USA Trains SD40-2

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
What is the minimum radius that this loco will operate on? My layout is LGB R3 minimum and I have had problems in the past with these locos derailing.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Page 8 of the manual says 8' diameter, but you have to use the optional coupler box

What this means is the loco will run 8' diameter, but you may have trouble keeping rolling stock coupled, normally too tight and the coupled car derails.

There's tips on the USAT 3 axle series locos that greatly affects their trackability:

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember rightly, LGB R3 is a smidgen under 8ft :nod::nod:

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Page 8 of the manual says 8' diameter, but you have to use the optional coupler box

What this means is the loco will run 8' diameter, but you may have trouble keeping rolling stock coupled, normally too tight and the coupled car derails.

There's tips on the USAT 3 axle series locos that greatly affects their trackability:

Greg
Hi Greg if you are on line later could you advise me on a Crest revo problem please.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg if you are on line later could you advise me on a Crest revo problem please.
Hi good morning Greg I don't have your direct email etc, I'm fitting a K27 with revo sound and hit a problem

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My direct mail is in my signature ;)
So I carried out the pcb hard wiring to provide power to the lights etc, programmed my revo sound receiver, linking was successful.. However when I powered it up today, no lights on no internal cooling fan etc, but sound board has sound,, so my question is,, is there any revo transmitter settings that could have been corrupted and resulting in no power to K27 flicker board,, do you know Greg,?

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So I carried out the pcb hard wiring to provide power to the lights etc, programmed my revo sound receiver, linking was successful.. However when I powered it up today, no lights on no internal cooling fan etc, but sound board has sound,, so my question is,, is there any revo transmitter settings that could have been corrupted and resulting in no power to K27 flicker board,, do you know Greg,?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-142716.jpg
    Screenshot_20211213-142716.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 0

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Does not sound right.... so where did the instructions to add the jumper for power come from?

Give the link?

Also, is this battery or track power?

Greg
Hi Greg the info was a post I found on large scale central some time ago, and I'm using track power

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-142819.jpg
    Screenshot_20211213-142819.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211214-112121.jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-112121.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Can you post the link? Some of that information is flawed. I'd like to read the whole article.

Let's start a new thread please! This is a thread on a SD40, and the new topic should be "Bachmann K27 with Revo" or some-such.

I'll look for it.

Greg

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Can you post the link? Some of that information is flawed. I'd like to read the whole article.

Let's start a new thread please! This is a thread on a SD40, and the new topic should be "Bachmann K27 with Revo" or some-such.

I'll look for it.

Greg
Hi Greg I found the problem, a dry joint on the main + pad,, working fine now, so the mods I had referred to previously do indeed work.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Soldering is so much fun.

We had issues with Aristo, where the circuit boards had holes for wires, but the assembly people in China (Kader) just laid the wire on the board and put a dollop of solder on it.

Guess how many were "cold solder joints"?

Glad it is fixed...

Greg

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Soldering is so much fun.

We had issues with Aristo, where the circuit boards had holes for wires, but the assembly people in China (Kader) just laid the wire on the board and put a dollop of solder on it.

Guess how many were "cold solder joints"?

Glad it is fixed...

Greg
Hi Greg good to hear from you, I'm restoring a 44 tonner usa trains but can't find a schematic anywhere or any internal loco pictures,, also I can't find a sub menu on my Revolution tx, to adjust volume of my revo steam sound receiver,, any thoughts on either sir?

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg good to hear from you, I'm restoring a 44 tonner usa trains but can't find a schematic anywhere or any internal loco pictures,, also I can't find a sub menu on my Revolution tx, to adjust volume of my revo steam sound receiver,, any thoughts on either sir?

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_215306.jpg
    IMG_20211215_215306.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, no schematic, I have not opened mine, but very similar to all USAT diesels.

The volume is settable to high, medium, low, from function keys: 7, 8, 9 respectively... sound on off is 1.

Dave Bodnar was Aristo's replacement "engineer" after me, who was after George Schreyer (a funny story that) and he has a lot of info on the Revolution:

I have a page on the 44 Tonner, but mostly about history, and the aftermarket Kadee mount (which looks great!)

Greg

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, no schematic, I have not opened mine, but very similar to all USAT diesels.

The volume is settable to high, medium, low, from function keys: 7, 8, 9 respectively... sound on off is 1.

Dave Bodnar was Aristo's replacement "engineer" after me, who was after George Schreyer (a funny story that) and he has a lot of info on the Revolution:

I have a page on the 44 Tonner, but mostly about history, and the aftermarket Kadee mount (which looks great!)

Greg
Oops just got smoke on mother test, not good , on the usa truck, there are two feeds coming off the trucks, a two wire, red black,, and a twin pair red and black????