Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I've just acquired two units (I like the cut of their jib!).

I only have one switcher from USA Trains so these are a whole new ball game for me.

First question is - ex-factory, are they totally analogue?

Next - there are sockets at both ends on one unit and one only on the tail-end of the other. These seem to be the male plug-in portion so they do not connect to each other in the units back to back mode. Are these original?

Third - is there any data/instructions available for the model available to download?

Fourth - what does the B unit look like?

Five - would it be normal to run in the configuration shown in my pic?

Six - were these freight only or passenger only (or both).

USA Trains D&RGW FA1s (7).JPG

USA Trains D&RGW FA1s (8).JPG

USA Trains D&RGW FA1s (9).JPG

Thanks for looking and hopefully for some answers to the above (multitude) of questions!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick,
Some answers..

1. Yes analogue.

2. They are the connectors for battery powering the loco.

3. Yes.. Will try and find a link for you..

4. No idea, sorry!

5. Not 'normal' but possible..

6. No idea again..

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
PS Mick..

I *think* your 'USA Trains' FA1 is an Aristocraft FA1???

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
PS Mick..

I *think* your 'USA Trains' FA1 is an Aristocraft FA1???

Hi PhilP

I wondered, because the couplings are Aristocraft - but the units were listed as USA. There does not seem to be anything to say one way or the other. They are quite big though. Would a photo of the underside of the trucks help? I'll have to take a piccy and change to google chrome to post that!

Thanks for the answers so far too!

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I've just acquired two units (I like the cut of their jib!).

I only have one switcher from USA Trains so these are a whole new ball game for me.

First question is - ex-factory, are they totally analogue?

Next - there are sockets at both ends on one unit and one only on the tail-end of the other. These seem to be the male plug-in portion so they do not connect to each other in the units back to back mode. Are these original?

Third - is there any data/instructions available for the model available to download?

Fourth - what does the B unit look like?

Five - would it be normal to run in the configuration shown in my pic?

Six - were these freight only or passenger only (or both).

View attachment 211848

View attachment 211849

View attachment 211850

Thanks for looking and hopefully for some answers to the above (multitude) of questions!
Mick,
To begin with, you have Aristo-craft FA-1's. This is a downer in that they are no longer fully in business. There is an off-shoot called Polks Generation Next, but it is only the palest of shadows of Aristo (they list one FA-1 @ $440!) So any info you need must be sought under Aristo-Craft.
These are popular and reliable units that are analogue and were produced in many versions for many years; yours seem to be the final iteration.
The similar vintage RDC's that I have contain sockets that Aristo used to sell connecting cables for. I have found that .1 inch spaced plugs (generic electronic parts) will work. I believe the plugs were primarily to facilitate conversion to battery operation, although I use them for m.u.
Data will require some searching, now aided by looking to Aristo.
The B unit has both ends identical to the rear of your A units and is identical in length.
Back-to-back operation of the A units was very common.
The FA was sold as a freight unit, but a number of railroads did use them in passenger service, even equipping them with heating generators. Several tourist lines still operate them. The Rio Grande used the longer Alco PA-1's (modeled by USA trains, incidentally) for its passenger service.
I am sure that the Aristo experts on the forum will fill in the blanks I have left--Enjoy your eye-catching purchase!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mick,
Above seems to confirm initial thoughts..

If you are DCC, and want to convert, let me know.. These units are not DCC friendly, but there are ways round it.
PhilP.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick,
To begin with, you have Aristo-craft FA-1's. This is a downer in that they are no longer fully in business. There is an off-shoot called Polks Generation Next, but it is only the palest of shadows of Aristo (they list one FA-1 @ $440!) So any info you need must be sought under Aristo-Craft.
These are popular and reliable units that are analogue and were produced in many versions for many years; yours seem to be the final iteration.
The similar vintage RDC's that I have contain sockets that Aristo used to sell connecting cables for. I have found that .1 inch spaced plugs (generic electronic parts) will work. I believe the plugs were primarily to facilitate conversion to battery operation, although I use them for m.u.
Data will require some searching, now aided by looking to Aristo.
The B unit has both ends identical to the rear of your A units and is identical in length.
Back-to-back operation of the A units was very common.
The FA was sold as a freight unit, but a number of railroads did use them in passenger service, even equipping them with heating generators. Several tourist lines still operate them. The Rio Grande used the longer Alco PA-1's (modeled by USA trains, incidentally) for its passenger service.
I am sure that the Aristo experts on the forum will fill in the blanks I have left--Enjoy your eye-catching purchase!

Thank you very much Arthur - between yourself and PhilP I am now a lot wiser! I don't think I'd run them on my trailer layout back-to-back as I have the fuses set for 3amp. Now the garden' a different story!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick,
Above seems to confirm initial thoughts..

If you are DCC, and want to convert, let me know.. These units are not DCC friendly, but there are ways round it.
PhilP.

Hey - I'm not DCC friendly either! I'm envious of those that have taken the plunge - but I'll have to keep my feet firmly anchored to the analogue world. And even the latter has aspects of befuddlement for me!

But thank you all the same.

I'm a lot wiser (said he, trying to remember things) but you and Arthur have been extremely helpful.

Just one other question - what era are the prototypes. I was thinking early fifties (wish I was).

Thanks once again.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, and here's a piccy of the truck underside!

DSCF7088.JPG

PS - I found the "missing" plug tucked inside the underside of the body (I'd only scrutinized the underside of the other unit and not this one!!!!!

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hey - I'm not DCC friendly either! I'm envious of those that have taken the plunge - but I'll have to keep my feet firmly anchored to the analogue world. And even the latter has aspects of befuddlement for me!

But thank you all the same.

I'm a lot wiser (said he, trying to remember things) but you and Arthur have been extremely helpful.

Just one other question - what era are the prototypes. I was thinking early fifties (wish I was).

Thanks once again.

That body style was produced from 1946-59. Less popular after Alco introduced the Rs-3.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I see the 2007 date and the post 2005 flying connectors. They, if you are unaware, allow for MU use or trailing battery car operations.

One adoption I made to my Santa Fe FA-1 was to reverse the trucks i.e. the flexing wheels leading. This allows for better road holding on any troublesome corners. ;) This was advice given by a friend in Florida who reverses all his Aristo loco trucks.
I understand the road numbers for various production runs are 2008, 6003 and 6006. Apparently there are some 6003 models which were incorrectly numbered i.e. having the numbers 6003 as numberboard and 2008 elsewhere. Not too difficult to alter as far as I can see.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
That body style was produced from 1946-59. Less popular after Alco introduced the Rs-3.

Thanks for that info.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The track pickups are separate from the motor leads, so they ARE DCC friendly, much more than the 3 wire LGB blocks.

No socket, but easy to wire.

Greg

The pickup and motors, yes..
The lighting is another matter entirely..

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I see the 2007 date and the post 2005 flying connectors. They, if you are unaware, allow for MU use or trailing battery car operations.

One adoption I made to my Santa Fe FA-1 was to reverse the trucks i.e. the flexing wheels leading. This allows for better road holding on any troublesome corners. ;) This was advice given by a friend in Florida who reverses all his Aristo loco trucks.
I understand the road numbers for various production runs are 2008, 6003 and 6006. Apparently there are some 6003 models which were incorrectly numbered i.e. having the numbers 6003 as numberboard and 2008 elsewhere. Not too difficult to alter as far as I can see.

Thanks Alan - that's worth knowing. I've yet to test them on the track - just thought I'd elicit as much information about them as I could before I did. I've learnt a lot this afternoon from the likes of yourself.

Maybe I should alter the thread title to NOT USA Trains!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
True Philip, but it has so few lights, replacing with LEDs and wiring to the decoder is dead simple.

I'm more reacting to "not DCC friendly" to be something like rewiring a 3 wire LGB block, a lot of work, or some complex lighting that is difficult to replace, like the intricate wiring of a USA Trains F unit, which has 3 different voltages and a bunch of lamps, not LEDs.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Actually Mick, your photo of the back of the A unit shows the Aristo logo on the back of the loco >:)>:)>:)

I think you're better of with Aristo, as USA trains had a reputation for massive current draw. The later Aristo models were drawing a lot less current. :clap::clap:

My book says they were first made in 1945 :rock::rock::rock:

Isn't this the Ski Train livery? Someone on this forum had a complete Ski Train - was it Spike from Sussex?

I have found one photo with and FA1 /FB1 in this livery with the first wagon being a box car - that's all that's in shot.

Last edited:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick
Well a nice pair.
The Rio Grande did not use Alco FA1 in real life only the EMD F and Alco PA series in the Aspen gold, silver and black liveried 'Zephyr' trains... they also did not use the longer E8s ........ but that would more relevant to rivet counters.

The Grande used the F and PA locos as passenger power as part of the Zephyrs (Primarily 'The Prospector', then The Californian Zephyr, later The Rio Grande Zephyr as well as the PA unit used on the short lived Yampa valley Mail.). The F units were used for the 'Ski Train' that ran from Denver to the Winter Park ski resort.
As they became older and revenue from the 'Zephyrs' was declining and the passenger fleet was shortened and eventually finished, the railroad would put the gold and black striped jobbies into freight consists...... they became a wee bit dirty and a bit sorry for themselves, but to the Rio Grande's credit, they did clean the F and PA units more than the other diesels!

This the front of one of my F3 'A' units as it draws in at Beaver Creek Station

zephyr pulls into beaver 2 square.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users