What makes a good steam-up area?

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Something else to add is a good distance between and steam up roads, it makes it easy to get your hands in and around hot engines.
Noted. Thanks!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Something else to add is a good distance between and steam up roads, it makes it easy to get your hands in and around hot engines.

Dan
Good thinking. Also if you're likely to have more than 1 loco on the move it has a safety aspect, too. Doing a gas refill whilst being passed by another live steamer can lead to spectacular effects. Not recommended!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I strongly recommend that you make contact with Remco Vegting - exclusivemodels.nl - he has a lot of experience with live steam, and is the owner of the definitive love-steam store in the Netherlands. There are a few groups of live-steamers in The Netherlands, at least one of which has a large portable track. There is also a very comprehensive live-steam group in the family park in Appeldorn - Remco is a member there.

Believe it or not, running a live steamer is not as much fun doing it as a one-man band as you might think - much of the enjoyment comes from the interaction with other like-minded people, most of whom, happily, are very friendly. Also, I strongly recommend that you join the Association of 16mm Modellers - they are THE main international contact group. We have a FB page, as well as the very best 1/4-ly magazine you'll ever find - and the joining pack includes the intro book to 16mm live steaming that costs £15 if you buy it separately.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, your points are well taken.