort of thread that I see on some other American forums where things are not progressed smoothly and things get very fiery.
We do have a few things that are not perfect on our forum but we are generally generous with our praise and give comments that can be taken on by people in a supportive way.
Forums are not really the best place to be impatient with people as you only have a limited medium to express that impatience and it can come across as being a lot more aggressive that it really is. Whereas in a face to face discussion all would be evident.