Bashing and building 'The General" 4-4-0 1/24 scale layout.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
wow.tht is great! it for display mate?

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
From this angle it will be all movie set.The unfinished Bachmann car will be gutted in the mid section.The last two windows and stairs will be retained as will the last 3-4 windows between the cars as that will be where the double sided Monument Valley screen will go.As I noted before the gutted locomotive will hardly even be seen at all but the tender will be another story.This is an abandoned lot so an old poster from the movie could go on the side and of course wood will be piled on top.
I prefer this staggered look rather than the round idea for a layout/diorama at this scale and yet it remains interesting for the viewer when viewed from any angle.The whole purpose of this layout/diorama is educational for kids to know how old movies were made before the modern era of animation etc...When finished I will probably offer it to a museum of science and technology for display purposes.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
steven large said:
wow.tht is great! it for display mate?
Thank you for your kind words,glad you like it.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Looking very nice John :D

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Thank you Ritchie ,glad that your enjoying my stuff.
Cheers ! John.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Ross for Moderator !!
open the poll booths as soon as possible
Rob

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
I have seen this model of the general used in garden railways before.Usually as a dummy at a station or an exhibit in a park setting.Garden railways pass all kinds of things on their travels why not a movie set ?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with you there John.

It's a G Scale forum, so not necessary about garden railways.

We are a broad based church....

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Building a movie set is not necessarily a diorama but the same as any other structure that you would care to build in G scale and add to your layout.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Hi John

Perhaps you should post NON motive locos under the Bridges & Lineside heading on GSC - I did wonder (by my earlier response to this thread) how you were going to replicate the General et al's wheel size - now I understand why you didn't give any details.... much more straight forward if the wheels are only for display!

Regards & disappointed
Rob

JohnReid said:
Building a movie set is not necessarily a diorama but the same as any other structure that you would care to build in G scale and add to your layout.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Rob I am a newbie to building locomotives.I had and I still have no idea of what you are talking about when you mention wheel sizes.
Sorry, but it is not my area of expertise.No need to be disappointed though,;) it is what it is.
I have another so maybe I will motorize it next for fun ,once I learn the basics on this one.If there is one thing my 71 winters have taught me is to only talk about what you know or have done yourself and of course to always keep an open mind to doing things in a new or different way.:clap:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Hi John - very prolific photo album for a 'newbie' ...... congrats :admire::admire::admire::admire::admire::admire:

My wheel size question related to the fact that most motorised US outline locomotives I have come across (I've only been modelling 'G' since early 2010 ) have relatively small driving wheel whereas the type you have chosen ( early US 4-4-0 ) have relatively massive drivers (the second 4 ).... I imagine this is because motor-blocks tend to be mounted on a standard chassis which dictates the wheel radius/diameter....
I would love to create a working model of the General so perhaps you can understand why I was interested to hear how you were going to cope with this. My question became redundant when I realised you were simply building a static locomotive diorama and therefore you had no interest in overcoming this technical problem.

Rather than being disappointed by your lengthy tome, in the right place (thread group) I would have been one of the first to join your admirers.

Regards
Rob

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Thanks Rob ! I guess we will have to agree to disagree as to whether or I belong here or not. Cheers ! John.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
You know I think that this would make a great model either as a entertainment park scene or a dummy locomotive.Model trains pass many structures on their journeys ,a movie set is just one of those structures that can be depicted in scale.
I have heard that this kit is subject to warping.This is probably true if left out in the sun on hot tracks,sand,pavement etc....I have tested the plastic myself and it is no more subject to this problem than any other plastic that I have worked with.And yes there are options,one of those being to support the structure before assembly.I think that I would try coating the interior of the larger pieces with exopy,fiberglass or some other warp resistant material.Where the plastic touches hot metal like tracks make a section of the wheels in wood which is a great insulator.
For indoor setting I don't see a problem at all unless you were to put it next to a wood stove or other high heat generating source.When I do my 2nd General I will experiment with this a little further.
As far as availability is concerned just do some networking.I am sure that there are lots of Generals sitting in closets waiting to be built.I got the one that I am working on now for the price of the postage.It was partially started (a small bit of the tender) but no harm was done and the parts were still all there.I have also seen many sell on ebay for less than 50 bucks,new and in the plastic packages.
Personally if I was to do a G scale layout I would do it with a movie making theme of which the General would be just one of the structures that I pass along the way.I would do it as a "out of season" amusement park thus avoiding anything that would move other than the train .Having to make or modify all those figures would also be quite unnecessary.
Sounds like fun doesn't it ?

Once Upon a time.........dioramas by JohnReid