GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
Go for it

[attachment=0][/attachment]

Now that is what I am talking about, super job.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would concur with Ross on the airbrush!

Better to give it 24 hours between each pass, and a sleep before looking and applying that 'extra' coat..

Oh, and a cheap airbrush is for blowing the dust off things NOT applying paint!! :mad:

DanLarn

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
Ok, everybody seems to agree that it needs to be done properly, and I am no different.

I will try and pick up some weathering powders today and have a go at some of my Playmobil stock, see how I feel about those before moving onto the 'proper' models.

Rest easy though folks, I will make sure nothing gets ruined!

One quick question on an unrelated topic, has anyone ever seen any HHA type wagons in G?

Similar to this:
c44a323c8b6229cce3d5e8ca760915a8.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I too agree with Ross,
get some pigments, artist pastels
scape off the dust,
find a soft brush and have at it.

it will show hand prints, etc
but it will give you fun, and a test run, and
is completely reversible with a bit of detergent and warm water

the hard part imho, is to be mindful that less is more....
its so easy to get into it, and then have an item that is overly weathered...fact is most railroads did not allow equipment to become too dilapidated , rusted , etc.
that is the real plus of using pigments/chalks

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
"Beavercreek" Mike on here has done some really lovely weathering jobs on some of his stuff - I'm sure he may pop in here to give you a few hints and tips.....?

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
DO IT !

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
DanLarn said:
One quick question on an unrelated topic, has anyone ever seen any HHA type wagons in G?
The only UK wagons made for the 66 'Shed' were the skeletal container flats. I don't think these are still available now except second hand?

One forumite here, Welsh Dave, did some really neat conversions of 2 axle Playmobil wagons for Engineering stock, but I haven't seen him post here lately....

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thought I would chuck my 2 cents in the pot,,,,,should you weather or not?most of my buildings and stock are,me I like dust muck and grime simply because what I model,US narrow gauge in the twilight years,railroads with no money and falling revenues so for me weathering is the way to go ;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• Alcos 007.JPG
    Alcos 007.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 34
  • loco 006.JPG
    loco 006.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 31
  • loco 004.JPG
    loco 004.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 38
  • loco 021.JPG
    loco 021.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 34
  • gondolas 007.JPG
    gondolas 007.JPG
    479.3 KB · Views: 35
  • mainst 010.JPG
    mainst 010.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 29

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Keep the noise down!

[attachment=0][/attachment]

Oh, my apologies for waking you.............. :-[...........You have my permission to resume your slumber

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Riograndad said:
Thought I would chuck my 2 cents in the pot,,,,,should you weather or not?most of my buildings and stock are,me I like dust muck and grime simply because what I model,US narrow gauge in the twilight years,railroads with no money and falling revenues so for me weathering is the way to go ;) ;) ;)
There is no doubt that weathering done well is a way to make a Toy look like a Train. Your mastery of the subject shows what can be done. Superb.
JonD

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep a good bit of weathering really brings a piece of rolling stock to life, gives it a bit of soul.

BUT... If you do not intend to detail a layout to any great extent or it does not tell its own story in the garden....then maybe weathering is not really needed, in fact it may seem out of place.
Having said that, just having a really well weathered loco on show as a shelf queen, visiting other lines, has its definite merits.

Although I like to do a bit of weathering, there are some of my locos that I would need to feel very brave to even attempt to 'customise' (Accucraft K27, Kiss K36 and Aster K28 being a few).

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Slightly off topic but here goes. Weathering the rolling stock and not the backdrop tells half the story, to put Beavercreek's words in another form.

Tinplate layouts where everything on the table is as it came from the factory tell their own story. Highrail layouts are a transition between Tinplate and pure scale. Pure scale is where the rivet counters come in. But in the end, Rule 8 outweighs them all.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I guess that it is what you want from your Railway/Train Set. I like to run a TT as is probably known if you read my drivel. Much of that means trying to replicate East Germany before the Wall Came Down circa 1981 ish in my case. East German Locomotives were looked after but dirty, the paint appeared to be Tar Based. Rolling stock was dirty, wagons certainly unkempt. That is whay I do Weathering. However of you want your line to be current Harz or ever FR or WHR ETC, well clean with modest weathering to the lower end should perhaps be your thing.

But if you lIke your trains Shiny Clean, well that is your choice. MY view is enoy whatever you like.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Was it in this thread that the question of suitable freight wagons was mentioned?

Their are two pairs on Aristo intermodals on evilbay at the moment O0 O0 O0 O0 O0