The EG&SNNRly

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Yibba, Dabba, dooooo!! This time last night I did not expect to get track-powered trains running on the spirals until later this week but after cleaning the track, tightening all the track joiner screws (of which there are a lot :eek:) and nailing down a couple of sections of track today track power was returned to the spirals.

The V100 was given the honour of taking the first train up and down the spirals:

RepairWorksPhase2-38.jpg

RepairWorksPhase2-39.jpg

RepairWorksPhase2-40.jpg

RepairWorksPhase2-41.jpg

As John (Tawa) has noted, clearances in the Covered Bridge are tight .... but just sufficient clearance to let trains through:

RepairWorksPhase2-42.jpg

Despite getting track power restored today, the rest of the week will be spent laying in some additional track feeds and relaying track in a couple of places and once that has been done Phase 3 will commence.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Phase 3 will repair some storm damage and restore track power to the mountain section of the EG&SNNR:

RepairWorksPhase3-01.jpg

Storm damage broke the back of the bridge (top left hand on the previous picture) and for the last 18 months or so there has been a yawning gap:

RepairWorksPhase3-02.jpg

The bridge has been moved indoors awaiting attention. Looking at it, it seems as though it is repairable. Just hope it is!!

RepairWorksPhase3-03.jpg

The mountain section will be a separate dcc power district. Am keeping my fingers crossed that my older Massoth central station will talk to my newer booster (one of the last models with built-in transformer) once it gets wired into the system....

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
That is some impressive railway, that main view of the garden is impressive....and the grass so neat. Great!!
Kev

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, impressive indeed. Neatly groomed yard I might add. Beautiful setting for watching and running trains.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant progress Keith. Most impressive.
Busy right now, but must pop over sometime soon.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Since my last posting and, despite the monsoon rains we`ve been experiencing, some serious work has been done on the EG&SNNR resulting to the entire main line being reopened late last week.

First set of works involved the return of the Blue Bridge but before this could be done the adjacent mountainside retaining walls had to refaced:

RepairWorksPhase3-05.jpg

which, when finished, looked like this:

RepairWorksPhase3-07.jpg

Whilst the cement on the mountainside was drying out the broken bridge was repaired with the help of some superglue and returned to its rightful place:

RepairWorksPhase3-08.jpg

After that the tunnel on the other side of the mountain needed to be sorted out. Details follow:

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
The next job to sort out was the tunnel and track running over it on the other side of the mountain. This is what it looked like in the beginning:

RepairWorksPhase3-61.jpg

and once tidying-up work commenced it looked like this:

RepairWorksPhase3-62.jpg

.....and after the track was relayed it looked like this:

RepairWorksPhase3-63.jpg

The only part of the Big Mountain that now needs to be tidied up is the waterfall area but have decided that this will be a project for next year. In the meantime trains will cross the temporary bridge:

Attachments

• RepairWorksPhase3-51.jpg
    RepairWorksPhase3-51.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 31

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
...... and now that the trackwork has been completed (more or less!!) needed to run some trains.

HSB-2-10-2T-06.jpg

EG&SNNR-02.jpg

Think an HSB running day is called for.......

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
..... finally the title of `The Ever Growing and Still No Name Railway` is official:

EG&SNNR-01.jpg

The two locos posing over the tunnel have a special importance. The 2-6-2T was the first Harz loco that was purchased for the EG&SNNR whilst the Mallet 0-4-4-0T was the most recently Harz purchased loco. Other locos have been purchased in the meantime.........

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Love the Blue Bridge, . . . . but won't the bricks get in the way of the trains! ;) :happy:

Nice work Keith!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Great progress - must get over sometime soon. I still have your Rotkamel here!

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Alan,

I'm well pleased at what has been done. Still got one or two minor power supply problems but working on them at the moment.

HSB coaches ready and waiting for the Rotkamel :).

Also planning on giving Pfiffi and Pheffi a run together with the black mallets. Found I have plenty of HSB coaches but bit short on HSB red baggage/guards vans.

Been taking a few pictures recently so will post some on here later. Look forward to seeing you soon.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just been catching up with developments. Great to see the whole railway back up and running. Some serious civil engineering there; impressive! Would love to see some video of trains negotiating the mountain sections.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Keith,
Looks like you have a serious bit of the Harz thing going there. No name?
JonD

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Awesome,really awesome
Kev

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
A top quality line and build Keith.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Some recent pics taken on the EG&SNNR:

HSBx3-02.jpg

HSB-5906-01.jpg

HSB-6102-01.jpg

...and as its a nice warm sunny day:

HSB-OpenTruck-01.jpg

...and to show that it is not just the HSB and RhB that are normally seen on the EG&SNNR:

RuKB-53-01.jpg

RuKB-53-02.jpg

RuKB-53-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent.
It would be good to see more of your loco roster Keith. I'm sure you have many superb examples.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
... one for starters Paul..

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-01.jpg

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-05.jpg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed ! Plenty of action going on there.