Xls - Problems With Sounds From Function Keys

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All,
Have just fitted XLS decoders to two Forney loco's.. Identical (or should be!).

One is fine, the other has a strange effect on a Massoth CS. - It is fine on my Digitrax unit.
The motor, and light, functions are fine. Sounds when running are OK. It is only when the effects (whistle etc.) are triggered by pressing function keys the 'fault' occurs. - As I say, these work fine on my Digitrax CS.
If you press F1 (say) for the whistle, you get the whistle effect triggered multiple times.. This does not seem to stop unless you hit the F1 key again. Same for the other effects, so all are doing the same thing, but only with the Massoth CS.

Any ideas?

I only have the 'faulty' loco to play with, and not local access to a Massoth CS. I can supply CV values if asked.

TIA,
PhilP.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not familiar with the Massoth gear, but is it possible to set function keys as momentary or latching on a per-loco basis? Perhaps the functions are set to latching in the command station?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not familiar with the Massoth gear, but is it possible to set function keys as momentary or latching on a per-loco basis? Perhaps the functions are set to latching in the command station?

Well that was my initial thought (or serial pulse string?). But both loco's are set for 14 speed steps, with address '3'..
Decoders were supplied ready programmed.. One in a Massoth 'set' for the loco, the other just bagged-up, with hand-written note of what was in it..

I think, despite it working on my gear, I will have to nuke the chip and then reload then sound-file..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
No need to nuke them. As Nick said - the dud one may be set up for latching (quite common - wait till you play MFX).
Have a look at CVs 151 to 162. You want a value of zero for non latching.

CV151 does sound 1, CV152 does sound 2 etc.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No need to nuke them. As Nick said - the dud one may be set up for latching (quite common - wait till you play MFX).
Have a look at CVs 151 to 162. You want a value of zero for non latching.

CV151 does sound 1, CV152 does sound 2 etc.

I will have a look when home..
Would be great if all manufacturers read the standards, and implemented them in the same way.. :(:(

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible that it's the setup of the throttle, not the decoder? He said it is fine on a Digitrax system but not his Massoth.

My Zimo MX32FU cab has to be told that the function button for the horn is a momentary, not a latched state. (And it is actually told on a loco by loco basis),.

Greg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
If it isn't the CV setting that is pointing at serial/parallel wrongly then maybe......
I believe that the navigator handset can be set up for each loco as either serial or parallel etc (I could be wrong of course). Maybe one of the two XLS equipped locos has been set up as parallel on the handset.
I have the navigators/CS system but am not able to check them as I am in Holland.
I have only come across a similar problem once but I changed the CV and all was well.

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth Navigators can be set up with momentary or permanent function key mode as indicated by Greg.

It requires the Navigator to have software version 1.3 or higher, you can see the version number briefly on the Navigator screen when it is powered on.

You should download the latest manual and read chapter 3.5 Loco configuration, the details about function key settings are in chapter 3.5.2.
http://wiki.massoth.de/images/6/63/991015_BDA_Navigator_v192_2015_07min.pdf

As described in chapter 3.5, you can make a number of changes in the Navigator for a specific locomotive address, it can be speed steps, serial/parallel mode, picture, name and function key settings. You should change the loco address first, and then apply the changes you want.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All,
Thanks for all the pointers..
This 'fault/feature' appears to be the Navigator set to toggle on the F1 key.. - This particular loco is on address '3', so the only one affected.

I have read the section of manual pointed to above.. Says you can do it, but not really how. - Probably clearer if you have a Navigator in front of you!

A helpful person tried to change the volume (CV 200), when there was actually a volume control fitted! :rolleyes:
They have now supposedly set this back to '255', but the volume control is not responding.. - Probably not if the loco is going mad repeating the whistle??

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
0) Fire up the Navigator
1) Select locomotive as per normal
2) Press and hold M2 to go in to the Loco configuration mode
3) First out you may change the speed step setting (14 or 28). Press M3 if you are happy with the current setting, otherwise press M2 to change and then M3 to accept.
4) Next option is to select Parallel or Serial function key mode and the Momentary/Permanent function key mode you want to access. Use M2 to change between parallel and serial. To change F1 only you have to press the F1 key on the Navigator once and the corresponding number below the picture in the Navigator screen should be highlighted. Press M3 to accept both settings.
6) Next is Locomotive picture. Use M1 or M2 to browse pictures, presse M3 when happy.
7) Next is Locomotive name. Experiment using the manual for this setting. Press M3 when happy.
8) Finally store the configuration by pressing M2. If you press M3 the configuration is only stored temporarily and will be lost when the Navigator is powered off.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Loco.
Very much appreciated!
:rock::clap::clap::clap:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yay, another problem solved... when I got my new Zimo system, I was scratching my head until I realized that having the F2 button set to momentary was not standard, in fact having the horn/whistle on F2 was also not standard.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
So simple.. With a large dose of hindsight!

Oh for a source of power-buffers.. Fitted with flux capacitors!
;):D:D