Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I love these:
View attachment 264958
dirt cheap, pretty reliable and easy to fit.
Thanks Phil - i've seen them. The ones I have seen are in a small clear plastic housing and I think the axle passed through it. I bought a couple of blue rectangular gear boxes with motor inside with an axle incorporated with 3mm shaft but they were not good (cost about £3). Slow speed was non existent, they just started after about 2.5v and abruptly and didn't seem as if they would last, lot of noise and vibration. I took them to bits and there were no bearings just moulded plastic. Fun this isn't it!
I love these:
1587570027170.png
dirt cheap, pretty reliable and easy to fit. Would one of those do?

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I love these:
View attachment 264958
dirt cheap, pretty reliable and easy to fit.

I love these:
View attachment 264963
I get an error message when trying to view the attachment. Could you check it or provide a URL? I just bought a Bachmann open trolley with a very noisy
drive. I'm looking for an alternative rather than simply buying another Bachmann drive that may soon have the same problem. Thanks, Ken

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
IMAG3018.jpg
As yesterday was a small significant day for me, I received one of these. Now at least the wrong sized holes in the wrong place will be almost vertical

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But it's worth it! :):nod::nod:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
View attachment 264963

I've used a few in none railway items and one in a small loco where it will trundle round all day quite happily on one AA cell as long as it isn't loaded too heavily. The axle pushes straight into a pair of LGB wheels too.

If you do go down that route it's worth strapping the motor down to the base with a cable tie. I've found it can jump out when put under load. If it jumps all the ways it's just a bit annoying to push it in again, if it hops out slightly it strips the gear wheel.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I get an error message when trying to view the attachment. Could you check it or provide a URL? I just bought a Bachmann open trolley with a very noisy
drive. I'm looking for an alternative rather than simply buying another Bachmann drive that may soon have the same problem. Thanks, Ken
I just pasted a photo in, so am not sure why it's not showing. Try this link: RVFM Worm Drive Gearbox with Motor There are plenty of other suppliers, I'm sure.

The hack mentioned by Musket the Dog (#148) is worth doing. I'd forgotten it, but I've done just as he suggests, for exactly the same reason!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I used one (in my Railbus build) to create a small power bogie.

Reo Bash _1_.JPG
Reo Bash _11_.JPG

Reo Bash _79_.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A small tip Henri, the DIY stuff is not really up to it for our purposes. When you can get some Tamiya Lining Tape it really does keep the lines more precise. The other thing is once lining tape is in place another coat of the base over evrything will seal the gaps thus when you do the blue it should not bleed through the tape. A tip that I think I got from Phil on here?

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
This arrived and is destined to convert a pair of LGB Amtrak LCE power cars to diesel. Not sure if the price ticket on the reverse was genuine as Prehm no longer list this in their products. Anyway it only cost me a tenner.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_124102.jpg
    IMG_20200424_124102.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200424_124120.jpg
    IMG_20200424_124120.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200424_124325.jpg
    IMG_20200424_124325.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
We appear to be having mini competitions of ‘what is this then’. So my little add in is having been up in the loft today making a start at getting it ready for a possible layout. Undecided whether it would be my 0 gauge Light Railway that will be a lot of work as all the Locomotives MUST be fitted with chips and digital sound in this day and age. Or a G scale Tramway. Anyhow as part of the sort out this little lot ended up on the workbench just now for filing in sundry components boxes or perhaps some components robbing and binning for some of the circuit boards. Some of it I know what it is, other bits hm well your guess is as good as mine! Note my scratch built Rail Bender, I have been searching for this for a couple of years to give to my mate is Watchet as it works perfectly on smaller Gauge 1 coded rail.

There are a few more pics taken in the loft to delight or enrage you in the days to come. Probably to be posted elsewhere.
D16734D9-4A20-4FAC-91AD-0670D86CAFD3.jpeg

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 264982
As yesterday was a small significant day for me, I received one of these. Now at least the wrong sized holes in the wrong place will be almost vertical
The Dremel work station is a great tool. It is so good that I purchased two and gave one of them to a young chap at the CFR when he started getting into kit and scratch building. I’m pleased to say that six years later he still makes regular use of his.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
My temporary workbench is totally cleared at the moment. It will remain so until the arrival of the next couple of buildings.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Go on smile.... and it runs on the rails :)

Started work on the body, mouldings from the existing doorway removed, drivers seat removed, pondering the next stage.

Bus on rails.png

Running motor and gearbox in on a set of home made rollers.

Bus on rollers.png

Chassis constructed from Plasticard, Tamiya Gearbox, testing with a speed controller, powered by a Li-Po 2s battery pack.
Chassis.png

Last edited:

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Have been working on another recycling job involving a Bachmann Annie chassis that is now of 2-6-2 configuration and will provide the traction for a part complete GW prairie.
The body was acquired in a partially complete state at the Gauge3 event a month and a bit back
I’ve not yet finished the model but it is now at about 90% there
Yes I know this is sacrilege to take something once destined for a proper(scale) gauge and to produce effectively something akin to Triang TT of the 1950s in large scaleimage.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Go on smile.... and it runs on the rails :)

Started work on the body, mouldings from the existing doorway removed, drivers seat removed, pondering the next stage.

View attachment 265099

Running motor and gearbox in on a set of home made rollers.

View attachment 265100

Chassis constructed from Plasticard, Tamiya Gearbox, testing with a speed controller, powered by a Li-Po 2s battery pack.
View attachment 265101
No smiling required, I have one to do something with.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have been working on another recycling job involving a Bachmann Annie chassis that is now of 2-6-2 configuration and will provide the traction for a part complete GW prairie.
The body was acquired in a partially complete state at the Gauge3 event a month and a bit back
I’ve not yet finished the model but it is now at about 90% there
Yes I know this is sacrilege to take something once destined for a proper(scale) gauge and to produce effectively something akin to Triang TT of the 1950s in large scaleView attachment 265104
I remember seeing that on the day, I would never have thought that such a good job would have resulted from the use of an Annie chassis. Not sacraledge at all, model making skill par excelent.