1/24 - 1/25 Is there a real difference ??

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, I do understand the point made. The size of a match box was the inspiration of making a toy vehicle of that size but 'Matchbox' car boxes were not the same as actual match boxes and has nothing to do with a specific scale. They were not as flat and opened differently. It was a good marketing idea originally inspired by a limitation of what size toy a child could take to school.
Back to trains. The French Resistance produced matchbooks containing instructions on how to derail Nazi trains printed on the inside cover. :eek:
http://museumofeverydaylife.org/wp-content/uploads/french-resistancematchbk.jpg

20B91-1.jpg

Last edited:

Blackreed

Dan Black
14 Aug 2019
Pennsylvania
Best answers
When I saw this I didn’t know how to respond, and after reading the responses, this is what I got, there is very little difference between the two scales, some models are actually built to look good, over their true appearance, the matchbox car is the best example of this.
If you have not looked into model car building, well you are missing a giant world of 1/24 and 1/25, as well as die cast wholesalers.com, check out all of the skill level 1 kits, no glue, no paint, assembly in minutes.

Now why all these scales? Mostly this is due to licensing, car manufacturers sell the rights over and over again in every conceivable scale for the intentions of making money.
Now there are manufacturers that have in house modeling like Manitowoc and others like Caterpillar that will only allow specific companies to see their plans, and then the likes of Rolls Royce of which build models for their own purposes, resulting in not very many people being able to afford them.

I guess if you are going to be keeping this stuff outside, well that could easily cause some issues.
Hope to see pictures of your car lots, and lots of car pictures.

Tas devil

Registered
7 Oct 2015
Tasmania
Best answers
Finding it hard to find 1/24 scale cars and trucks 40s- 60s era, however there does seem to be a few in 1/25 scale, My question is, would there be a noteable difference in size between the 2 scales, Any thoughts greatly appreciated, Thanks
Have you tried the MotorMax brand- they seem to have a few 1/24 scale from that era- and are not overly expensive, but have reasonable detaill.
cheers

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
Shown below is the difference between 1:25 and 1:24 scale 1982 Corvettes. It is very noticeable if you are putting together an 'every year' display side by side in a showcase. The 1:24 scale model looks very out of place in a 1:25 collection. If you don't park them next to each other outside, it is not that noticeable.

Incidentally, my understanding of the origins of the two scales varies from other comments. I believe 1:24 was born out of the ease of using english measure half inch to the foot since most measuring devices were in those units before metric measure. The 1:25 scale was said to have been popularized by Detroit automakers who did presentation models in 1:10 scale, which was more easily reduced to 1:25 for promotional models. The model companies kept that scale for kits of US cars.

DSCN8929 _2_.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I run mainly LGB which is 1:22.5, but my road vehicles are 1:24.

You wouldn't really notice the difference....
I use 1:24 vehicles on my 1:20,3 railroad as 1:18 (the only viable alternative) would look too large :confused:

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried the MotorMax brand- they seem to have a few 1/24 scale from that era- and are not overly expensive, but have reasonable detaill.
cheers
Thanks for that Tas, I Have looked at the Motormax collection, Some nice cars, But I am after British cars and they do seem to be hard to find

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that Tas, I Have looked at the Motormax collection, Some nice cars, But I am after British cars and they do seem to be hard to find
The Vanguard brand was / is 1:25 - you'll find them in cheap shops and junk shops antique outlets :nod::nod:

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Scale is annoying. I think most LGB models are too narrow, and many are too short. My White Pass Alco diesel is 1:22.5 high (Ofc it’s a 3 foot prototype so 1:20.3 would be “realistic”!) but about 1:27 on length and width!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use all of the scales on the layout but put the smaller scales at the back or half hidden.
I have a few 1:18 vehicles which I position selectively when I run 1:20.3 stock.

Most of my vehicles are 1:24 or 1:25 and some are large trucks and they do not look too bad when running 1:20.3 trains .

LGB scale trains are fine with 1:24 or 1:25 vehicles...
Aristo (1:29), USAT (1:29) or MTH (1:32) look great with 1:32 vehicles and can look fine also with 1:25/25 but anything larger does look a little out of whack.

I have used 1:32 vehicles but they are models of large trucks etc and placed way into the background with 1:29 buildings to force perspective.. .. although I have used a large 1:32 cattle truck in the mid ground and it is fine..

!:24/25 vehicles with 1:32 cattle truck disappearing into Pointrock township

budwieser deliveries come to point rock.jpg

1:24/25 and a 1:22.5 kit built truck at Arbour Summit

busy time in the new look Arbour Summit.jpg

1:24/25 vehicles at Arrowhead Township/mine

P1010644.jpg

arrowheadfront low wet.jpg

1:24/25 vehicles and boats ... and a selection of 1:32, 1:24 and 1:22.5 citizens at Koi Harbour
late sun harbour.jpg

Attachments

• P1010674.jpg
    P1010674.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users