El Correo - a multiple Bachmann bash

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Modelling a Spanish railway in G Scale does require a bit of imagination and resourcefulness, as just about everything has to be customised or made from scratch. As far as I know, the only Spanish models ever produced commercially were wooden kits of coaches similar to the ones I've just bashed.

Over the winter season, I've been busy with updating some locos and stock.

The matchboard-sided bogie coach with end balconies is characteristic of almost all Spanish railways in the mid 20th century, both Iberian gauge national, and secondary lines, and so the 'via metrica' Ferrocarril Val de Martyn simply had to have some. This is yours truly posing daftly with a full sized example during a visit to the 'secret' workshops of the Carrilet heritage project at Deltebre in 2014:

knees.jpg

I don't/can't model exact prototypes, so I just like to make things look vaguely plausible based on studying countless old photos on the internet and from my travels. Over a decade ago, I had decided to use brand new three Bachmann Jackson-Sharp carriages as the basis for my 'Correo', the traditional daily all-stations mixed service, which transported the mail as well as people and goods. Good job I bought them a long while back when I was still working and had some cash, though they were to linger in their boxes a very long time before I could muster the courage to butcher them!

Having disassembled my pristine victims, I stripped the nice neat paint with alcohol, hacked off and discarded the clerestories, and made foamboard and ABS frames to bridge the resulting gaps down the centre of each roof.

bashing.jpg

The new roofs were skinned with thin plasticard with a touch of Milliput to smooth the fiddly ends, before aerosol painting and installing resin ventilators (eBay) and gutter strips. Each coach has its own 9V battery. Warm white lighting is LED strips, plus single LEDs for the balconies and baggage car, self-contained in the roof with the necessary boards and resistors, and with the passenger coaches, I utilised the original brass strip connections down the internal sides to the existing battery boxes and switches beneath the frames. For the baggage/mail car, the 9V battery and iffy wiring is tucked inside through one of the doors under a pile of crates and I made my own LED side and tail lamps from odd bits and pieces - an old felt pen and washers and the like. A DPDT switch below allows the rear lamp configuration to be changed, depending in what type of train the van is running: pure goods or passenger/mixed. External steps were added beneath the side doors and I hope they survive some of the tight clearances on my line.

full_brake.jpg

For the interiors, the original seats were covered with homemade transfers to represent the characteristic hard wooden slats, and one coach has had inserted a couple of first-class compartments made from scratch, with GRS seat profiles upholstered with more transfers. The pictures are period correct shots of famous sights around Catalunya. Various repainted cheapo figures from Hong Kong via eBay fill some of the seats.

insides.jpg

For the exterior, I faced an awkward choice: whether to go for the museum look - varnished hardwood, or instead to spray the bodies a low sheen brown, to represent faded stock that has served a couple of decades under the Spanish sun. I chose the latter, which is more in keeping with my railway, for it is supposed to be late 1960s and the independent line is on its last legs before being taken over by the State and closed.

first_class.jpg

Lettering ought to be individual brass letters but that's beyond me, so I've used 'shaded' decals. Various other details were added to the balconies, metal wheels fitted, and then the lot was given a gentle weathering. Lesson learnt there is that what looks acceptable on the bench and even in winter daylight can become quite garish in full sun. I'm going to have to revisit some of this and tone it down a bit.

balconies.jpg

And to complete the train, a BMS 16mm van has been tweaked a bit to provide the customary goods wagon within the consist. It's not fitted with continuous brakes but 'regla ocho' (Rule 8) is the most important regulation on the FVM, so don't look too closely!

coach+van.jpg

My railway is not yet up and running for the coming season, but I cleaned some track and took the train outside for a few piccies of its first run, headed by my recently re-bashed Big Hauler 4-6-0. In the fictional history of my fictional line, it is about 1967 and the FVM has just acquired a nearly new fancy German diesel to handle the coal trains, re-liveried and fresh out of the loco works at Morella. Faithful old Baldwin old No.3 'Santa Angela' is therefore enjoying an easier life now in its new role on the 'Correo' Service.

old+new.jpg

Although far from perfect, I'm rather pleased with the overall result, which I think is recognisably Spanish in flavour.

train.jpg

Optional extra half-minute shaky phone video to prove it does all actually move!

Attachments

• balconies.jpg
    balconies.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Highly plausible..
I keep forget your Spanish railway, is on the rainy-plains of Bedfordshire! ;)
:D

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are a few LGB items that can be plausibly Spanish. Not metre gauge but the Austrian U2 had some counterparts built by Kraus on the San Feliu Gerona (SFG) 75cm line.

Castelon Secondary Railways had some rather nice looking Metre Gauge 2-6-0’s. With a little bit of work the LGb Spreewald (cat 2074, 22741,2174,21741 and 23741) would be a great starting point.

As you can see both these are quite long running in the LgB range so suitable candidates may be obtainable at a reasonable price.

I think most of us like the LGB pig nosed railcars (ref 2066, 20660, 22660, 23660, 21660) 5 were built for Norte Metre Gauge lines.

The Metre Gauge La Robla had a batch of Baldwin 2-8-0’s so your Bachman conversion is pretty well ‘on the money’. But they also had some Swiss 2-8-0’s of which Kiss and LGB have made model examples, though quite expensive in either guise.

The metre gauge PV had a series of 2-6-2’s by baldwin, a possible LGB / Bachman bash would suit.

Sorry if I have told you things you already knew, Spanish NG was a big thing of mine in the past and I have a few of the classic books if you need any info I can send some pics via PM.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive.
i think you should do one varnish version.
love your detailing.

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
There are a few LGB items that can be plausibly Spanish. Not metre gauge but the Austrian U2 had some counterparts built by Kraus on the San Feliu Gerona (SFG) 75cm line.

Castelon Secondary Railways had some rather nice looking Metre Gauge 2-6-0’s. With a little bit of work the LGb Spreewald (cat 2074, 22741,2174,21741 and 23741) would be a great starting point.

As you can see both these are quite long running in the LgB range so suitable candidates may be obtainable at a reasonable price.

I think most of us like the LGB pig nosed railcars (ref 2066, 20660, 22660, 23660, 21660) 5 were built for Norte Metre Gauge lines.

The Metre Gauge La Robla had a batch of Baldwin 2-8-0’s so your Bachman conversion is pretty well ‘on the money’. But they also had some Swiss 2-8-0’s of which Kiss and LGB have made model examples, though quite expensive in either guise.

The metre gauge PV had a series of 2-6-2’s by baldwin, a possible LGB / Bachman bash would suit.

Sorry if I have told you things you already knew, Spanish NG was a big thing of mine in the past and I have a few of the classic books if you need any info I can send some pics via PM.
Good food for thought there, Jon, for next winter's project!

I always keep an eye out for various potential models to customise, though they have to be very cheap basket cases, but I'll widen my search a bit now, especially the 0-6-0 candidates - I hadn't really considered those but they would work well on my tight little railway. I have recently obtained a Corpet-Louvet from France, which looks about right for my branch line and I do have a Piko VT-98 railbus pair which is waiting in the wings for a makeover, albeit that the Spanish 'Ferrobus' version was Iberian gauge - I've seen such a model repainted in RENFE colours on display at Balaguer station and it looked the part. One of the few chaps who (publicly) models G Scale in Spain has made a smashing Krauss 2-6-0+4 from the PV, with a matching passenger train, but his skill and patience outshine mine, as do the clever chaps on the Catalan forum I try to follow - they scratchbuild local prototypes and so are out of my league, though they indulge my efforts!

I've a good little library too, and use it to justify my lookalikes - thank goodness we had some intrepid Brit photographers who went out and took loads of photos half a century ago, as apart from Carlos Salmeron Bosch, the Spanish have generally speaking not been all that prolific or at least systematic in recording their railway heritage. Good that they have a healthy HO scene though, which also provides inspiration.

For now, it's the start of the structures and buildings season, in which I'm a bit more comfortable, though I'd also quite like another double-motored diesel next or a quirky railcar, I think, to balance the dirty black smokey models. Always so much on the list...:nerd:

I hope we will indeed be able to meet up later in the year and have a proper natter.

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive.
i think you should do one varnish version.
love your detailing.
That's a good idea - I'll have to keep an eye out for another bargain-basement coach and do just that so that I can mix and match. I still have some nice teak paint left over from modelling the LNER in OO as a youngster!

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Nice looking coaches and the Bachmann 4-6-0 conversion. I'm another vote for a coach in the museum look - varnished hardwood. (Easy for me to say.) Is there a picture of the Krauss 2-6-0+4 from the PV available? I've tried a web search and am not finding much. Is that like a 2-6-0 with another four drivers under the tender? Sounds like an interesting locomotive.

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Nice looking coaches and the Bachmann 4-6-0 conversion. I'm another vote for a coach in the museum look - varnished hardwood. (Easy for me to say.) Is there a picture of the Krauss 2-6-0+4 from the PV available? I've tried a web search and am not finding much. Is that like a 2-6-0 with another four drivers under the tender? Sounds like an interesting locomotive.
The talented modeller is José Ramón Lechuga Corbacho. He says this loco took over a thousand hours of work. His model is of an Engerth articulated loco (see Engerth on Wikipedia), two or three of which still exist in Spain, including one in full running order at the Ponferrada museum (which sadly boasts only about 100m of track!) I've taken the liberty of reproducing one of his photos. My memory fails me at the moment, but I think it has an LGB chassis and he posted an account of his build (in Spanish), somewhere on Facebook. This link might work! Engerth construction
Engerth_PV31.jpg

Attachments

• Engerth_PV31.jpg
    Engerth_PV31.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Modelling a Spanish railway in G Scale does require a bit of imagination and resourcefulness, as just about everything has to be customised or made from scratch. As far as I know, the only Spanish models ever produced commercially were wooden kits of coaches similar to the ones I've just bashed.

Over the winter season, I've been busy with updating some locos and stock.

The matchboard-sided bogie coach with end balconies is characteristic of almost all Spanish railways in the mid 20th century, both Iberian gauge national, and secondary lines, and so the 'via metrica' Ferrocarril Val de Martyn simply had to have some. This is yours truly posing daftly with a full sized example during a visit to the 'secret' workshops of the Carrilet heritage project at Deltebre in 2014:

View attachment 296328

I don't/can't model exact prototypes, so I just like to make things look vaguely plausible based on studying countless old photos on the internet and from my travels. Over a decade ago, I had decided to use brand new three Bachmann Jackson-Sharp carriages as the basis for my 'Correo', the traditional daily all-stations mixed service, which transported the mail as well as people and goods. Good job I bought them a long while back when I was still working and had some cash, though they were to linger in their boxes a very long time before I could muster the courage to butcher them!

Having disassembled my pristine victims, I stripped the nice neat paint with alcohol, hacked off and discarded the clerestories, and made foamboard and ABS frames to bridge the resulting gaps down the centre of each roof.

View attachment 296329

The new roofs were skinned with thin plasticard with a touch of Milliput to smooth the fiddly ends, before aerosol painting and installing resin ventilators (eBay) and gutter strips. Each coach has its own 9V battery. Warm white lighting is LED strips, plus single LEDs for the balconies and baggage car, self-contained in the roof with the necessary boards and resistors, and with the passenger coaches, I utilised the original brass strip connections down the internal sides to the existing battery boxes and switches beneath the frames. For the baggage/mail car, the 9V battery and iffy wiring is tucked inside through one of the doors under a pile of crates and I made my own LED side and tail lamps from odd bits and pieces - an old felt pen and washers and the like. A DPDT switch below allows the rear lamp configuration to be changed, depending in what type of train the van is running: pure goods or passenger/mixed. External steps were added beneath the side doors and I hope they survive some of the tight clearances on my line.

View attachment 296330

For the interiors, the original seats were covered with homemade transfers to represent the characteristic hard wooden slats, and one coach has had inserted a couple of first-class compartments made from scratch, with GRS seat profiles upholstered with more transfers. The pictures are period correct shots of famous sights around Catalunya. Various repainted cheapo figures from Hong Kong via eBay fill some of the seats.

View attachment 296331

For the exterior, I faced an awkward choice: whether to go for the museum look - varnished hardwood, or instead to spray the bodies a low sheen brown, to represent faded stock that has served a couple of decades under the Spanish sun. I chose the latter, which is more in keeping with my railway, for it is supposed to be late 1960s and the independent line is on its last legs before being taken over by the State and closed.

View attachment 296332

Lettering ought to be individual brass letters but that's beyond me, so I've used 'shaded' decals. Various other details were added to the balconies, metal wheels fitted, and then the lot was given a gentle weathering. Lesson learnt there is that what looks acceptable on the bench and even in winter daylight can become quite garish in full sun. I'm going to have to revisit some of this and tone it down a bit.

View attachment 296334

And to complete the train, a BMS 16mm van has been tweaked a bit to provide the customary goods wagon within the consist. It's not fitted with continuous brakes but 'regla ocho' (Rule 8) is the most important regulation on the FVM, so don't look too closely!

View attachment 296335

My railway is not yet up and running for the coming season, but I cleaned some track and took the train outside for a few piccies of its first run, headed by my recently re-bashed Big Hauler 4-6-0. In the fictional history of my fictional line, it is about 1967 and the FVM has just acquired a nearly new fancy German diesel to handle the coal trains, re-liveried and fresh out of the loco works at Morella. Faithful old Baldwin old No.3 'Santa Angela' is therefore enjoying an easier life now in its new role on the 'Correo' Service.

View attachment 296336

Although far from perfect, I'm rather pleased with the overall result, which I think is recognisably Spanish in flavour.

View attachment 296337

Optional extra half-minute shaky phone video to prove it does all actually move!

Nice coaches; not so sure about the shorts :cool:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This search will show you a lot of pictures, with many of these searches it helps to know the railway these beasts ran on. They were most know by UK enthusiasts for their use on the Villablino Coal Railway to Ponferada (PV).

pictures of villablino steam

Some of the views in the above search are not to be believed with a French 141R appearing!

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This search will show you a lot of pictures, with many of these searches it helps to know the railway these beasts ran on. They were most know by UK enthusiasts for their use on the Villablino Coal Railway to Ponferada (PV).

pictures of villablino steam

Some of the views in the above search are not to be believed with a French 141R appearing!

Here you are !
S03632.jpg

This is No. 31 which was Maffei 3350/13 and had come to the PV second-hand from the Pamplona a San Sebastian railway many years earlier. In the appalling weather which met me on two of my three visits to this line, she is being prepared for the daily "Correo" which was her regular duty. This was January 1977.
S09190.jpg

Five years later the sun was shining but the main line was diesel. This is No. 14 on one of the branches above Villablino. This loco was Macosa 102/50 supplied new to the PV.
The Engerth system was a way of increasing adhesion by transferring some of the tender weight to the locomotive. Aside from the Spanish engines, the best known are probably the Austrian 399 class 0-8+4 locos, all of which survive.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Seeing the pictures makes it more understandable. I had envisioned a powered truck under the tender, but it is clear from the Wikipedia article and the pictures that the tender is actually articulated to the engine frame transferring some tender weight to the frame, as you noted, but also that early versions did indeed power the tender wheels. The model that you reference in post #9 has some amazing details including the drive to the tender wheels! The Spanish lines certainly provide inspiration for some fascinating models. Be sure to post pictures of the coach in varnish when completed!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I like those coaches, really like the interiors and the "faded" finish, not forgetting the smart job done on the roof sections. :clap::clap::clap::clap:.