The CBR Line is Born..

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure exactly, but they should pass the 4 ft rule?

16mm and G scale are 1 to 19 and 1 to 22.5, so most accessories will work with both scales....

My problem is what I do for a living, I know if it looks correct it is correct, but being a 3D Designer / animator means my eyes don't let some things go they should do :D but at least I have learned how to cheat if the information is not available..

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I take it you added the LED to a Playmobil lamp post, as the catalogue image shows no bulb. Worth investigating, I think.

Yes, I did for the review. There is someone on eBay selling them with an LED for about £6 more than the Playmobil price.

The lamp is a re-issue of a lamp they made in the early 1990s which did come with a bulb.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have some ?older? Playmobil street lamps, which take a AAA battery in the lower section.. These look to be taller?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The lamp is approx 18.5 cm (7 and one eight inches) tall.

The stem will take an AA or a AAA battery.

The original lamp took a small bulb and there were the necessary connections inside the lamp shaft and a connector on the base plate for the bulb to be turned on and off by twisting the base plate.

With the new lamp, no doubt something could be made up to achieve the same result or the wires simply run out of the base and into a circuit connected to a power source elsewhere. For example, you could have, say, four lamps on a platform with the wiring of each going into the space below the platform where there was a battery.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 'problem' with all these lamps, is they are like a 'candle'.. The light is at the bottom, rather than the top. - I know why, cost..

But the lamp *should* be in the top of the lantern really..

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
After looking at Street Lamps I like the Look of the Roundhouse LA3 lamps very British looking and four sides to the top, Bush lamps for some reason look continental to me might be the shape of the base, Playmobil lamps tops are four sided and cheap enough to cut and carve into a British looking Lamp I hope so ordered two of them to have a play with, finally found if you don't add a date of birth the Playmobil site it will accept your order :) and you get a free Pirate DVD :rofl:

This week Brickies have been back in and sorted out the missing rear foundation, some of the rear platform wall will be below the gravel line, but don't know how much until I install the station.

Roofers been working away...but under estimated the amount of materials needed to tile all three roofs :wasntme: Lots of painting done as it finally stopped raining for the weekend.

train 05-02-17.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Lamps arrived from Playmobil today :) at 3.80 vs 15.00 guess which ones I am going for, just need to find some finials to add to the top and a re-spay and they
should look like British lights, they look a bit chunky but strong compared to the LGB ones that feels like it will break picking it up. They should be squirrel / bird proof, you could cut the top off just below the cross bars and fit it too a slimmer brass tube to slim it down, might try both ways once I have ordered some more before they sell out..

Must find the pound sign that windows 10 keeping deleting from my keyboard o_O

Lamp posts.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
And at £4.75 each a good deal cheaper. (They were £4 when first introduced, but the falling £ has had an effect.)

If anyone is thinking of ordering some, yes it is a good price, but be aware that these are sold WITHOUT BULBS OR WIRING - for that price you just get the plastic lamp-post as illustrated, but you have to put your own bulbs and bulbholders (or LEDs) into them. Playmobil do (or certainly did) a self-contained illuminated version with a single AA battery in the lower part of the post, but they were significantly more expensive and this link is not that type!

Jon.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
If anyone is thinking of ordering some, yes it is a good price, but be aware that these are sold WITHOUT BULBS OR WIRING - for that price you just get the plastic lamp-post as illustrated, but you have to put your own bulbs and bulbholders (or LEDs) into them. Playmobil do (or certainly did) a self-contained illuminated version with a single AA battery in the lower part of the post, but they were significantly more expensive and this link is not that type!

Jon.

The 3.80 is with a discount code so they are 4.75 and you are quite correct they come with no LED or wiring so you do have to sort out the electrics yourself.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Playmobil lamp posts look like they'll stand up very well outdoors. I had a bunch of the LGB type at one time, but they are a bit on the delicate side to be outside all year. And then the errant foot, once in awhile, doesn't help their longevity either.....:mad:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.

Please see post #84

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
My converted Lamp Post using brass tube, might shorten the base tube a bit more yet as it would probably look better around waist height to the Man. Also might shorten the overall height a bit as they are 4m tall to scale, not decided what color to paint them yet, but they won't be Green.

Lamp post-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
At last a Dry Saturday so time to start installing platforms , changed one set of points around to the opposite hand to remove an S bend in my tracks, Laid the tracks between the Island platform at the new centers so I have 140mm Loading gauge so trains are only around 10mm off the edge of the platform. Tracks and Island platform all screwed down to hard wood battens below the gravel and Alpin grit, so if one moves they all move together so the loading gauge won't change Two Playmobil lamps installed and wired up, I did shorten the base a bit more and the overall height a little bit, now they look about right height to a G scale model person.:) Outer platform where the building sits not installed yet just laid out to make sure it fits, it needs the two half's joining together then it can be installed. Station name board benches etc. etc. still to add to the island platform..

Train 18-02-2017-3.jpg

One problem with changing the points around is my line side shed is now on the opposite side of the track to what it was designed for so I no longer see the door, window or light at night, from the garden side , unless I install the building the wrong way round in theory ? with it's window facing away from the track instead of towards the track.

Train 18-02-2017-2.jpg

Building at the moment only has the light added to it, and the points have a manual lever on them. The building removes from it's base so it will house the point motor and wiring inside the building with a rod coming through the wall to the points, water proof and hides the big point motor. Didn't add the motor yet as now I have gone DCC will need to re-think the controls for point's etc.

Train 18-02-2017.jpg

Now they are out will see if they weather on their own, which I assume they will do which is why I didn't weather them while painting.

Reactions: 4 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That's an excellent Saturday's work and looks the part, especially the buildings and platforms.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Point motor can install on either side of the point, so you could '180' the building to the other side of the track if you like??

Looks excellent, by the way. :clap::clap::clap:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Point motor can install on either side of the point, so you could '180' the building to the other side of the track if you like??

Looks excellent, by the way. :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks the building is attached to the points with an L shaped base that picks up the locations where the point motor screws on to the track, It was built to go on the straight side of the points, I tried it the other way round but the corner of the building is too near the curve when it's attached, the base is the wrong hand now, I could make a new base the opposite hand I suppose so it fits on the other side and the trains would clear the building corner then

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
All looking really good, Sid!

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..