Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My wifes birthday trip this year happened to take us to Porto, where as if by magic they happen to have a few trams.
Porto has adopted light rail vehicles (modern trams) to operate their metro system, this is a separate system to the heritage trams they still operate.
My problem now is which photos to share here.
Tram depot 1
Route 18/22 interchange
How about all of them?
Final photos of our trip were in Rotterdam. These were taken before travelling to the Hoek Van Holland for the ferry to Harwich.
Nice set of pics, I have also done some of them lines. Berlin is one of those places that you could do a week enjoying Trams and other trains, love to see the red n Creme Sbahn train that crept in on one of the pics, the classic former East German colour scheme on many of the NG lines.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
We only had one full day in Berlin so I decided to buy just the one day travel card for the trams. The hotel we were staying at was just across the road from the Hauptbahnhof and the tram stop. There was a route diversion around the Alexander Platz with Route 5 using Route 8 but this did not cause much of a problem. Travelling on the trams gave you a different view of Berlin. I think we only missed travelling on a couple of the routes. It was a great day out if rather cold.

It was only in Frankfurt an der Oder that we saw and travelled on the old style trams. Most of the trams we travelled on appeared to have been made by Bombardier.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
When I go somewhere I tend to photograph things on the basis I am unlikely to revisit, Dunnyrail if I shared all my photos from a trip I suspect I'd overload the system. Keeping in mind we had one day away from Porto and an inforced day without seeing the older tram system I took circa 1,000 photos/video's, plus those of the metro system :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
When I go somewhere I tend to photograph things on the basis I am unlikely to revisit, Dunnyrail if I shared all my photos from a trip I suspect I'd overload the system. Keeping in mind we had one day away from Porto and an inforced day without seeing the older tram system I took circa 1,000 photos/video's, plus those of the metro system :)
Oh ok just a few then, the circle in Lisbon if you have any always gets ooohs and aaahs.

borsig1963

Registered
26 Oct 2016
Italy
Best answers
Country flag
ciao, few pics from last travel in Praga, T3 paradise, hope you enjoy ;)

Paolo

Attachments

• 07_5572.jpg
    07_5572.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 0
  • 08_8417.jpg
    08_8417.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 19_43.jpg
    19_43.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20_7122.jpg
    20_7122.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 24_tramo.jpg
    24_tramo.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 26_lgb.jpg
    26_lgb.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 0

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Paolo
Excellent, I was looking through the photos from my Prague trip about ten years ago, and found that I hadn't taken any pictures of trams, largely because when a tram came along I was waiting to get on it :giggle:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Paolo
I think the Ringhoffer trams are my favourites.

A couple of years ago the opportunity arose to buy the front end of a T3, I said to my wife look this would make a nice entrance for the house, unfortunately the reply can not be repeated hear :giggle: :tmi::frowning:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of years ago the opportunity arose to buy the front end of a T3, I said to my wife look this would make a nice entrance for the house, unfortunately the reply can not be repeated hear :giggle: :tmi::frowning:
I take it that she was not in favour of the idea - can't understand why :emo::emo::emo:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I take it that she was not in favour of the idea - can't understand why :emo::emo::emo:
I know, I thought the front end of a T3 would make an excellent front door entrance, and I offered a compromise to fit a non authentic lock on the doors ‍♂️

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting vid about SAN FranCisco Trams.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another Interesting vid, this one showing portable temporary track in use. Be interesting to try this in our scale.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Someone on the forum in the last week or so asked if I could post any pictures I have of Isle of Mann Freight Vans. So here we are, taken in 1973. There were still workings of the vans taking post up and down the line from Douglas to Ramsey, possibly dropping off/picking up post en route as well. The morning car from Ramsey that connected to the Boat always had a van on. The top and bottom pics are at the now disused part of Ramsey Station, the middle one heading into Laxey I think.
62EA895B-C52E-4CCC-9CF1-D06602C43FFF.jpegA611FFBE-85F1-4F54-997C-03137530C9C5.jpeg4E213A3A-AF71-4969-863E-2C6FD81F164E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Someone on the forum in the last week or so asked if I could post any pictures I have of Isle of Mann Freight Vans. So here we are, taken in 1973. There were still workings of the vans taking post up and down the line from Douglas to Ramsey, possibly dropping off/picking up post en route as well. The morning car from Ramsey that connected to the Boat always had a van on. The top and bottom pics are at the now disused part of Ramsey Station, the middle one heading into Laxey I think.
View attachment 311075View attachment 311076View attachment 311077
It was myself who asked for the Manx photos, thanks for sharing, you can never have too many photos of the MER, thanks.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It was myself who asked for the Manx photos, thanks for sharing, you can never have too many photos of the MER, thanks.
Sorry I forgot it was you DAVID, I expect you may want some more of the other Cars phoned on that trip?

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry I forgot it was you DAVID, I expect you may want some more of the other Cars phoned on that trip?
It would be rude to say no no as you have offered, thank you.

Now I have a workbench I really must get back to building MER cars.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
...the now disused part of Ramsey Station...
I haven't been to the Island for five years so am a bit behind with the trams; has Ramsey station been reduced still further? There were horrible plans to 'modernise' it a few years back, and the large corrugated iron tram shed has off course gone. The goods shed became a yoof club (along with down wiv da kidz 'graffiti' to make it look cool and New York-ish... :rolleyes:).
There was usually an MER van by the bufferstops at Ramsey and yes, the trams were used for deliveries (including mail); I remember having car parts 'put on the tram' in Douglas in the early '80's.
An interesting quirk of Ramsey Plaza station (to give it its full name) in the 1970's was the Milk Marketing Board vending machine in the front garden, bordering Waterloo Road; presumably it was refrigerated -it sold cartons of milk- but even in the days of corner shops rather than 7-11 convenience stores it seemed an oddity. Long gone now, of course.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't been to the Island for five years so am a bit behind with the trams; has Ramsey station been reduced still further? There were horrible plans to 'modernise' it a few years back, and the large corrugated iron tram shed has off course gone. The goods shed became a yoof club (along with down wiv da kidz 'graffiti' to make it look cool and New York-ish... :rolleyes:).
There was usually an MER van by the bufferstops at Ramsey and yes, the trams were used for deliveries (including mail); I remember having car parts 'put on the tram' in Douglas in the early '80's.
An interesting quirk of Ramsey Plaza station (to give it its full name) in the 1970's was the Milk Marketing Board vending machine in the front garden, bordering Waterloo Road; presumably it was refrigerated -it sold cartons of milk- but even in the days of corner shops rather than 7-11 convenience stores it seemed an oddity. Long gone now, of course.
I have just been on google maps, I hadn’t realised someone had moved the terminus, I am guessing they still need to cross the road to run round trailers?

Also gone seems to be the old goods shed.