Massoth Sound Function Trigger

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone else noticed how Massoth sound decoders will play the sound when the function button is turned AND turned off? Of the decoders that I've used (MSD3, ESU 5 XL, Tsunami2, etc) this seems to be the only one that does that. Is there a way to change this behavior? I've played around with all the different types - momentary, duration, etc, but cant seem to find a way to change the behavior so that a sound is only triggered when the function is turned on and not off. This becomes a problem in automated running where the various announcement and station sounds are played by creating momentary functions. You get the sound function playing over top itself and it sounds bad. Its not possible to map for the different behavior with the Massoth sound functions versus all the others, so I'd love to figure out if its possible to change the behavior in the decoder.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Which model of decoder?
What version of software?
What sound-scheme?

Then I can have a look..

PhilP

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Which model of decoder?
What version of software?
What sound-scheme?

Then I can have a look..

PhilP
XLS
firmware 4.20
any sound file. I have several and they all do this:

Alco Diesel
Genesis
Ballenburg
Rhatia
K28
Stainz

Additional data points - Parallel mode and 28/128 speed steps on all

I thought I had posted this last night but apparently not

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Check out CV151 to CV162 in the Massoth documentation for their sound decoders. These CVs will when set to 0 give no sound repetitions, or if set to 16 the sound will be steady on until you repeat pressing the Function key to turn the sound off.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Check out CV151 to CV162 in the Massoth documentation for their sound decoders. These CVs will when set to 0 give no sound repetitions, or if set to 16 the sound will be steady on until you repeat pressing the Function key to turn the sound off.
I think this is it. With CVs151-162 set to 16 the sound will not play again if the function is triggered on and then off. Its still not quite the same behavior as the rest since the sound will repeat as in the case of the announcements if left on, which the other decoders dont do, but in terms of automated triggering this will work for all the decoders I have if the duration is set to 1 second to toggle the function on and off. Thats short enough none of the Massoth announcements will repeat again, so it should solve the issue with the Massoth decoders and produce the same effect as the rest. Thanks!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Let us know if this works for you..

PhilP

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Let us know if this works for you..

PhilP
I confirm that this approach works! Setting the loops CVs to 16 allows the function key to be toggled on/off and the sound to only play once. This works as expected when running with PC control now. Thanks for the help. Case closed.