Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing on trams for ages.. Then three of you pop-up together!! ;):giggle::giggle:

Hat, coat, door!!

Mind you, I did purchase a copy of The Railway Magazine, as I am originally from Nottingham and there is an article on the two new lines they have opened..
Was there another 'tram' person who was after travelling on all the tram routes?? - Bit like the Branch-Line Society.

I had thought of mentioning it on here..
<Thread drift warning>
There is also an article about the release of 'Big Boy' 4014, and its' restoration..

In fact, quite a bit of interest..
I was for a few years traveling every route on every system in uk every year. Last year was the first that that madness ceased. I now try to just do each new extension/line on the year that they open. Sad I know.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Helps with the unemployment numbers too.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
In answer to the question that is the thread title - Mick has been running a variety of trams on the Ox Mountain Railway these last few days :clap::clap::clap:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Street scene from a G Scale tram layout at Solent Local Area Group, G Scale Society, Wickham Show, 5.11.2011. Apologies that the name of the layout now eludes me.

170128.JPG

David

Reactions: 4 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Street scene from a G Scale tram layout at Solent Local Area Group, G Scale Society, Wickham Show, 5.11.2011. Apologies that the name of the layout now eludes me.

View attachment 218942

David

Did you get any shots of the trams by any chance?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Did you get any shots of the trams by any chance?

I only appear to have one, which does not show a great deal, I seem to remember there was not much running at the time I took the photographs.

dig 111105038.JPG

David

Reactions: 2 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Another of my photographs of a tram trundling through the streets of Soller, Mallorca, 22.6.2010 copied across from the Coffee Lounge.

dig 100622055[1].JPG

David

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Midland Metro CAF built car No.19, Grand Central tram stop, Birmingham, 23.2.2017

DSCF9510.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
Memories, only memories, but yes, keep up with the tram piccies - even I don't have memories of trams running in the London suburbs (although my Nan always talked about catching the tram when she meant the bus) all I saw was tram rail embedded in the granite sets at Fulwell depot.
the crossover at Fulwell depot, alas has been tarmaced over, so far as I know, the only visible tram track in London, is at the northern ramp of the Kingsway subway and a short section on a plinth on Ilford High street. (would welcome news of any other )
A ride on the top deck, over Westminister bridge and up through the tunnel to Holborn was a regular treat, until the system closed in '52, when I was six years old.

Reactions: 1 user

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
Nothing about "a box shaped object for conveying people" then??? :giggle::D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:
No - a Box shaped object for conveying people is London transport's 'S' stock trains, with it's all sideways seating - the stuff of nightmares!

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That looks a bit upmarket for Birmingham :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

The CAF ones are rather different to the awful Ansaldobreda T-69 ones that opened the line in 1999.
Thankfully, they have all been replaced now, though one of them was still parked up at the Depot when I passed it last Thursday.
Several extensions on the cards now for the line, and the first of the trams has just been fitted with batteries for operation on some of the new sections that will not be equipped with overhead wires.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
No - a Box shaped object for conveying people is London transport's 'S' stock trains, with it's all sideways seating - the stuff of nightmares!

I once heard a Calcutta tram described as a rectangular block of humanity with a trolley pole sticking out of the top !

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The CAF ones are rather different to the awful Ansaldobreda T-69 ones that opened the line in 1999.
Thankfully, they have all been replaced now, though one of them was still parked up at the Depot when I passed it last Thursday.
Several extensions on the cards now for the line, and the first of the trams has just been fitted with batteries for operation on some of the new sections that will not be equipped with overhead wires.
It wasn't just the tram - the buildings look very unlike Birmingham as I remember it :tmi::tmi:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Steve Lewis started this thread in 2015 and has long since changed scales and rolling stock since then.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Steve Lewis started this thread in 2015 and has long since changed scales and rolling stock since then.
Yeah, it's surprising how this thread has trolled along, and apart from the usual banter, there are some interesting pictures coming up along the way.

it's unusual for Steve to change direction :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
3 random Tram Pics from 2011 at Rostock.
image.jpeg
The lovely turning circle that used to exist at Rostock Hbf (circa to 1978) has been replaced by this impersonal Tram Subway Station. But at least there is a thriving and extended Tramway from the old days of East Germany.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Here with a Rostok tram from 2008:

DSCF4833.JPG