are lgb transformer are better than a.craft basic enginner?

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi out there so are lgb transformer are better than a.craft basic enginner? coz need to know what volts are this basic engineer remote from a.craft tht i have been using for my nw-2 to ran it so hw many volts are these LGB transformer? any advice as i got with me at home and havent try it yet....
so im happy with my basic engineer but need to know about volts on nw-2?..need power to ran with fleets of stockcars..../

thks u........................

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are you taking about Transformers or Controllers here Steve?

LGB controllers are 22-24 Volts DC, but you may need to consider the current draw for your locos.

The LGB controller from an LGB set, is around 1/2 to 1 Amp, depending on the type. More expensive ones are available, with the Jumbo having a current rating of I believe 10A.

I don't know what voltage and current the basic Train Engineer (I am assuming you mean the orange one) is, so I would need you to inform me of those details please?

Then I can tell you if the LGB controller will be sufficient for your needs....

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
yes tht rite got orange one tht u press the pads for forward and backwards aslo emenery stop aslo fast and slow..just normal one...so i will go and get my lgb ok and post comments ok?

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
got it......transformer from lgb.....5003
22o volts
6.0 va-14 volts..for lite up a.manual point ... wiring up

7.5. va--16 volts.....for tracks....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure it's 16 Volts for the track (red/blue connections) on the LGB 5003 Controller Steve?

I'd expect at least 20-24 Volts DC.

Note that the supply for points and lights is AC (black/white connections).

Also what is the output voltage and current for your Train Engineer please?

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The basic train engineer has maximum input ratings of 20 volts and up to 2.5 amps. Your NW2 hauling a lengthy train will take almost 2 amps, more if lights and smoke are turned on. Small starter set speed controllers cannot give this amount of power continuously.

You will need a power source that provides 20 volts and up to 2.5 amps simultaneously. Some G scalers have used a surplus laptop power supply, others have bought purpose made power supplies, and those with the required skills, have made their own. If making your own, think safety, safety, safety!

Brixham

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
yes u got tht rite sbout lgb........spot on....

basic engineer from train set tht i use it for the nw-2 is BASIC TRAIN ENGINEER --art 5480 ...fitted with 9 volt battery inside the remote.....
transformer is....output 230
input 15 volts.......
but it ok but are they ok?.....or ..........

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brixham said:
The basic train engineer has maximum input ratings of 20 volts and up to 2.5 amps. Your NW2 hauling a lengthy train will take almost 2 amps, more if lights and smoke are turned on. Small starter set speed controllers cannot give this amount of power continuously.

Brixham

Thanks for that info re the Basic TE Mr Brixham!

In that case Steve, to answer your original question, then the Train Engineer is more suited to your needs, as it has a current rating of 2.5 Amps, much more than the LGB 5003 unit that you have.

The only issue with the Basic Train Engineer is that it uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) rather than pure DC. I won't go into technical details, but you should only use it with Aristocraft locos....

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
transformer is....output 230 input 15 volts....... but it ok but are they ok?.....or ..........

Actually...it's the other way round....

input is 230 v...mains power!!
output is 15 volts....track power...

The issue is that the 15 volts is only up to 1 amp...and your NW2 is a hungry loco that wants more amps..which it will try to take...and overload the power unit...maybe causing a thermal trip to operate..or even destroy the power unit.

An analogy would be like putting a mini engine into a large articulated truck. Sure, the truck will move, but couldn't pull a load at any speed, and would probably blow up the engine.

Brixham

PS Disclaimer..... Other small cars are available

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brixham said:
transformer is....output 230 input 15 volts....... but it ok but are they ok?.....or ..........

Actually...it's the other way round....

input is 230 v...mains power!!
output is 15 volts....track power...

The issue is that the 15 volts is only up to 1 amp...and your NW2 is a hungry loco that wants more amps..which it will try to take...and overload the power unit...maybe causing a thermal trip to operate..or even destroy the power unit.

An analogy would be like putting a mini engine into a large articulated truck. Sure, the truck will move, but couldn't pull a load at any speed, and would probably blow up the engine.

Brixham

PS Disclaimer..... Other small cars are available

Ah good point! And I like the analogy.

If the Basic TE is only getting 15 Volts then it will not supply the higher current draw that you need Steve.

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't seen a basic TE, so I don't know if it is easily upgraded with a power supply which will give greater volts and current, up to the maximum allowed?

Would anyone else know?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brixham said:
You will need a power source that provides 20 volts and up to 2.5 amps simultaneously.

Brixham
My posts are crossing with Mr Brixham's.

Can anyone recommend a suitable Power Supply for Steve to upgrade his TE please....

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
thks to u both so do u think i shud stick with my basic engineer all the time?...coz i can walkaround with remote....awesome....been using it for yrs...funny really i did try to press it indoor and the trains working!!!! awesome...loves it but i need to sell my lgb transformer....or swap.....mmm..what it worth?....i brought tht for 5 quids!!!...

so do i have to oil or lube it every yr on my nw-2 o r?......what are yr advices?......

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
steven large said:
thks to u both so do u think i shud stick with my basic engineer all the time?...coz i can walkaround with remote....awesome....been using it for yrs...funny really i did try to press it indoor and the trains working!!!! awesome...loves it but i need to sell my lgb transformer....or swap.....mmm..what it worth?....i brought tht for 5 quids!!!...

so do i have to oil or lube it every yr on my nw-2 o r?......what are yr advices?......

Steven can i ask you a question

did your NW2 run well on your track when you first got it and now it runs not so good

i ask this because in the past few days youve ask questions about track cleaning power supply and now loco maintainance

I just wondering if all you need is a bit of an overal but keeping the stuff you have

i notice on your videos that they seem jecky that might be the camara but could be power to the loco

Have to go to work now but sure someone will carry on with this

Tony

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
steven large said:

Your LGB 5003 controller is probably worth....£5! They come in train sets, so there are loys of them on the market.

As for servicing your NW2, I guess that you don't have the instruction manual for it?

Maybe someone on here can either advise, or post a linky that might help you....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
steven large said:
hi out there so are lgb transformer are better than a.craft basic enginner? coz need to know what volts are this basic engineer remote from a.craft tht i have been using for my nw-2 to ran it so hw many volts are these LGB transformer? any advice as i got with me at home and havent try it yet....
so im happy with my basic engineer but need to know about volts on nw-2?..need power to ran with fleets of stockcars..../

thks u........................

yes

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
now but sure someone will carry on with this Tony Life's to short--------- And so is my back garden
Tony said:
steven large said:

Steven can i ask you a question

did your NW2 run well on your track when you first got it and now it runs not so good

i ask this because in the past few days youve ask questions about track cleaning power supply and now loco maintainance

I just wondering if all you need is a bit of an overal but keeping the stuff you have

i notice on your videos that they seem jecky that might be the camara but could be power to the loco

Have to go to work now but sure someone will carry on with this

Tony
hi tony....yes my nw-2 are fine,,,just the camera moving a bits..lol...but this nw-2 is over 10 yrs old!!!.....so last time i has sw-4 before,,it was smoooooooooth running......then sold it......
so now i have nw-2 with me coz i loves it.....i know it very old but the wheels are exellent...think im not sure it cud be the tracks tht need cleaning........i have cleaning it but the basic engineer are ok....when u press and hold the pad for the nw-2 to ran it and suddenly it went from slow to fast!!!!..tht why i have to press,press.press til normal speed for it

so im happy with yr stuffs that u send me so i need to sort this basic engineer remote.......