The KoF has landed! (Long, rambling review....)

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
wandgrudd said:
Zerogee said:
The Big Red Box looks just the same as ever - someone said they were now skimping on the cardboard thickness, but this seems fine to me. Usual foam sleeve, a VERY tight fit in the card outer, loco snugly held inside the foam with a polythene wrap around it, mine survived the predations of Interlink couriers without any problems. Interestingly, the box does NOT say "made in China", or anywhere else for that matter, though this is clearly embossed on the underside of the loco itself.

Glad you locos arrived fine, any pictures with other stock to see size comparison.

Note re the box depending what box you have its most certainly not the same big red box for all the items.
the 3 part boxes (outer red card and upper and lower polystyrene) are different the reds a completely different shade to the old lgb boxes but that could be caused by the card now being brown and thinner not white to the inside as before. The polystyrene isn?t as strong on the set boxes you can easily crumble it in your hand didn?t you to be able to so something?s changed.

The box for the KoF is a traditional LGB 3-part (sleeve plus upper and lower polystyrene), and the card is actually still white inside. To me, the red looks pretty much the same as all the other LGB I've bought that has been made in the last ten years or so. It does bear the Marklin factory address and contact details (so it's not simply old LGB stock being used up), and a " http://www.lgb.de" < Link To www.lgb.de" website address on a little red sticker separately applied to the box.
Mind you, as I've got probably half-a-dozen different LGB box styles and types from through the years, everything from yellow boxes onwards (not got hold of anything old enough to have a grey box yet!), I'm not sure it really matters. The important thing is that it still feels substantial enough to protect the contents both during shipping and for subsequent storage.

Jon.

Oh well might just be something there trying out, defiantly not the same on the large boxes,
Will sort a review out of the rhb locos this weekend and included the box problems. Box and quality control problems apart, you can see lgb are heading slowly in the right direction there?s one hell of a lot more detail been put in to that small model than you would have found a few years ago. Looking at your close up pictures you?d be fooled in to thinking it was made by one of the more expensive brands. Small crisp lifting hooks on the roof that was advertised as a feature on the 2095 three years ago and now its standard, handles on the side panels, black detail behind the grill on the front etc much better and all the more for the price tag looks even better value when you look at the LGB 24410 SBB Tractor Locomotive only a little bit less for a much older model.

Which motor block does it use, The smaller wheeled one from the rhb locos or the large one from the rhb Ge 4/4 or has lgb made a custom one?

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
An excellent review, thanks for posting.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
wandgrudd said:
.... Looking at your close up pictures you?d be fooled in to thinking it was made by one of the more expensive brands. Small crisp lifting hooks on the roof that was advertised as a feature on the 2095 three years ago and now its standard, handles on the side panels, black detail behind the grill on the front etc much better and all the more for the price tag looks even better value when you look at the LGB 24410 SBB Tractor Locomotive only a little bit less for a much older model.

Which motor block does it use, The smaller wheeled one from the rhb locos or the large one from the rhb Ge 4/4 or has lgb made a custom one?

Agreed on the detail - maybe not QUITE the level of Aster, Magnus or Schug, but it's not far off if you squint a bit! The only other LGB loco I have which comes anywhere close to the level of detail in the KoF is probably my OBB 2092 class (a lovely loco spoiled only by the bendy handrails!), which is one of the very few other pieces that have been produced as all-new designs in recent years. It does make a lot of my other locos (including the Tm2/2 tractor, as you mentioned) look quite crude in comparison, which is what I meant in the review about the KoF looking much more of a scale model.
I do think that this new detailed style looks great, but it has probably sacrificed a little of LGB's traditional strength and resilience to damage. While there are stories of old LGB locos being dropped from considerable heights with minimal damage, I wouldn't want to try it with this one - this isn't really a loco to let the little kiddies loose on, it feels like it's strong enough for normal sensible handling but should also be treated with respect.
As to the motor block, without going out into the storage shed and checking on any other locos, I'm not sure if the design has been used before or not. The wheelbase and skate location looks similar to those on the RHB Tractors (I don't have a Ge4/4 so can't comment on that one), it may be the same unit, though at the very least it has a newly-moulded baseplate on the block carrying an embossed "LGB" logo, "Made in China" and the Euro CE and safe disposal ("crossed out wheelie bin") marks. It still has the round gold QC check sticker, though this now has 7 digits rather than the old 6 (it reads "0028810"). Interestingly it does NOT carry the silver "D" MTS sticker.

Jon.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent review - I want a Kof too !
Time to boldly lie where no man has lied before.....

Zerogee said:
... though at the very least it has a newly-moulded baseplate on the block carrying an embossed "LGB" logo, "Made in China" and the Euro CE and safe disposal ("crossed out wheelie bin") marks.
If anyone is unsure of how to dispose of their Kof safely, then please feel free to send it to me, and I will ensure that it is disposed of in line with current EU legislation. I am considering setting up as Europes first licensed LGB disposal contractor so you may rest assured that your dangerous and unwanted LGB will [strike]find its way into Mikes stock cubberd [/strike]no longer represent a serious environmental hazard.[strike]
[/strike]

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
sorry David I started recycling other peoples LGB years ago. I feel we offer a better service as we don't charge you for scrapping it, and in some cases will even pay for it if the parts have value, even after the government stopped the scrappage scheme.
;)

Thanks for the review of the Kof it does look very good and if you compare it to many other European models in HO it certainly does seem fair price. Not that I'm averse to Piko pricing though. :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Further to yesterday's review and pics, this morning I trimmed down the lower locating clip on the KoF's filter assembly and fixed it back with a drop of superglue, so it's no longer at a funny angle - a five minute job, and looks much better, I'm sure you'll agree!

dccf2052cff4494f9564d321274cffcb.jpg

afa81b2b679541309a05bc51559f8d9d.jpg

Anyone else had their KoF delivered yet, or got one on order? Jeremy told me he had eight coming in, wonder how many are left? With the 5% discount for GSC members (or even without it!) and his almost-free shipping* he's certainly the best price without the hassle and risks of ordering one from Germany.
* £2.50 shipping charge on a £300+ order is so near free that it makes no difference!

Jon.

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
Fantastic review of what is going to turn out to be a popular little loco I think ;)

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
wandgrudd said:
.... Looking at your close up pictures you?d be fooled in to thinking it was made by one of the more expensive brands. Small crisp lifting hooks on the roof that was advertised as a feature on the 2095 three years ago and now its standard, handles on the side panels, black detail behind the grill on the front etc much better and all the more for the price tag looks even better value when you look at the LGB 24410 SBB Tractor Locomotive only a little bit less for a much older model.

Agreed on the detail - maybe not QUITE the level of Aster, Magnus or Schug, but it's not far off if you squint a bit! The only other LGB loco I have which comes anywhere close to the level of detail in the KoF is probably my OBB 2092 class (a lovely loco spoiled only by the bendy handrails!), which is one of the very few other pieces that have been produced as all-new designs in recent years. It does make a lot of my other locos (including the Tm2/2 tractor, as you mentioned) look quite crude in comparison, which is what I meant in the review about the KoF looking much more of a scale model.
I do think that this new detailed style looks great, but it has probably sacrificed a little of LGB's traditional strength and resilience to damage. While there are stories of old LGB locos being dropped from considerable heights with minimal damage, I wouldn't want to try it with this one - this isn't really a loco to let the little kiddies loose on, it feels like it's strong enough for normal sensible handling but should also be treated with respect.
As to the motor block, without going out into the storage shed and checking on any other locos, I'm not sure if the design has been used before or not. The wheelbase and skate location looks similar to those on the RHB Tractors (I don't have a Ge4/4 so can't comment on that one), it may be the same unit, though at the very least it has a newly-moulded baseplate on the block carrying an embossed "LGB" logo, "Made in China" and the Euro CE and safe disposal ("crossed out wheelie bin") marks. It still has the round gold QC check sticker, though this now has 7 digits rather than the old 6 (it reads "0028810"). Interestingly it does NOT carry the silver "D" MTS sticker.

Jon.

Jon,

not sure about the detail level being on par to Aster, Magnus etc, those pictures above show even more detail you even have rivet detail on the little lightning bolt plate, hinge and latch detail on the lights, it?s a shame on the colours being slightly off you can see it much more on your close-up shots.

Are you planning to add sound, would be interested to see the space internally?

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
wow a fantastic review - i will be looking out for one,great pictures after that - also i wish i could write like that regards Dave

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
wandgrudd said:
Jon,

not sure about the detail level being on par to Aster, Magnus etc, those pictures above show even more detail you even have rivet detail on the little lightning bolt plate, hinge and latch detail on the lights, it?s a shame on the colours being slightly off you can see it much more on your close-up shots.

Are you planning to add sound, would be interested to see the space internally?

Yes, the more I look at it the more little details I spot! As to the colour, that's what I meant about it being more obvious in certain lighting conditions - the two closeup shots today were taken in my office under quite harsh fluorescent lighting, which makes the main paintwork look much more yellow but also highlights the difference in tone on the detail parts. Yesterday's pics were taken in daylight in the conservatory, resulting in a much more genuine colour repro and making the differences a little less obvious. That's why I really don't think it will be noticeable to any but the most picky folks, once it's running round the garden. I ALMOST wish I had the nerve to lightly weather it, I think it could look great, but I'm not that brave! ;)

Re: sound - yes, as I mentioned in the review I'm planning to put an S module in it - just waiting to see if Jeremy gets any more of them in with his next Massoth order, if he doesn't then I've got a spare uninstalled one here anyway that I might send off to him for reprogramming (it's got different sounds on it at the moment, because I've been planning to put it in something else - but the KoF is so nice that I think it may get done first!).
I haven't yet opened it up to see what room there is inside - I suspect it may not be a huge amount, given that the engine hood is quite narrow, but an S module is pretty small and there should be room to squeeze it in somewhere. I'm assuming that the speaker will probably fit behind the radiator grille like it does on a 2092, using one of the Massoth 40mm square ones.

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
So - how big is it. Being based on a standard gauge unit. I have yet to see one with stock.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whizzo said:
wow a fantastic review - i will be looking out for one,great pictures after that - also i wish i could write like that regards Dave

Hehe! Thanks for the kind comments, Dave, writing is a part of my work but I do enjoy doing this sort of stuff.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
So - how big is it. Being based on a standard gauge unit. I have yet to see one with stock.

OK, here you go - pics with HSB coach (with Pola/Prieser figures directing shunting operations!), standard LGB small box van and a couple of tank cars. With the KoF having such a very low cab, it actually looks quite tiny against some of the stock - the exact opposite of the Harzkamel!

5e6a18b375154a779551f01109cdc7c5.jpg

9039f34efc9e4b4f88fd86042e36ecd8.jpg

6f8e1ce502274e1c88d58fb5722a6984.jpg

5e554155186d471eb0912f75be95a369.jpg

58c1f52e7edb4cb79be884b42fd27399.jpg

80f30d0d7cf345bc8b24f97538d0c02c.jpg

4ed2537503714cd2baa2341d5ad2374d.jpg

Hope these pics are helpful.

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
OK, here you go - pics with HSB coach (with Pola/Prieser figures directing shunting operations!), standard LGB small box van and a couple of tank cars. With the KoF having such a very low cab, it actually looks quite tiny against some of the stock - the exact opposite of the Harzkamel!

Yep - that looks exactly how I remember the diddy standard gauge shunters in Hamburg about 25 years ago. It looked like the standard gauge coaching stock would squash them, but the locos merrily pushed them to and fro.

Now then: who can produce the first side-by-side Kof/Harzkamel photo? May need a fisheye lens.... :D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Zerogee said:

Yep - that looks exactly how I remember the diddy standard gauge shunters in Hamburg about 25 years ago. It looked like the standard gauge coaching stock would squash them, but the locos merrily pushed them to and fro.

Now then: who can produce the first side-by-side Kof/Harzkamel photo? May need a fisheye lens.... :D

If someone would like to send me a Harzkamel, I promise to take a picture...... ;)

Jon.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
If someone would like to send me a Harzkamel, I promise to take a picture...... ;)

Jon.
I've got a better idea, you send me your Kof

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
dutchelm said:
Zerogee said:

Jon.
I've got a better idea, you send me your Kof

Nice try Mike, but I asked first! :rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, on a serious note for a moment, I KNEW I'd already seen a pic of the KoF and the Kamel together - DR posted one a few days ago on my other thread about the KoF, the pic is here:

http://www.dbig.de/_transport/LGB 21930-1.JPG Jon.