Bashing and building 'The General" 4-4-0 1/24 scale layout.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Rob, after seeing your first try, i studied for more than one hour "the General" that historic documental by professor B. Keaton.
i think, the number and placement of wheels is not that important. but you made a very big mistake. the knucklecoupler at the front is, what does not fit!
go, study it for yourself: http://kormsen.info/ (scroll down)

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Hi Korm
Can't imagine what you think is wrong with the front coupler - they just air-brushed it out of your copy of the BK film.... I read somewhere that a guy in South America picked up on it :rofl:
The 'General' has been my favourite B&W silent since I was a boy.... Charlie Chaplin.... Huh! and that's where my fascination came from (note the name of my railroad company) - my wife has fingermarks around her neck for being too fussy about the available firewood :D
Anyway I must withdraw from this diversion and return the thread to Mr Reid and his exhibition General.

Bye for now :wave:
Rob

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi John some great looking models there :clap:
I have a model of the General think it was made by Airfix will post some pics for you .

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
That would be wonderful Richie.Thank you !

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi John
Heres a few pics of my static model of the General it's a little larger than 45mm could be G64 looks to be around 1/24 scale .
1c6d95f5ed6c45158c8cc89e801b3cda.jpg

39d0b0302b234497a054d13b1d1cea90.jpg

46955dedf9064d72aadec43e653a61d8.jpg

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

this looks familiar !

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Richie is this a static display model ! beautiful.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
JohnReid said:
Richie is this a static display model ! beautiful.

Hi John
The model is only static none of the wheels or valve work will turn comes with a stand for it to sit on .

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
I was wondering has anyone here had a problem with allergies and super glue ? I have had some problems in the past with the fumes but lately it seems to be getting worse.I am very careful about exiting the fumes outdoors but just handling the stuff now seems to be a problem and of course there is always some fume residue lurking around.I have been using it for years but lately the symptoms seem to be getting more troublesome with even some skin reactions involved.Filters and masks don't work either.
I love my hobby but I don't want to croak because of it.
Is there a good substitute for ca ? something that sets up quickly but is not too toxic ?

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
You know this is actually a great little kit but it did test my patience at times.Most of the problems are with the instructions and the hard to read identification #'s of the parts on their sprues.In a kit of this size and complexity I wonder how many ever actually got finished.I know mine had been started years ago by someone else and I picked it up for the price of the postage.If the manufacturers had put a little more money into the actual kit and less in marketing a nice box ,it would have been money well spent.It makes me wonder how many potential modelers have lost their interest in building due to this problem.I know that if I hadn't of had lots of prior experience mine would probably be still in the box in the cupboard too.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
JohnReid said:
You know this is actually a great little kit but it did test my patience at times.Most of the problems are with the instructions and the hard to read identification #'s of the parts on their sprues.In a kit of this size and complexity I wonder how many ever actually got finished.I know mine had been started years ago by someone else and I picked it up for the price of the postage.If the manufacturers had put a little more money into the actual kit and less in marketing a nice box ,it would have been money well spent.It makes me wonder how many potential modelers have lost their interest in building due to this problem.I know that if I hadn't of had lots of prior experience mine would probably be still in the box in the cupboard too.

I think it looks like the same kit i made John took me several weeks to complete painted all the parts first then built the kit toaching up any paint after . I remember using a liquid glue to fix it altogeather .

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Yes I am sure that they are one in the same,not an easy build.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
JohnReid said:
I was wondering has anyone here had a problem with allergies and super glue ? I have had some problems in the past with the fumes but lately it seems to be getting worse.I am very careful about exiting the fumes outdoors but just handling the stuff now seems to be a problem and of course there is always some fume residue lurking around.I have been using it for years but lately the symptoms seem to be getting more troublesome with even some skin reactions involved.Filters and masks don't work either.
I love my hobby but I don't want to croak because of it.
Is there a good substitute for ca ? something that sets up quickly but is not too toxic ?

It seems to be a fairly common problem mate. And, as you have noticed, once you start to notice it, it gets worse more quickly. The aircraft boys use loads of superglue and this topic crops up often.
I am not aware of any long term problem - Its just blinking inconvienient.
Fresh air is my only recommendation. Sorry.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Thank you Alan .