Zillertal "Raimund" on analogue power

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I recently sold my Zillertal 20705 set locally, the buyer is new to "G" scale, and probably about as technically able as me. I did run "Raimund" during the summer and he ran fine as usual. However the buyer contacted my yesterday with a video of Raimund on test which does not look great at all. slow and jerky running. However he has assembled a test track entirely of R1 curves, and he's using power from an LGB starter set (fotos below). Since my railway is in winter hibernation I did not test it with him, but I am sure it's OK it has never had issues; so is it just lack of power plus endless R1 curves? In my shoes, and wanting to do the right thing by him, what would you recommend me to suggest/do?PHOTO-2024-01-14-18-38-06.jpgPHOTO-2024-01-14-13-21-27.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I guess the quartering could be out?

Check if the counterweight on each wheel are aligned....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I also wonder if the track is clean and the viability of connections at the rail joints?

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I guess the quartering could be out?

Check if the counterweight on each wheel are aligned....
Are you kindly able to describe where the counterweight sits? ( I still have a U2 which I can look at for reference if you are able to guide me to the right point)

That said, I last used it in early July, running as normal after which it came inside and spent the rest of the time on the shelf. Can counterweights get out of alignment that easily?

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I also wonder if the track is clean and the viability of connections at the rail joints?
It looks like the track is brand new out of the starter set he has acquired. I wish it were possible to post the videos he sent. What do you think about the starter pack power he is using? Should it be enough to power that loco? He actually sent me two videos, in the first he also had all three of the ZB coaches from the set on the track, and they have lights fitted, drawing from track power. So I asked him to take them off and see what difference there is. It looked like the loco was able to run a bit faster than before but certainly not smoothly or consistently. Also he is running it with lights and sound. If he turns them off and tries again, might we expect to see it a further improvement?

I suppose the easiest solution is to get it on to a proper working layout, but at this time of year easier said than done. It's been below freezing for a week. There's a shop I can take it to, but I'd only want to do that if I'm sure it isn't just the low power/R1 curves.
PHOTO-2024-01-14-18-38-06 2.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would clean the tyres, skates, and wheel-backs (where the carbon brushes rub..

The supply could be a little marginal, if the loco is struggling?

18Volts 36Watts,so 2Amps.

PhilP

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I've uploaded his two videos to Vimeo so you can all view the evidence at your leisure;)

VIDEO-2024-01-14-11-49-01 (lit coaches still on track)

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I would clean the tyres, skates, and wheel-backs (where the carbon brushes rub..

The supply could be a little marginal, if the loco is struggling?

18Volts 36Watts,so 2Amps.

PhilP
I did clean all three as best I could before putting it up for sale (wheel -backs I find a problem to clean the entire wheel because the chassis doesn't allow a cotton bud to get further up the wheel)

But also - and I could very easily be wrong here - but isn't the controller only allowing 1 amp? All of us beginners were told to move on up from that kit asap.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Power should be OK - ish..

It appears to run better in reverse, which leads me to think it *might* be a mechanical problem? - Possibly one tooth out of quarter.

Probably be a case of fiddling one axle one tooth one way. If it doesn't help, move that axle two-teeth the other way..
This supposes that a wheel has not moved on one end of one axle.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are you kindly able to describe where the counterweight sits? ( I still have a U2 which I can look at for reference if you are able to guide me to the right point)

That said, I last used it in early July, running as normal after which it came inside and spent the rest of the time on the shelf. Can counterweights get out of alignment that easily?
The counterweights are moulded into the wheels and on a model have no function.

But if you have an axle that has slipped a tooth, then you can see any mislignment easily.

I rotate the wheels so the counterweights on one side are all all the bottom. (On the other side they will be at 90 deg.) The cranks should be at the top.

On a six coupled loco this should be immediately apparent and will cause the problematic running you described....

Reactions: 1 user

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I recently sold my Zillertal 20705 set locally, the buyer is new to "G" scale, and probably about as technically able as me. I did run "Raimund" during the summer and he ran fine as usual. However the buyer contacted my yesterday with a video of Raimund on test which does not look great at all. slow and jerky running. However he has assembled a test track entirely of R1 curves, and he's using power from an LGB starter set (fotos below). Since my railway is in winter hibernation I did not test it with him, but I am sure it's OK it has never had issues; so is it just lack of power plus endless R1 curves? In my shoes, and wanting to do the right thing by him, what would you recommend me to suggest/do?View attachment 322808View attachment 322809
The LGB power supply and throttle is only 1 amp suitable for small locomotive starter sets such as a LGB Stainz and 2 - 3 two axle train cars. For larger LGB locomotives like the set you sold him, he should use the below LGB DC 5 amp power supply set or some other brand with equivalent-power.

1705761548131.png1705761584814.png

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
This is a very "minor" point but and not really effect this problem. they may need to keep an eye on the wires going into of the controller. The push type grips need to full grip the wire and can be temperamental from experience., there looks to be a difference in the amount of wire thats inserted (the Red sticks out more, and may only be gripping the insulation). as I say, a small thing but them basic controllers were always a little nasty.,