The EG&SNNRly

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The EG&SNN Railway has been seen here before but has been dormant for a while whilst an extension to the house was built.
This line is owned by Keith, known here as KentKeith. I am starting this picture log of his line whilst he sorts out picture posting and gets the line up and running again.

Keith, and the newly extended house behind him.
DSC06268 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of older pictures showing the line before its closure for building works. I am sure many will remember these spirals.
DSC00147 (Small).JPG
DSC00155 (Small).JPG
DSC00165 (Small).JPG
DSC00169 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
DSC00973 (Small).JPG
DSC00992 (Small).JPG
DSC00997 (Small).JPG
DSC01005 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
But coming back to date. First up was a battery powered Caledonia.

DSC06248 (Small).JPG
DSC06254 (Small).JPG
DSC06264 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You may wonder what the EG&SNN Rly stands for. Keith has been building and expanding this, on and off, for quite a while. Its the

`Ever Growing and Still No Name Railway`.

A couple more pics.

Keiths TEE with Massoth sound - Excellent.

DSC06284 (Small).JPG

My Heidi having a trip out to a more mountainous line!

DSC06282 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
We have replaced Keiths two sheds with a much larger one, built to a very high standard of insulation and security.
The new rail access under construction.
DSC06250 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
just run in to the shed.
A truly magic train.
DSC06281 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A lot of time and effort has gone in to re instating the line. Electrical continuity took a little while to re-establish reliably.
my 4 wheeler approved.
DSC06294 (Small).JPG
DSC06295 (Small).JPG

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Great to see services resuming, always enjoyed photo's of Keith's railway :)

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Several bridges have been replaced. they were old planks or failing plastic. the new ones, based on the Trainline metal jobbies, look great.

DSC06289 (Small).JPG

DSC06247 (Small).JPG

DSC06255 (Small).JPG

DSC06266 (Small).JPG

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks Alan for posting the pics. Must admit that I found it difficult placing a couple of the archive pics as there have been so many changes in the garden during the last few years ::).

Based on the problems experienced on Friday, this weeks project is to sort out the run-in to the new shed probably removing all the woodwork and replacing it with celcon bricks keeping the track level until after the point leading to the shed.

Once again, Alan, many thanks for your help and assistance over the last few weeks especially as you did manage to get me back running trains ;)!!

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'll be back shortly to inspect! ;)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Great work guys....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
looking good allan and keith

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Still trying to work out how to process my pics on Microsoft 8.1 so still using my old pc with Windows XP saving the pics to a USB Flash Drive. Just hope it works......

Just some pics to try things out. Firstly, the RhB Allegra has been on running in turns:

RhBAllegra-02.jpg

Meanwhile the Piko TEE Diesel Unit has gained another car since the previous posting:

DB-TEE-Diesel-01.jpg

and, finally for the moment, the Piko BR24 was spotted hiding in the shade:

DB-BR24-01.jpg

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Right, looks like I`ve sussed it so now time to bore you with some more pictures........

As Stockers has mentioned above he has built me a nice big shed at the end of the garden - after he had demolished the two old shed and we had removed the remains. At the time I drew up the specifications for the new shed I thought about having a run-in from the main line but did not mention it to Alan as was not sure that it would be feasible. One day we having our morning cuppa and Alan asked if I had thought about a run-in..... and that was that, a run-in would be provided.

So whilst Alan was building the shed I started building the run-in which bit time consuming working out the inclines to get the run-in up to the level of the track in the shed. After a couple of days it looked like this:

ShedRun-In-01.jpg

.....and couple of days later the first attempt was completed:

ShedRun-In-02.jpg

Basically it was ok but not perfect. Main problem was that the wooden viaduct leading to the run in was on a falling gradient but as soon as the run-in started the track was on a rising gradient into the shed which as causing problems with some rolling stock. The wooden viaduct got removed:

ShedRun-In-04.jpg

and replaced by celcon blocks making the track level on the curve:

ShedRun-In-05.jpg

Having replaced the curved part of the wooden viaduct then decided to replace the rest of the wooden viaduct on the mainline:

ShedRun-In-06.jpg

Once that was done it was time to do some testing.... and what better loco to do the testing..... the Harz 2-10-2T!!

HSB-2-10-2T-01.jpg

Gingerly the 2-10-2T approached the run in:

ShedRun-In-08.jpg

.....and safely negotiated the pointwork without anything derailing:

ShedRun-In-07.jpg

....and disappeared into the shed:

ShedRun-In-08.jpg

ShedRun-In-09.jpg

Only thing to sort out now is some walling around the trackwork on the mainline and run-in as I don`t fancy something like the 2-10-2T taking a topple off the track. Speed restrictions are in place.

Once that`s been done work can start on returning the rest of the EG&SNNR to a working railway. There`s quite a bit to do!!

Attachments

• ShedRun-In-03.jpg
    ShedRun-In-03.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 18

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
oops, got some of the pics in the wrong order but think you can work out whats happened.........

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
For those new to the EG&SNNR its a railway that has taken over the garden. Building started around 2003 (following a visit to Tim at Arcadia) but stopped when Mum developed dementia and I became her carer.

The railway is one big roundy roundy with an outer track circling the entire garden. Branching off the outer track are two distinct mountain sections. First to be developed was an elongated figure of eight which, believe it or not circled a couple of flower beds.

RepairWorks-01.jpg

The later development took up more space on the other side of the garden and includes a climb up and around "Big Mountain" situated in the middle of the garden. The mountain was built using the foundations that were dug for the extension put on the back of my house.

RepairWorks-02.jpg

At the moment only the outer circuit is in use as the mountain sections suffered from storm damage a couple of years ago. As you can see here one of the big bridges got blown out:

RepairWorks-03.jpg

Once I`ve finished tidying up the garden the plan is to first bring back the elongated figure of eight into service and once that has been done I`ll move onto the Big Mountain. Should keep me busy well into the Autumn.......

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst busy pulling up more weeds today (and what size weeds they were!!) the OBB Jaffa Whizzy Cranks was providing the train service and was first sighted climbing Romney Rise (so named because all the rocks used for the embankment came from the Romney Marsh Engineering Society). If Stockers looks carefully he see that I have finally followed his advice and laid in an extra track feed ;) :) - previously trains were struggling on the incline:

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-01.jpg

....and soon seen running down the other side of the incline:

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-02.jpg

Having reached the end of the garden the train has to climb up a steep gradient to reach what was ground level along the back wall. It does look quite steep .... and is where I started using my "half-a-bubble" for all future up gradients:

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-03.jpg

.....and now for the least scenic part of the railway - descending from the run-in to the shed. The gradient is quite steep (more than "half-a-bubble" :eek: ;) ) which I need to smooth out a bit:

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-04.jpg

..... and finally back onto the original track that was laid during the second year of the railway:

OBB-JaffaWhizzyCranks-05.jpg

Have still got quite a few weeds to get rid off in the garden so plan on getting out some of the trains that not have run for a few years to keep me company whilst weeding ;)