Bashing and building 'The General" 4-4-0 1/24 scale layout.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Gscale094.jpg

Here is a little example that I did on the movie making side of the old station car.There just is no comparison between the plastic and real wood and it really isn't hard to do on the outside of the car.Morton's car will be dark green however.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
JohnReid said:
Well I have decided to add a few more months work to the project.I was originally planning to save a little time by just weathering the exterior of this car but because nothing looks as good as the real thing,wood, I now plan to board it up instead.I have also opened up all the doors both interior and exterior for better camera angle shots of the interior.I will retain the red framed windows and stain the siding about the same green.
On the roof it is presently what looks like a fine sandpaper type surface.Does anyone here know what may have been used on the real thing ? A tar paper or canvas material ?
I could use a cloth backed sandpaper of appropriate grit and just paint it .Any ideas ?
hi mate so i ave been using a roof slates from my sandpaper rough one..then paint it matt black with some weatherin to make oo real thing on my scatchbuiting MICHEAL MYERS 1-8th halloween HOUSE AND PORCH WITH garden;) with figure!! last oct 11s:clap:!! oo exellent and real thing:love:,,,so do u want me posted fews pictures of it?
by the way yr skills is brillant on scatchbuiltin and kitbashing:love: awesome and pain stakin work.:D keep postin ere as we all know tht u are very good skill man....well done ....cant wait til all done...take times ok...

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Please note:

I have moved all the pictures in my photobucket taken up until now ,from the General Album to the G Scale Trains Album.Moving pics will cause them to delete in the General thread but they are still available on my G scale album for those who may be interested.

Bending stripwood:

Bending wood is simple for a rectangular roof such as this,shipbuilding is another story.I just use plain old warm tap water and soak the area that I want to bend for a few minutes in this case.(The thicker the wood ,the longer the soak) .I then take an old stick type hair curler and put it in a holding devise,I use a clamp. I then let it warm up to hair curling temperature which seems to be just perfect for bending thin strip wood like this.I hold the dry end in one hand and with the other wet end I use a pencil with an eraser on the end and apply increasing amounts of pressure with the eraser until I get what I am looking for.

Why the eraser end ,well it helps as a tool for bending instead of your fingers and tends not to slip on the wet surface.Keep checking that you are getting the proper bend and re-soak and do it again if necessary.You will want to slightly over bend it as there is a certain amount of spring back when the pressure is remove.If the piece of wood you are working with keeps breaking turn it over and try to bend it the other way.Use only straight grained wood running lengthwise on the strip as cross grain simply won't work without breaking.Most hobby woods bend without any problems.I used the thin long type coffee stir stiks used to stir the extra large double doubles.Your local coffee shop manager may sell you a box for a few bucks especially when you tell him what your using them for.He probably built models too in his younger days !

Most stiks and tongue depressors are birch wood ,which is in the hardwood category. So depending on the thickness they will require more soaking time in hotter water than say basswood , popular or pine.Have fun and good luck !

The above is in answer to a question I got from a another modeler.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Hi Steven ! thanks for your kind words.I would love to see your pics.:)