Massoth XLS help, Chuff and Sound function not right.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
So I bought a Massoth XLS decoder with the Uintah sound files loaded.
20220603_151409.jpg

And while testing it out, I noticed that the Chuff sounds are playing without the chuff sensor.
I have one installed and it does work, but the decoder seems to be ignoring it.

I looked at CV 196 and it said value 255, but I can't figure out what other CVs control chuff sounds.

Another thing I noticed is that all the other sounds don't seem to match the function buttons they are listed to be.
1, 6, 7, 8. seem to be correct.
But the Bell is triggered with F2 (instead of F3) and such.
1654232844794.png
I did download the file online, as the store didn't send me a copy.
So I'm not sure if this is correct either....

Is it worth trying a factory reset, or am I looking at the wrong data?

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
XLS.JPG

XLS 088.JPG

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the updated list. :-D
Is there any chance for a more HD version?
My printer made the current one a little blurry to read.

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Conversation thingy sent with a file attachment for the data sheet.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
AusrailQLD - I assume you have the Massoth PC Programming Module since you can't load a sound file into their sound decoders without one, and the latest F Key Listing can also be downloaded with it. Be sure to do the update to the your PC's Massoth Service Tool program to get the latest file updates.

Regarding CV adjustments for the chuff, refer to the XLS Configuration Manual's Table of CVs for their definitions and settings ranges. The factory default setting for CV196 Pulse Generator Control is 255 for electronic chuff simulation; if you have a pulsed generator/hall sensor installed in the motor block, you then set CV196 to 0 (external pulse gen.). LGB steam locomotives with factory sound systems have a pulsed generator installed which you can connect to the XLS; otherwise you must install one yourself. If no pulse generator, then you must use the XLS's electronic chuff.

The quality of the chuff sounds is the same between the two modes except the pulse generator produces the best chuff syn with the wheels revolutions, and with it, you can set CV195 for the number of chuffs/wheel revolution........CV195 has no affect on electronic chuff mode. The CVs 197 and 198 are used to adjust the chuff timing in electronic mode. You should read CV 197 and 198 settings for the current chuff baseline and then your can first adjust CV197 up or down, and then same for CV 198. I usually use CV197 = 20 (deep longer chuff) and CV198 = 40 (about 4 chuffs/wheel revolution), depending upon the specific steam locomotive sound file used.