trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Now, just getting that lump of jelly in my cranium sorted out - the unit behind the loco is a B unit (right?).

Has anyone got a pic of the Aristo B unit or a link thereto? (Assuming I've got it right in the first sentence!!!)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
You asked sir.....

Aristo FA1 'B' unit

aristo rio fa b unit.jpeg

and for comparison...
USA Trains F3 'B' unit

usa trains F3 b unit.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
A quick shot of my F3 A with two B units pulling the 'Ski Train'.
The loco heading up is an SD70 'Heritage' (Union Pacific painted a fleet of SD70s in a paint scheme to reflect each of the railroads that they had 'hoovered up'.
The SD70 is a 'MAC' version as that is what USA Trains had produced (they just did a repaint of their model).......it should really be an SD70 ACE with big radiator pods flaring out at the back...but never mind eh?

The picture is a bit fictitious in the 'lash-up' as the Heritage SD70 has only been used on the Ski Train once whilst heading up F40PH locos, but who is to say that it wouldn't happen with F units?

On my layout.....

snow ski train side view.jpg

The real 1:1 scale thing!.....

heritage sd70 ski train.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Still looks good though - and the real snow too - and I wouldn't know the difference apart from the heritage loco!

Thanks for the pics Mike - now the B is on my wish list!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick I had forgotten (a senior moment) that they DID hook up an SD70 to the front of the 'Ski Train' for one time, but it was in front of F40PH power units not EMD 'F' jobbies.
I have amended my previous posting and put up a picture of the real thing.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mick I had forgotten (a senior moment) that they DID hook up an SD70 to the front of the 'Ski Train' for one time, but it was in front of F40PH power units not EMD 'F' jobbies.
I have amended my previous posting and put up a picture of the real thing.

I cannot remember why I leave one room to go to another sometimes - so you're excused!

Like the photo by the way!

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I saw these on EBay and contacted the seller to tell him these units were aristo not USAT. He replied saying that he knew more about it than me. If they had been USAT F units I would have been interested.
USAT motors are not all that power hungry at around half an amp for each 4 wheel bogie when running light. Switching the lights on usually adds considerably to the amps being drawn - I think typically about .7 amp. Heavy loads and hard acceleration also pump up the amps.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's a great pic Howard - printing that one off as well! Many thanks.

That picture was used on one of the DRGW timetable booklets that I have in my collection - from 1958.

The other side of the folded booklet shows (mainly) the coaching stock on a California Zephyr service in Glenwood Canyon, but you can just make out the Alco diesels on another passenger train passing that one in the loop.....

DSCF8238.JPG

I started collecting US timetables in the last 20 years, particularly for some of the artwork displayed on the covers - not just the contents of the books !

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I saw these on EBay and contacted the seller to tell him these units were aristo not USAT. He replied saying that he knew more about it than me. If they had been USAT F units I would have been interested.
USAT motors are not all that power hungry at around half an amp for each 4 wheel bogie when running light. Switching the lights on usually adds considerably to the amps being drawn - I think typically about .7 amp. Heavy loads and hard acceleration also pump up the amps.

I was no wiser until I posted this thread. I'm happy enough with them though - tried them together with a load and they ran fine on a 1 amp Bachman controller.

If I see something on ebay that is blatantly not what it purports to be, I'll message the seller! Of late, I've had enough hassle from some sellers - and the odd one strains credulity beyond belief! Imagine putting two towing mirrors in an old Aldi carrier bag without any form of packing! Smashed mirror was the result!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
That picture was used on one of the DRGW timetable booklets that I have in my collection - from 1958.

The other side of the folded booklet shows (mainly) the coaching stock on a California Zephyr service in Glenwood Canyon, but you can just make out the Alco diesels on another passenger train passing that one in the loop.....

View attachment 211984

I started collecting US timetables in the last 20 years, particularly for some of the artwork displayed on the covers - not just the contents of the books !

I like those. I find the D&RGW a fascinating railway - I have a few publications (maybe I should read them again!). Thanks for posting!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just a couple of pics from a running session this afternoon ....

FA-1s on thr garden line (4).JPG

FA-1s on thr garden line (11).JPG

I'd just like to reiterate my thanks for all the help, advice and contributions received!

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Quite surprised they went round R1's.. Even light engine..

I got one of these (in 'real' colours.....UP). Mine gets around R1 no problems, and does not derail the following stock. Apart from stating the obvious of having good trackwork, the loco did cause a problem when I tried to change couplers. On the FA, there is a centering spring that won't accept other couplers (even the Aristo loop). So, I have kept the as built couplers, run an Aristo wagon behind it, followed by any sort of couplers you want.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I got one of these (in 'real' colours.....UP). Mine gets around R1 no problems, and does not derail the following stock. Apart from stating the obvious of having good trackwork, the loco did cause a problem when I tried to change couplers. On the FA, there is a centering spring that won't accept other couplers (even the Aristo loop). So, I have kept the as built couplers, run an Aristo wagon behind it, followed by any sort of couplers you want.

I just tried the two FA1s back to back and they uncoupled - mind you there are two sets of points within a short distance. To haul around the garden I used an aristo box car, then another with the 'correct' coupling and a Bachmann knuckle at the other end. The three transporter wagons are hook and loop so I had to change one for a knuckle.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
ITMA - yes, another question!

Does anyone know the length of the body (roof length would be the best measure) on the B unit - all other measurements I can glean from the FA-1?

Thanks in anticipation!

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
496 mm.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 211984

A propos the setting, I took this picture of Wind River Canyon in Wyoming a few days ago. No loco but the scenery is impressive. I think it is freight only.
IMG_0606.JPG

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag