First Time "Kitbash" on Bachmann's Big Hauler 4-6-0 Locomotive

TheWheats

Registered
3 Apr 2021
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, hopefully this is the right section to post this project in. I wanted to try my hand at kitbashing, so I took my Bachmann Big Hauler from the Fast Mail box and tried to tweak it here and there in minor ways. I'm just starting understanding more complex modeling techniques and my budget was limited, so lots of this was done spur of the moment decision making. Gave it a repaint to a dark grey, with weathering and re-lettering to get it in the ballpark of a Colorado and Southern steamer. After that some minor additions such as a tank on top of the main body (a travel medicine bottle tube cut with the top off), and then one at the back of the tender (an M&M's tube also cut and glued back together and painted), along with new whistle additions (bunched up blue tape colored with a gold marker), moving the bell to the top of the tank, and string to connect both to the cab. I ordered a plow for the front but it turned out to be a bit small for my liking, so I added onto it with some additional materials to enlarge the front (cardboard painted and weathered). I crushed coal and glued in into the tender for a more realistic effect. All the lettering and numbers are hand painting over the originals. In the end it turned out to look like some hybrid of a C&S/D&RGW mining train of sorts, a blend of the K-27 class and maybe some other locos of that area and era. Topped off with minor additions like the spark collector that was weathered (and a few parts here and there to come, I haven't found a good hose yet to fit off it), it came together decently for a first try. Just starting to learn so I'll probably do some reweathering on my rolling stock.

Attachments

• 34850148_1.jpg
    34850148_1.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 0
  • File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 0
  • File_007.jpeg
    File_007.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    334 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed4.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 0

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Wheats welcomed to the forum, and a nice start :) :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Certainly looks the business, from here!
Welcome!

Enjoy the journey.

PhilP

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. Not seen that BH boxed set before with that livery! Nice conversion - like the hand painted name on the tender as well.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, nice mod with interesting additions and superbly subtle weathering.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. You're obviously well versed in the arts of weathering. Do we call you Wheat, or do you have another name