What happened at your workbench today?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can you get another canopy?
Perhaps move the ticket office from the Station Master's house?

Make a substantial station building complex. :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Something that will make you all laugh.... it made me cry... I have made my first scratch built truck - well it's a people work van - built on the chassis of a Nequida oil tanker. Painstakingly made all the parts on my CNC router, glued and painted it. It has 2 Moving buggies each with 1 axle. So I added a centre set of wheels intending to drive these with motor and gearbox. Took it out to the track for a test push... First time that have the concept of wheels going round R1 curves! It jammed at first curve and I discovered that the centre wheels had to move side to side 15mm! Not possible with the motor fixed inside the carriage... Back to the drawing board...

:(:banghead:

Ah! The curse of the R1 curve!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Something that will make you all laugh.... it made me cry... I have made my first scratch built truck - well it's a people work van - built on the chassis of a Nequida oil tanker. Painstakingly made all the parts on my CNC router, glued and painted it. It has 2 Moving buggies each with 1 axle. So I added a centre set of wheels intending to drive these with motor and gearbox. Took it out to the track for a test push... First time that have the concept of wheels going round R1 curves! It jammed at first curve and I discovered that the centre wheels had to move side to side 15mm! Not possible with the motor fixed inside the carriage... Back to the drawing board...
How about fixing the motor to a sliding plate within the car which is attached to the centre wheels and moves acrossie with them?

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
Pictures!! :)
Pictures!! :)
Got phone back so here's some pics. Now removed centre wheels as you can see! And cut chassis and moved wheels much closer together... I now have a plan! Somebody on here posted some pics of really small cheap gearboxes that went on the wheel axle? I lost the thread and can't find them on ebay or amazon...

Attachments

• Dougie3.jpg
    Dougie3.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Dougie2.jpg
    Dougie2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dougie1.jpg
    Dougie1.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly one of these?

DSC01875.JPG

Search "N20 motor"..

PhilP.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This gives a better idea of size:

DSC01876.JPG

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
Possibly one of these?

View attachment 264683

Search "N20 motor"..

PhilP.
Thanks Phil - i've seen them. The ones I have seen are in a small clear plastic housing and I think the axle passed through it. I bought a couple of blue rectangular gear boxes with motor inside with an axle incorporated with 3mm shaft but they were not good (cost about £3). Slow speed was non existent, they just started after about 2.5v and abruptly and didn't seem as if they would last, lot of noise and vibration. I took them to bits and there were no bearings just moulded plastic. Fun this isn't it!

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Can you get another canopy?
Perhaps move the ticket office from the Station Master's house?

Make a substantial station building complex. :)
Too substantial for my redesigned railway. The building with the canopy will be on the track two platform and will serve as a waiting room and a P-way store.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Thanks Phil - i've seen them. The ones I have seen are in a small clear plastic housing and I think the axle passed through it...

This sort of thing from Tamiya? The ones I think you're looking for start a while down the page.

And the original forum thread:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Not possible with the motor fixed inside the carriage... Back to the drawing board...
It is if you make the motor and axle one unit that is sprung down for adhesion and the whole unit can slide sideways ;) Getting the springing right is the challenge.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Got phone back so here's some pics. Now removed centre wheels as you can see! And cut chassis and moved wheels much closer together... I now have a plan! Somebody on here posted some pics of really small cheap gearboxes that went on the wheel axle? I lost the thread and can't find them on ebay or amazon...

Or this way...
Tamiya 70103 Gearbox from here, Tamiya 70103 Universal Gearbox, no connection to the company other than an extremely satisfied existing customer.

Tamiya 70103.png

If you have time, would you mind supplying the measurements for the body work, height, width, length and so on, rather struck on it's appearance, and with time and materials to hand, may have a crack at building something similar, with Bluetooth control and Li-Po batteries.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Or this way...
Tamiya 70103 Gearbox from here, Tamiya 70103 Universal Gearbox, no connection to the company other than an extremely satisfied existing customer.

View attachment 264724

If you have time, would you mind supplying the measurements for the body work, height, width, length and so on, rather struck on it's appearance, and with time and materials to hand, may have a crack at building something similar, with Bluetooth control and Li-Po batteries.
I can‘t get this picture out of my head... man, the OPTIONS this tiny gearbox gives...! Wow!

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
A side view of my two new buildings for the CFR:-
E67FF989-4E11-420C-88E3-B7FD8D73760B.jpeg
Livingstone will replace the old shelter at Priory Halt. The halt will be renamed Livingstone. The sign will be visible to trains approaching from the east.
The stone building will become the excursion waiting room at St Bernards Station.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Progress continues on my SAR coach set. Painting done. Interior panelling and seats now in - that was fun. Next the underframes and bogies folowed by their roofs and final detailing. Max

20200421_181149.jpg