trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just to let you know that the your comments, help, advice, and pics, did not fall on stoney ground1

I've complied a folder with it all in!

Folder.JPG

Thanks all of you - it has been a great help.

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter - if all else fails, I will build one from scratch!

That's a great shot Dave - thanks for posting!
How much of a hurry are you in Mick? I may have a B unit body in Sante Fe livery somewhere in the garage. Not sure what I did with the chassis or power units though.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
My, my what an organised fella you are Mick..... A dossier no less!!

I will keep a look out for a rio grande Aristo FA1 b unit... But as the Grande really did mix their F3 A, B units with PA 'B' units you could use a USA Trains F3 B unit with your Aristo FA1 'A' unit. If I remember correctly when I had an Aristo FA1 pair, they ran pretty much at the same speed as my USA Trains F3 units.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
How much of a hurry are you in Mick? I may have a B unit body in Sante Fe livery somewhere in the garage. Not sure what I did with the chassis or power units though.

The body only would do fine if you can't find the trucks - I can make some - it doesn't have to be powered (it's almost going to be a match truck - I'm thinking of truck mounting the couplins on it although the A unit will not be altered).
Let me know if you find it (or all) and I'll sort something about UK delivery and payment (Paypal gift or bank transfer).
Many thanks.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My, my what an organised fella you are Mick..... A dossier no less!!

I will keep a look out for a rio grande Aristo FA1 b unit... But as the Grande really did mix their F3 A, B units with PA 'B' units you could use a USA Trains F3 B unit with your Aristo FA1 'A' unit. If I remember correctly when I had an Aristo FA1 pair, they ran pretty much at the same speed as my USA Trains F3 units.

Hi Mike - how are they size-wise? I'm thinking of either building one or converting one now (as in my reply to ebaymike). The garden line doesn't pose a problem but the trailer has some restrictions! If I had a four motor set, it would be up to the limit of the fixed controller (unless I use the 10amp Train Engineer). The reasoning is that I like to have several trains on the go at once - just controlled by switching sections in or out (and point setting of course).

I like your USAT one though! Thanks for continuing to look though. I just bought something this morning from ebay. The boss was OK about it (just a J&S carriage) - don't know about a whole F3 though. It's quite dilemma
being bitten by the diesel bug!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
The body only would do fine if you can't find the trucks - I can make some - it doesn't have to be powered (it's almost going to be a match truck - I'm thinking of truck mounting the couplins on it although the A unit will not be altered).
Let me know if you find it (or all) and I'll sort something about UK delivery and payment (Paypal gift or bank transfer).
Many thanks.
I think it's somewhere behind this lot. As Mr Oates said, I may be gone some time.IMG_20160618_164325_1466264796625_1.JPG

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I like your USAT one though! Thanks for continuing to look though. I just bought something this morning from ebay. The boss was OK about it (just a J&S carriage) - don't know about a whole F3 though. It's quite dilemma
being bitten by the diesel bug!

Know what you mean. I got into the diesels due to the fact that my steamers were having problems hauling stuff up my inclines!
I had originally wanted my line to be in the era of 1900 to 1935 but the diesels spread it wider.... it is now 1900 to early 1960s...but they do have a certain 'presence' about them.
I did end up building motorised freight and passenger cars to 'invisibly' help the steamers and had I done that first I probably would never have got into diesels at all!

The USAT F3 'B' unit is just a tad longer than the Aristo FA1 'B'

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick. Finally located just the body shell late last night. Search resumes shortly for associated bits. Hope to be back later today with photos of all finds. I had two A and one B units. One of each in SF livery and the other in B&O. The plan was to use the two end units as a basis for a class 37 and the motors from the B to power a Brighton Belle lookalike constructed from butchered Bachmann JS coaches.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick. Finally located just the body shell late last night. Search resumes shortly for associated bits. Hope to be back later today with photos of all finds. I had two A and one B units. One of each in SF livery and the other in B&O. The plan was to use the two end units as a basis for a class 37 and the motors from the B to power a Brighton Belle lookalike constructed from butchered Bachmann JS coaches.

I will be curious to see how close they come to a class 37..

DSC01170.JPG

DSC01181.JPG

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Now that would have been interesting!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Message received Mick, but here's what I found anyway. Body shell is complete with all handrails, grilles, corridor connection, end recessed bulkheads and covers for smoke and fan units. The actual smoke unit and fan, together with all internal wiring and electrics have been removed. The chassis has all six sets of steps, the sprung body mounted couplers are complete with the knuckles which are separate. The bogie pivot mounts have been removed but there is still a central hole to use. The large box underneath between the bogies is there. There are also the four (dummy) truck sides with working suspension and axle end power pick-ups.IMG_20160619_163935_1466350866511_1.JPG

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I will be curious to see how close they come to a class 37..
That would have been my interpretation with ample use of the rubber ruler Phil. Just an impression would have been enough for me, (as per my Orient Express and Leopold threads). A passsble BR livery hopefully would divert the gaze from the glaring inaccuracies.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Message received Mick, but here's what I found anyway. Body shell is complete with all handrails, grilles, corridor connection, end recessed bulkheads and covers for smoke and fan units. The actual smoke unit and fan, together with all internal wiring and electrics have been removed. The chassis has all six sets of steps, the sprung body mounted couplers are complete with the knuckles which are separate. The bogie pivot mounts have been removed but there is still a central hole to use. The large box underneath between the bogies is there. There are also the four (dummy) truck sides with working suspension and axle end power pick-ups.View attachment 212180

Just to say thank you very much to Mike - collected the B unit parts from local post office before lunch. Just the job! Forum Power!

Will start a new thread when I get my act together.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I went to B&M in Strabane yesterday in search of Plasticote paint just in case they had something like the required colour. They don't stock it over here, so I thought I'd google Halfords.ie. Over 50,000 paints to mix if you have the RAL number or details from car! So no joy there then.

Then I remembered a 5 litre tin of Nebon metal primer. I also remembered it was yellow(ish) in colour. I now, also remember that I've had it since 2006 (not 2008 like I just said in the Coffee Lounge!).

What surpised me when I opened it was that, it wasn't a solid crusted lump (so must have put lid on correctly and inverted can to seal it - although I can't remember doing that), but that the shade was almost a match for the livery I wanted! I added a little red undercoat, tried turps subs as a thinner - no go. Poured off turps into brush soaking pot, then found correct thinners.

I might need to filter the paint before I use it in an Airbrush. I did paint a rectangle on an icecream tub lid and it did not react with the cheap plastic. So I may be able to do what I wanted after all!

Will start a new thread later on the B units.

Maybe this thread should be retitled NOT USA Trains FA-1 Units!