Bashing and building 'The General" 4-4-0 1/24 scale layout.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
I don't feel the need to put a lot of fake windows in this car because of the reflective glass would be not good for movie making.Besides the windows provided in the kit are of poor quality and only serve to distort any image when trying to shoot through them.
Because this would leave the interior open to the elements,subtle weathering will have to be employed as I would still like to retain some of the beauty of the woodwork.
In those days the finish would probably be a varnish of some kind which actually seems to weather quite well judging by my own 30 year old tool shed that has been subject to Canadian extremes.In a warmer and dryer environment it would do quite well I
should think.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
011211007-1.jpg

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
wow.....it really gettin improved....keep going mate...exellent work! yes it fun to do!

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Ya know when aging and weathering hardwoods I found found that the best way to do it is too weather it as it would do naturally,in other words from a polished finish to a dull.In this way you can retain the beauty of the grain as it seemingly ages.The birch floor for example was originally a gloss finish that was dulled using very fine sandpaper for the wear and tear, then chalk pastels representing the build up of crud over the years ,followed by a spray of matte acrylic fixative to hold it all in place.Later more crud can be built up in all the cracks and crevasses
and to create shadows.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
011211005.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
outstanding.. love it:clap:

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Hi steven ! What are you working on these days?

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Thanks mike ! love rule 8.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Fantastic work Love the wood interior John :clap:

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
I will be shooting stills through the windows for my own picture taking purposes.For actual movie making it would be at the directors discretion I guess.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
031211003-1.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Fantastic John :clap:

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Thanks guys for your kind words !;)

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Well I have decided to add a few more months work to the project.I was originally planning to save a little time by just weathering the exterior of this car but because nothing looks as good as the real thing,wood, I now plan to board it up instead.I have also opened up all the doors both interior and exterior for better camera angle shots of the interior.I will retain the red framed windows and stain the siding about the same green.
On the roof it is presently what looks like a fine sandpaper type surface.Does anyone here know what may have been used on the real thing ? A tar paper or canvas material ?
I could use a cloth backed sandpaper of appropriate grit and just paint it .Any ideas ?

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
duplipost.8|

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Gscale091-1.jpg

From previous research I was able to determine what the boards look like under the finishing material.I have also seen tin used in a kind of sheet and batten arrangement.What I am confused about is what would have been used when this car was built around 1860 ?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If the American car builders were anything like those in the British Isles it was usually white lead paint and canvas but I get the impression (like you say) of metal sheet with beading on the joints sometimes. Also (but maybe not always), two layers of planking - one fine quality for the ceiling and the other for the roof's outer skin. It would be interesting to find out exactly what was used during this period.

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Still workin' on it Mick !

JohnReid

Registered
12 Oct 2011
Best answers
Gscaletrains018-2.jpg

Old weather beaten ceiling from inside with a wood frame underneath and another layer of boards on top to create the roof.