Any trick to activating A2 output on Massoth XLS?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve just installed a second Massoth Auto Uncoupler, connecting it to the A02 terminal on an XLS decoder. The first one is attached to A01 output and works as expected using key F7 on the Navigator. However, I cannot get the second one to work at all. (I’ve checked the installation to make sure there are no mechanical issues and all seems OK.)

The default XLS settings have A01 activated via F7 - which worked “out of the box” - but the default for A02 appears to be activate via F2. However, F2 also sounds the bell and when pressed on the Navigator that’s all it does; there’s no action with the attached uncoupler. I therefore selected a different F key - F5 - via the Massoth Service Tool having first disassociated the F key from any other action. The MST reported a successful allocation of F5 but when pressing this on the Navigator still no response from the uncoupler.

Whilst I have several years’ experience of using the MST to tune my decoders this is the first time I’ve tried adjusting F keys that activate auxiliary outputs. i couldn’t see anything particularly relevant in the XLS config manual, so I’m thinking either there is some setting I need to adjust, or the uncoupler itself is fault, or maybe the A02 part of the XLS itself is at fault.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
If you connected the second auto coupler to the A01 terminal on the decoder to make sure it electrically works?

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you try swapping the uncoupling connections, and see what works, I.e. A01 to the new coupling, etc, then you will know the uncouples are fine.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Great minds and all that! Funnily enough, that was my next move tomorrow morning when my eyes are fresh!

Good suggestion - thanks both.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you connected the second auto coupler to the A01 terminal on the decoder to make sure it electrically works?
If you try swapping the uncoupling connections, and see what works, I.e. A01 to the new coupling, etc, then you will know the uncouples are fine.
Great minds and all that! Funnily enough, that was my next move tomorrow morning when my eyes are fresh!

Good suggestion - thanks both.
Yep, looks like we both posted together :)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The set of Massoth 8414002 (2017) uncouplers I've got came with an instruction addendum, 991056_BDA_8414002_Entkupper_Ergänzung_2017/03. Does this apply?

8414002(2017) - 1.jpeg
If the second coupler checks out OK when hooked to the A1 output I suggest you verify CV 56, A2 command allocation is 2 (F2). Sound projects sometimes change allocations when loaded without being fully documented. (I ran across this with the XLS sound project for the RhB Ge 4/4 III.) By the way, you may want to change CV 56 to some other F key. Valid keys are F0 through F16.

If CV 56 is OK then check CV 53, the A1 + A2 dimming value. It should be 32, both A1 and A2 outputs 100% of track voltage.

If that is OK too, then check CV 57, the A2 special function. It should be 0, steady on.

If all that is OK, maybe check how your Navigator function keys are set. See 5.2, Operating Instructions on page 11 of the uncoupler manual.

Hope this helps.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. I don’t have this addendum so appreciate you posting it. The point on backing off the screws was news to me - I didn’t do this for the working uncoupler but I’ll give it a go on the dead one just in case. I also have a Massoth power buffer I could fit, but I’m not sure lack of power is the issue as one uncoupler works fine.

Your other points I’d already checked/adjusted (with you on loading sound projects and unexpected outcomes, btw…).

I‘ll keep you posted.

All the best

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
So, I connected the working uncoupler to output A02 and it worked fine with the key I’d allocated (F5). Just to be doubly sure the other uncoupler was faulty, I connected it to output A01 and it remained as dead as a dodo. On removing it, I tried to jiggle the shaft driving the device in case it was stuck and boy did it sound graunchy! So into the bin it goes.

Then things got a little bit complicated as I fitted a new uncoupler (early birthday present). The design has changed and fitting is different, so some more modifications to the front pony truck were needed. It’s also essential to make sure the motor / drive are lined up as shown in the manual. However, I eventually got it mounted and wired up and it works fine on A02, so I’m a happy camper .

Best wishes

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Footnote - after 45 years in the IT industry you’d think I’d have realised that problems are rarely caused by a complex issue such as a decoder failing to do what it’s told with one function when a similar one is working fine! The obvious place to look for this problem was the uncoupler but no, I’m an ex IT whizz so it cant be that simple. Aaaarrrggghhh!

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve just installed a second Massoth Auto Uncoupler, connecting it to the A02 terminal on an XLS decoder. The first one is attached to A01 output and works as expected using key F7 on the Navigator. However, I cannot get the second one to work at all. (I’ve checked the installation to make sure there are no mechanical issues and all seems OK.)

The default XLS settings have A01 activated via F7 - which worked “out of the box” - but the default for A02 appears to be activate via F2. However, F2 also sounds the bell and when pressed on the Navigator that’s all it does; there’s no action with the attached uncoupler. I therefore selected a different F key - F5 - via the Massoth Service Tool having first disassociated the F key from any other action. The MST reported a successful allocation of F5 but when pressing this on the Navigator still no response from the uncoupler.

Whilst I have several years’ experience of using the MST to tune my decoders this is the first time I’ve tried adjusting F keys that activate auxiliary outputs. i couldn’t see anything particularly relevant in the XLS config manual, so I’m thinking either there is some setting I need to adjust, or the uncoupler itself is fault, or maybe the A02 part of the XLS itself is at fault.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, definitely test the second decoder to confirm it's not defective. But you can use the Auto Uncoupler plug in terminal on the XLS for your second uncoupler.......it's next to the POT connection on the decoder shown in the XLS Installation Manual. Then you would activate the uncoupler using your Navigator's Track Switch Function, not the F Keys.