Whether to weather or not?

DanLarn

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
Right, after my Aristocraft class 66 arrived I've been very busy so I haven't managed to get any further with my arduino controller yet.

Looking at the engine sitting there on the track, I can't help but think it would look better with some weathering.

What's the opinion of the masses, and does anyone have any examples of well weathered 66's?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
There is little doubt that a well weathered train looks great, but, also, its retail value will be significantly reduced.
So the answer is up to you. do what you want or maintain residual value. - its a difficult call.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry I do not have a shot of the `dirtied` EWS liveried one on its` own..

DSC00046-1.jpg

DanLarn

1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
stockers said:
There is little doubt that a well weathered train looks great, but, also, its retail value will be significantly reduced.
So the answer is up to you. do what you want or maintain residual value. - its a difficult call.
Yeah Stockers, I had considered that, that's partly the reason for asking.
PhilP said:
Sorry I do not have a shot of the 'dirtied' EWS liveried one on its' own..

[attachment=0][/attachment]
I saw this photo in one of my other threads, I've been back and looked at it quite a few times trying to decide, I just can't get a clear enough picture.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
And I have just come down past the engineers' sidings on the approaches to Kings X, where there is was GBRf Class 66 in absolute pristine condition - straight out of the box :D :D :D :D

That said, if you're going to weather, you've got to do it well, and that takes a bit of observation of the real thing.

I saw a 4mm layout at a recent exhibition where the stock was beautifully weathered - particularly the underframes and running gear. The superstructures were only lightly touched.

DanLarn

1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
And I have just come down past the engineers' sidings on the approaches to Kings X, where there is was GBRf Class 66 in absolute pristine condition - straight out of the box :D :D :D :D

That said, if you're going to weather, you've got to do it well, and that takes a bit of observation of the real thing.

I saw a 4mm layout at a recent exhibition where the stock was beautifully weathered - particularly the underframes and running gear. The superstructures were only lightly touched.
I know that they exist, I've seen one or two on my travels, I can't help but think they look a little better dirty though! ;)

Does anyone know of anyone/ anywhere that does a good weathering service? I'd be tempted to do it myself but I really wouldn't want to muck it up!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There's an outfit that advertises in RM, they do 4mm and possibly 7mm - don't know if they've done large scale.

TMC ?? rings a bell

DanLarn

1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
There's an outfit that advertises in RM, they do 4mm and possibly 7mm - don't know if they've done large scale.

TMC ?? rings a bell
I'll have a look, the father in law is a keen modeller in 00 so he may have some ideas, but I don't think he's weathered any of his.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Last year I saw a couple of 66's at Peterborough Shed that had been on Water Cannon Duty. They were about tge filthiest things on Rails that I have ever seen. But they do nit stay that cruddy for long.

Thinks best thing is some Brake Dust colour round the Bogies will just about do the trick. You could use Weathering Pwders for a removable finish if you are worried about reapsale value. Personally I think people get too het up about resale value, you are going to loose something like 50% the minute you take it out of the box anyway.
JonD

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I am very much of the opposite view. I very much try to keep in mind the resale value, one day, when making most purchaces for my line. The only reason things halve in value, in my experience, is if you paid over the odds for it in the first place, some Bachmann products come to mind, if you are selling to a dealer, they've got to make a profit or you did not look after it and its packaging. If you really want to degrade an item's market value and then make it hard to shift too then weather it or externaly modify it in some way. I see so many items, weathered/modified, on dealers "used" listings stuck there or being heavily discounted over a period of time.

Ok, there are some stunning examples of model's of prototypes that we have seen on here, some industrial locos and wagons for example, that can only have their values enhanced by the builder's expertise in this area. But then these tend to be "artisan" models of rarely modeled prototypes or the whole railway and its stock has been done to a uniform high standard and could be sold as a whole at a later date. Otherwise don't do it, especially if it is a mainstream product, or make sure you can put it back to "out of the box condition" when you are done with it.

As a one off you might not notice the drop in value too much. But if you did it to a whole glut of your fleet........well. Max.

DanLarn

1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
I have no intention of selling up, and if I did then I would never expect a profit. So I guess my concern over value is irrelevant really.

My main worry is whether or not people think it's worth doing, and if so, to what extent and how?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is very much 'each to their own'..
You pays your money..

If you were *really* worried about the resale value, you would NEVER run it, especially outside.. probably keep it in the dark so the box doesn't fade as well!! ??? ::) ;) ;)

I feel any 'loss' is made up with the 'smile' of just playing trains!!!
;) ;) :D :happy: :happy: :happy:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I think some may be taking my comments a touch literally. "Each to their own", quite right, just pointing out the risks.

Of course I run my stuff out in the garden, and in most weathers. And I fully accept that these things will depreciate in time, at varying rates. If I wanted to make a profit I'd go into "buy to let" or stocks and shares. but they are not my idea of fun. Just like to keep a weather eye on these things ;) Max

DanLarn

1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
PhilP said:
It is very much 'each to their own'..
You pays your money..

If you were *really* worried about the resale value, you would NEVER run it, especially outside.. probably keep it in the dark so the box doesn't fade as well!! ??? ::) ;) ;)

I feel any 'loss' is made up with the 'smile' of just playing trains!!!
;) ;) :D :happy: :happy: :happy:
Oh yeah, I'm not that worried, as soon as it arrived I had it running! Even with my dodgy transformer that can barely make it move and the lights come on!

I am thinking that I probably will do it, but I may see if I can find someone willing to do it for me, as I'd hate to be responsible for messing it up.

My father in law says that the model shop in town does weathering, although he is not sure about doing it on a large scale.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about resale value - it's about enjoying using what you have.

To weather or not comes down to personal preference. For some strange reason I never felt the need to weather my stock when running in the garden. When I then had an indoor layout (now gone) the stock just looked so wrong until it was weathered. So all of the stock used on the indoor layout was weathered but stock that was never used indoors remained as it came. Now part of my stock is weathered and part not, but out in the garden I don't really notice the difference. I would see what you think when it is running round outside before doing anything.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
These shots highlight one of the other questions associated with weathering.

What do you want to achieve?

There are two main considerations, then just degrees.

Firstly, there is the simple accumulation of dirt and dust that occurs through daily use.

That can vary by degrees from fairly new, to ready to visit the train wash.

The other is a piece of rolling stock or loco that has showing signs of deterioration and neglect - used and abused.

That can vary from grime and dirt, to flaking paint, missing bits of wood and metl work, and so on.

It's usually better to have a plan before pressing the spray gun ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I've done a couple of locos and a couple of wagons, but generally in the latter style.

DanLarn

1 Apr 2015
Plymouth
Best answers
ROSS said:
I have shown this before. It is not my work (!) It's On30 and indoor BUT..............

[attachment=0][/attachment]
That looks fantastic, I may well have a go at conditioning my rolling stock myself and seeing how it turns out, hopefully I could achieve something like that.
Rhinochugger said:
These shots highlight one of the other questions associated with weathering.

What do you want to achieve?

There are two main considerations, then just degrees.

Firstly, there is the simple accumulation of dirt and dust that occurs through daily use.

That can vary by degrees from fairly new, to ready to visit the train wash.

The other is a piece of rolling stock or loco that has showing signs of deterioration and neglect - used and abused.

That can vary from grime and dirt, to flaking paint, missing bits of wood and metl work, and so on.

It's usually better to have a plan before pressing the spray gun ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I've done a couple of locos and a couple of wagons, but generally in the latter style.
I think I am settling more on the side of being pro weathering, the more examples I see the more I am convinced by it.

I think the rolling stock should look well used but the engines should be better looked after, a slightly grubby look is best.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I would definitely start by trying your hand on rolling stock, maybe even the cheaper "Toy Train" stock, before attacking your 66, but even then and even using the various methods available and mentioned it could take time to get the 'just right' look that suits you.
Here are some of mine:
https://www.gscalecentral.net/index.php?topic=300905.0
and I strongly recommend that you have a look for some of the weathering done by Mel (YB281) on this site.
One thing I would say, and I think has already been mentioned, is not to skimp on the materials: 'you won't get owt for nowt'
Have fun :D