The CBR Line is Born..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rather than fiddle too much with the actual speed-curves..
Try the 'inertia' settings for acceleration and deceleration.. Just don't be too enthusiastic with delay on deceleration.. You DO want to be able to stop quite quickly, if you have to!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One day it will get British looking trains and wagons but probably not yet of a bit ...I need a longer line first they come back round to quick :D

Don't run them so fast then!
;):p:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Rather than fiddle too much with the actual speed-curves..
Try the 'inertia' settings for acceleration and deceleration.. Just don't be too enthusiastic with delay on deceleration.. You DO want to be able to stop quite quickly, if you have to!

Thanks will try that, Not changed them yet, decided to clean the tracks and add the wire from the house when the Base station is going to live to the tracks and join up some of the feed wires around the track, was going to try them first with a set of carriages to see how they run this afternoon but the rain started so will try tomorrow :)

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Love the buildings Sid , excellant

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Track cleaned with brasso...that was hard work o_O feed wires now feed power to the tracks at three separate places, reset the speed curves on both decoders, used the basic speed settings tab instead and set them so the top speed is lower and changed the acceleration / deceleration speeds thanks PhilP now they will crawl all the way round the track if wanted and don't shoot off like jet propelled rockets. Also found that while I lowered the voltage to the lights I had also lowered the voltage to the Smoke stack, so that sorted and no 3 smokes again

Today was sort of a "rule 8" day or in my case I ran everything I own at the moment..:rofl:

Train 04-02-2017.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso will leave a film on the track - this may slow down tarnishing but i think it will also reduce connectivity.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso will leave a film on the track - this may slow down tarnishing but i think it will also reduce connectivity.

After I used the brasso I cleaned the track with a rag with some smoke fluid on to remove any deposit ? what do you clean tracks with ? first clean since it went down last year so the top of the rails wasn't going to clean with just smoke fluid, and the wife's scouring pads from the kitchen looked too rough :)

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Other than the track cleaning loco, I use a track cleaning block - a slightly abrasive rubber block. A quick rub and the jobs done. Or just run regularly and cleaning becomes much less of an issue. You don't need bright shiny track for a reasonable pick up.

track block.jpg

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
After I used the brasso I cleaned the track with a rag with some smoke fluid on to remove any deposit ? what do you clean tracks with ? first clean since it went down last year so the top of the rails wasn't going to clean with just smoke fluid, and the wife's scouring pads from the kitchen looked too rough :)
The Mk 1 LGB hand track cleaner - and sometimes the Aristo track cleaning caboose.

As Stockers says, if you have locos with skates, you don't need bright shiny track, if you run locos that don;t have skates (like me) then you need to keep the track a it shinier.

I clean with a rag after the cleaning block only if the track is damp, and it's leaving smeary black gunge behind, but in normal, sunny, dry weather, just the cleaning block

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Lgb track cleaning loco.. it really works well.. failing that the best cheap soultion is the lgb trackcleaning block...

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for reply's , I only used Brasso as that was all I had to hand, I wasn't after shiny track :), I don't have enough track yet to warrant a track cleaning Loco yet , and the shopping Police would veto that one :) I cleaned it with what I had as it was obvious I was losing pick up power in a few places and unless I keep the speed up on locos they would stall. It might not have been the easiest way or the correct way of cleaning the track but it has worked for now until I order a LGB track cleaning block. Not obvious probably from my pics of my line but half of it lives in constant shade most of the time and that bit is where the rails seem to oxidize the worst and that's the section I was loosing power on.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If track is damp, or there is 'gunge' of any type on it, then a cloth with a drop of smoke-oil to start with..
Frequent running, especially a loco with skates, helps a great deal.
A LGB track-cleaning block, for the stubborn bits, but do clean off any 'gunge' before you use the block. - You will gum it up, otherwise.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wasted two weeks contemplating how to get into the existing raised border in the middle of the Garden where the Triffid lives and whether it's worth it,at best it is a R2 return loop that would fit in there or a terminus of some sort, so the Triffid gets a stay of execution as it fills the border so it would have to go :)

Train 16-04-2017-2.jpg

So to make up for the lack of progress outside decided to finish the second station so the passengers have some where to travel too from Buxus, hard to sell tickets to passengers if there is no where to travel too :)

Train 16-04-2017.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Wasted two weeks contemplating how to get into the existing raised border in the middle of the Garden where the Triffid lives and whether it's worth it,at best it is a R2 return loop that would fit in there or a terminus of some sort, so the Triffid gets a stay of execution as it fills the border so it would have to go :)

View attachment 221870

So to make up for the lack of progress outside decided to finish the second station so the passengers have some where to travel too from Buxus, hard to sell tickets to passengers if there is no where to travel too :)

View attachment 221871

Another nice build!

and... "Return ticket please" - "Where to?" - "Why, back here of course!".

I know, hat, coat, and door:)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just been browsing back through the thread to see if I could find out how you paint your buildings so the mortar courses don't get clogged up. Can't see it anywhere (sorry if I missed it). Do you use a roller, a sponge, or a brush with a steady hand?

Rik

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just been browsing back through the thread to see if I could find out how you paint your buildings so the mortar courses don't get clogged up. Can't see it anywhere (sorry if I missed it). Do you use a roller, a sponge, or a brush with a steady hand?

Rik

The buildings are sprayed with plastic primer then a couple of coats of white car paint then comes the messy job the bricks are painted using a sponge so the paint only stays on the surface not in the motor joints then the whole thing is sealed with plastic coat spray.

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Alpine plants coming out in flower and Acer in leaf looks a better with plants :) I am sure there was something I am suppose to be doing other than run trains :rofl:

Train 22-04-2017-3.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No. Running trains is fine.:)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Today did some work, finished wiring so DCC feed and lights wires now run out of the house, under the paving slabs and artificial grass into junction boxes and through the wall to feed the tracks and buildings.

Train 23-04-2017-4.jpg

Earlier in the week I asked about reversing loops to get away from two long parallel lines , stockers, made a suggestion so been playing

First after I pass my second station curve one line down the back of the border along the fence between the box bush and round the return and join back to the to the other line which would carry on in a straight line through the center of the Box bush ( some plants will be harmed building this railway ) then plant between or build a viaduct thing so a third line comes down the middle to feed the land grab on the left..odd looking but might work ?

Train 23-04-2017.jpg

Next idea was add the curve earlier and send one track behind the station and one in front just fits probably looks even odder :) again temp loop on the path wouldn't be there that will be behind the shed.

Train 23-04-2017-5.jpg

This station will find I new home in the raised border on the Right of the image if I ever get there :)

Train 23-04-2017-6.jpg

Finally planed escape at the other end of the line so the loop around Buxus station can extend

Train 23-04-2017-15.jpg

Think It's track buying time this week instead of the reversing loop modules, you always need track but not always modules :) I can always go back and remove a line but adding the curve before or after the station cuts the parallel lines down to about half the length before they separate which looks better (less main line looking) just not sure how to build with both tracks in fount of the station or one behind ?

The "S" bend which I know you shouldn't have will get done with larger radius curves I only had R1s to try it out with.

Reactions: 1 users