The KoF has landed! (Long, rambling review....)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I mentioned in an earlier thread that my new LGB HSB KoF II had arrived today from Dragon G-Scale, and promised a longer review with some pictures; so, here it is. After some of the comments and warnings made on earlier threads about the questionable quality of some new Marklin/LGB products, I opened the box with some trepidation - I'd asked Jeremy to open it and track-test it before dispatch to me, which he had kindly done, so I knew it would be working OK - but I wasn't sure what I'd be getting in terms of paintwork, details etc.
Well, I needn't have worried - in my opinion, this loco is well up to standard - in fact in some ways I'd even say it is superior to some older pre-Marklin LGB, more on that below.

Price and Packaging etc:

At a bit over 300 quid, this isn't cheap; it's also not a big loco (it is, after all, a little switching unit). However it is about average for LGB's recent pricing, so it really depends how you feel about that - you'll either think "****, I'm not paying that for a shunter!" or you'll just grit your teeth and hand over your card number. It IS MTS-chipped, of course, so you haven't got that expense if you run digitally. In the end, only you can decide whether it is worth it to you - value is subjective depending on how much you want something!

The Big Red Box looks just the same as ever - someone said they were now skimping on the cardboard thickness, but this seems fine to me. Usual foam sleeve, a VERY tight fit in the card outer, loco snugly held inside the foam with a polythene wrap around it, mine survived the predations of Interlink couriers without any problems. Interestingly, the box does NOT say "made in China", or anywhere else for that matter, though this is clearly embossed on the underside of the loco itself.

Appearance and Paintwork:

First think to strike me is that this is an ORANGE loco. Very, very orange. Like a Jaffa. From the photos and videos I'd seen online, I'd expected the colour to be a more yellowish-orange, but it's actually a very orangey orange. I like it. Overall the paint quality seems OK, not at all shiny or toy-like, a nice matt-ish finish with just the slightest satiny sheen in some lights. My only quibble with the paint would be that some of the add-on detail parts (the twin air tanks on the hood, the three front lights etc) do seem to be a VERY slightly different shade of colour (probably the same paint, but sprayed over a different underlying colour) - this appears to be more obvious under some types of lighting than others. I don't find it that much of a problem, in fact in some ways I almost think it makes the loco look a little bit more realistic and less like a toy sprayed up all in one go, but if you're really picky about such things you might worry about it. Once the loco is running round the garden I very much doubt that anyone is really going to notice unless it's pointed out to them!
Markings are all crisp and cleanly applied, well up to usual (old) LGB standards. The window frames are all nicely finished with black trims. Chassis, footplate, buffers and couplings are the usual unpainted black plastic; it may be a slightly less robust grade of plastic than we were used to with old LGB, I'm not sure - but provided you don't throw your locos around I don't see it being a problem.
The overall construction feels good and solid, it doesn't feel like bits are going to break or drop off when I pick it up. In many ways I'd say it looks much more like a scale model (and less like a toy) than many older LGB items I have. 8/10 for overall appearance, would have been 9/10 if they'd exactly matched the paint colours on the detail parts.

Detail parts:

The handrails are very nice - all the black handrails and handles (that is, everything except the long orange ones along the hood) are actually metal, a big improvement on the flexy plastic ones that LGB used to use (and the fragile-looking rigid plastic ones that Piko put on theirs). The aforementioned long orange handrails along the hood top, while plastic, are not bendy ones like those on my LGB Class 2092 OBB shunter. Apart from the slight colour problem mentioned above, all the other plastic add-on details (the air tanks and their associated piping, lights, steps, windscreen wipers etc) are all nicely done, crisply moulded and appear to be firmly fixed.

The one rather odd exception is the prominent filter assembly at the front of the hood on the left side of the loco. As some folks have mentioned already, and can be seen in some of the photos, it appears to sit at an angle with its top leaning in towards the hood. Looking very carefully at mine (and taking it off - it unclips very easily) I have discovered what the problem is! The filter assembly is in two parts, the top bit (with the mounting clips) and the domed lower "bowl" of the filter, which is a push fit to the upper part. Now, the lower bowl actually has a small dimpled depression in one side, which is supposed to line up with a round nub on the mounting clip - the nub fits into the dimple (oo-er, missus!) and ensures that the bowl has been fitted the right way round. Except that on mine it hadn't - the bowl was pushed on the wrong way round so that instead of seating in the dimple, the nub actually pushed the mounting clip out of line - hence the filter sitting at the odd angle! This is quite easily fixed I think - turning the bowl round to the right location should help, though for a more definite solution I'm actually tempted to cut the lower part of the clip off mine altogether, and simply superglue the filter in place at the right angle. OK, yes, this is sloppy assembly work by the factory and shouldn't happen - especially on a £300+ model - but it certainly wouldn't stop me buying one.......

Running and operation:

Not much to report here, because all I've done so far is to put it on my test track and check that everything works. The lights come on, and it trundles forwards and backwards smoothly enough for a loco that has not yet been run-in. The only nitpick I could find is that the skates are a little bit stiff at the moment, not springing back into position quite as easily as you'd expect - nothing that a bit of running won't loosen up, I reckon. Later I'll have to leave it on the test rollers for half an hour or so and get everything nicely bedded in. Mine doesn't have sound as yet, but a Massoth S module with the relevant HSB KoF sounds will be procured and fitted in due course.

So, overall? Am I pleased I got one? Definitely yes. It looks very nice, suitably chunky and ugly/pretty just as it should, details are finer and less toy-like than some other LGB I have. The finish is very good in the main, with the caveats above about the paint colours, but that's being quite nit-picky. The acid test of anything bought unseen by mail-order is to ask yourself if you would still have bought it if you'd seen and examined it in the shop first - and in this case I can say that I certainly would have.

Is it good value? Well, that's very subjective and depends on whether you consider LGB to be good value in general. Against other LGB items, I'd say that yes, it is. As an example of post-Marklin-takeover LGB, it's an interesting example; while a few things have undoubtedly slipped a bit (I think there is little doubt that Chinese assembly work is not really up the Nurnburg standards) there are other things that I would say are actually BETTER than old pre-Marklin LGB. In the end, yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. If you can afford one, I don't think you'll regret it.

Jon.

PICS TO FOLLOW LATER!

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Thanks for the review. Sounds good.

Do you mind I link this at my website (see below)?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A really excellent, thorough and comprehensive review Jon? :clap:

Now let's see it running mate.... :impatient:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
menny thanks, minds at rest now

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. Nice to see LGB seem to be back on track. Trouble is, now I need to find £300.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:
Thanks for the review. Sounds good.

Do you mind I link this at my website (see below)?

No problem, feel free to link it (and the pictures that I post later, if you want to).

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Here's the promised pics, provided the links work! Fingers crossed, and click the button.....

b85b1d6456684220aee718eb46777e64.jpg

86b932677aca48f69c88bd568028bc6c.jpg

f96dc7ef04a84e79b1499a276014a8e0.jpg

e7139808310d4bcf8f111b7202a51096.jpg

bf86e76ab9dd45efb981ee47d1990e54.jpg

87458f1e1f2d4bc78a8c28946c4e4ba2.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention in the review was the instruction booklet - this is one BIG difference from the old LGB types, instead of a nice little well-presented booklet it is now a rather limp little thing with only two pages in each of four languages, plus a couple of rather sketchy-looking diagrams. I know this isn't really important, but somehow it just looks/feels cheap, more like the sort of thing you'd expect in a Bachmann or Piko loco than an LGB one. The only plus point about it is that it does have a rather basic but nevertheless useful exploded diagram of the loco, something that LGB instruction manuals haven't had for many years.

Thanks for the kind comments on the review so far!

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yay! The pics worked!

Just wanted to say that the colour of the loco shown here is pretty accurate - looking at the pics on screen and the actual model sitting here on my desk (no, the KoF, not THAT kind of model.....) the shade of orange looks pretty much spot-on.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Incidentally, if anyone is at all interested, I'd been meaning to do a quick write-up on the test bench setup that you can see in the photos here - I knocked it together the other weekend, using a 4-foot long contiboard shelf from Homebase, some spare LGB track, a basic Piko 1-amp throttle and transformer, and a plastic project box and DPDT toggle switch from Maplins. I can put my Massoth rolling road setup on either track as required for continous test running, and the rear track at 48" long is just enough to actually move a loco backwards and forward. The rear track is switched via the toggle to either analogue power via the 1-amp controller on the board, or to full digital control via the Dimax; the shorter front track is connected to the programming output of the Dimax only. The whole thing can be moved around quite easily, and I can take it into my office when I need to connect it to my computer via the SPROG for easier full programming access. Building it was, I think, a Sunday afternoon well spent - it's already proved very useful and versatile.

Jon.

spurs123

led zep spurs lgb
24 Oct 2009
st albans
Best answers
Jon , what a great review (can't wait for mine ) if this is a sign of things to come the crdit card might have to take a bashing :D divorce no. 3 could be on the cards

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
spurs123 said:
Jon , what a great review (can't wait for mine ) if this is a sign of things to come the crdit card might have to take a bashing :D divorce no. 3 could be on the cards

Thanks, and I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. Best keep that card statement well hidden...... ;)

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Excellent review. Balanced and highly informative. Thanks very much! :clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for sharing these - it looks a brighter orange than I used on my repainted Liliput diesel shunter! I do like it though - and look forward to seeing some photos of people using them in anger (so to speak) :)

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Price and Packaging etc:

At a bit over 300 quid, this isn't cheap; it's also not a big loco (it is, after all, a little switching unit). However it is about average for LGB's recent pricing, so it really depends how you feel about that - you'll either think "****, I'm not paying that for a shunter!" or you'll just grit your teeth and hand over your card number. It IS MTS-chipped, of course, so you haven't got that expense if you run digitally. In the end, only you can decide whether it is worth it to you - value is subjective depending on how much you want something!

The Big Red Box looks just the same as ever - someone said they were now skimping on the cardboard thickness, but this seems fine to me. Usual foam sleeve, a VERY tight fit in the card outer, loco snugly held inside the foam with a polythene wrap around it, mine survived the predations of Interlink couriers without any problems. Interestingly, the box does NOT say "made in China", or anywhere else for that matter, though this is clearly embossed on the underside of the loco itself.

Glad you locos arrived fine, any pictures with other stock to see size comparison.

Note re the box depending what box you have its most certainly not the same big red box for all the items.
the 3 part boxes (outer red card and upper and lower polystyrene) are different the reds a completely different shade to the old lgb boxes but that could be caused by the card now being brown and thinner not white to the inside as before. The polystyrene isn?t as strong on the set boxes you can easily crumble it in your hand didn?t you to be able to so something?s changed.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Zerogee said:
Here's the promised pics, provided the links work! Fingers crossed, and click the button.....
cab183690444481d8958e28bb440502c.jpg

Jon.

Hey look his dimax came with 5-1 suround sound not seen that version listed :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
Zerogee said:
images

Jon.

Hey look his dimax came with 5-1 suround sound not seen that version listed :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep, makes the locos sound AWESOME!!!!! ;)

Actually that's for the home cinema setup in the conservatory, screen rolls down over that window, Epson digital projector on the other side of the room - it came with the house and we've hardly ever used it.....

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
wandgrudd said:
Zerogee said:

Glad you locos arrived fine, any pictures with other stock to see size comparison.

Note re the box depending what box you have its most certainly not the same big red box for all the items.
the 3 part boxes (outer red card and upper and lower polystyrene) are different the reds a completely different shade to the old lgb boxes but that could be caused by the card now being brown and thinner not white to the inside as before. The polystyrene isn?t as strong on the set boxes you can easily crumble it in your hand didn?t you to be able to so something?s changed.

The box for the KoF is a traditional LGB 3-part (sleeve plus upper and lower polystyrene), and the card is actually still white inside. To me, the red looks pretty much the same as all the other LGB I've bought that has been made in the last ten years or so. It does bear the Marklin factory address and contact details (so it's not simply old LGB stock being used up), and a "www.lgb.de" website address on a little red sticker separately applied to the box.
Mind you, as I've got probably half-a-dozen different LGB box styles and types from through the years, everything from yellow boxes onwards (not got hold of anything old enough to have a grey box yet!), I'm not sure it really matters. The important thing is that it still feels substantial enough to protect the contents both during shipping and for subsequent storage.

Jon.