The CBR Line is Born..

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Got a bit further this week decided a needed a Bridge so bought the LGB one at £18 will probably look better than what I can make for more money, needs a paint job yet. as Ebay puts it won a couple of sets of second hand points at a good price so was able to finished the track for my halt halfway along the single line. Bought a few bits of track I needed new, can not understand why people pay more for secondhand track on eBay than it costs new :)
train 08-10-1.jpg
Bit of an elevation. track supported on a row of bricks and cemented stones in the front to stop the ballast washing away.

train 08-10-4.jpg

My halt , paving slab will get replaced with a station platform when I decide how I am going to do it.

train 08-10-5.jpg
Had to move the track away from the wall edge by 50mm as I couldn't get the two main lines into my main station, drawing everything in Autocad doesn't always work on in real life the same, but now I can get my 50mm strip of artificial grass along the edge to hide wiring under. The wall will get a wooden fascia board along it's top and face to finish it off yet. Playing with different chippings these are sandstone ..dam they are bright but in theory they should turn green looking not made my mind up yet which is better this or gravel

train 08-10-3.jpg

Layout so far, still have some stones to cement in around the split in the track that feeds the bridge to finish that bit. Back to eBay this week to see if I can get another set of LH points at the right price so I can continue the line off the points at the bottom off the pic which gives me the two lines into my main station.Need to finish filling the raised border so I can lay them two first :)

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a Good week for Layout building is seems to have done nothing but Rain all week :rolleyes: but at least it dried up a bit this weekend, got a few Alpine plants added to what has been built so far, still need a lot more also picked up 5 box bushes that will be trained as they grow to look like trees. Built a frame to cast my first station platform so fingers crossed it drys with out too many air bubbles in the sides, I also remembered to run a wire from the edge under the track and up into where the building will go for lights. :D. Its 5mm further back from the track than need be and 5mm shorter so I can make a PVC foam board platform to sit over the top of it if I decide too.

Train 16-10-16-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looking great Sid. LGB is my goto for trains and track as well. I can thank my aunt and late uncle Herman for that influence. I like the grit, I might have to look for something similar here in the states when I reballest next spring. Can't wait to see more progress pics! Mike

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cold dark evenings by the time I finish work means not much achieved outside this week, fingers crossed the sun will shine at the weekend then I can get a bit more track work done. So to fill in time I have been working on my Waiting room for my Halt.

Train 21-10-16-2.jpg

Making separate bits and gluing them on to the base building seemed a good idea at the time, but it's made it a lot harder than need be, next time I will score the brickwork straight onto the 5mm thick base walls. At least my welding glue came this week so I can start and Glue it all together front wall now glued to the building at last only three more walls to make
Train 21-10-16-1.jpg

Sat on it's platform just to get an idea, the lump of concrete will defiantly have to have a fascia and top made for it...it looks like a lump of concrete....

Reactions: 6 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That 's a very smart looking building.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good though.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A dry day today so got some more track laid , got another set of secondhand points this week off Fleabay at the Right price so got my three lines started that will form my Main Station. The two tracks too the Left will have a platform between them and the bit of wood will be replaced with the main platform and station building, then I can have a foot bridge over my line from one platform to the other .

Train 23-10-16-1.jpg

Finished cementing the Rocks around around my dry River bed or what ever it is meant to be LOL added a couple more Alpine Plants, Decided the white looking chippings are going and will be replaced with Gravel, they might go greenish one day but they are just to White...

Train 23-10-16-3.jpg
View from where my Main Station will end, still need to finished infilling the Bed with rubble and build protection around the Acer so the rubble doesn't damage it's trunk as it will be staying. Had a problem getting my rubble from the bottom of the Garden today...got chased off and stung by bees or wasps no idea which they were, but they dam hurt when then sting you. Not sure I am going back for the rest they seem to have made a nest in what I want and are not going to let me have it without a fight ROFL, might have to buy some to finish building the mole differences in the last 12 foot of border.

Train 23-10-16-2.jpg

Attachments

• Train 23-10-16-3.jpg
    Train 23-10-16-3.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 0

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Awesome great thread

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A dry day today so got some more track laid , got another set of secondhand points this week off Fleabay at the Right price so got my three lines started that will form my Main Station. The two tracks too the Left will have a platform between them and the bit of wood will be replaced with the main platform and station building, then I can have a foot bridge over my line from one platform to the other .

View attachment 216078

Finished cementing the Rocks around around my dry River bed or what ever it is meant to be LOL added a couple more Alpine Plants, Decided the white looking chippings are going and will be replaced with Gravel, they might go greenish one day but they are just to White...

View attachment 216079
View from where my Main Station will end, still need to finished infilling the Bed with rubble and build protection around the Acer so the rubble doesn't damage it's trunk as it will be staying. Had a problem getting my rubble from the bottom of the Garden today...got chased off and stung by bees or wasps no idea which they were, but they dam hurt when then sting you. Not sure I am going back for the rest they seem to have made a nest in what I want and are not going to let me have it without a fight ROFL, might have to buy some to finish building the mole differences in the last 12 foot of border.

View attachment 216081
You could try pouring some Milk or Yoghurt onto those White Chipping's, will speed up the greening process.
JonD

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
This weeks update...decided the bees / Wasps can keep the last bit of rubble, not stinging me again so bought enough to finish of the raise bed. Laid out the return curve to see how much track I need to join it all up this end. Added a couple more plants and the last of the Mole defenses :D

Train 30-10-16-1.jpg

Worked on the first station building a bit more, still needs a Chimney pots , Door handle, Glazing, Gutters and downpipe, and a good coat of Matt varnish to seal it all a bit more. Learned a lot making my first building mainly how not to do it :D Next one should be easier.

Train 30-10-16-2.jpg

The reason I didn't get to lay more track this week is because I spent my money on something I didn't need while looking for something I did :giggle: Shame it's not the Green one but it came at the Right price..looks like it has never really been used, now I am going to have to find the other cars that went with it :devil:

Train 30-10-16-3.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
At last got a Dry day and no frost forecast tonight so got my central platform base cast at last, so was able to lay the tracks around it as this week I bought what I needed and not what I didn't :D Return curve started around the Acer tree, at the moment it returns here but one day it can carry on out the back gate and into the Big garden...one day:wondering:

Train 13-11-16-1.jpg

Decided I don't like the looks of the EPL motor with the extra switch attached to it and all it's wires that is going to control my reversing loop, so this weeks idea is to hide it in a line side building, The base when finished will pick up the standard mounting holes in the points to lock it to them the motor will go under the building, just need to think about how to join the two together now, shame I used my last set of spares points outside this weekend o_O If it fails at least I end up with a line side building I can use as it just clips over the base not glued to it.

Train 13-11-16-2.jpg

Fits like this so it hides the EPL motor and wires still needs work chimney, gutters, working linkage etc. apart from a tunnel over the linkage the rest of it is below the points so it will be hidden by the ballast when finished.

Train 13-11-16-3.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Got a bit done this week after a bit of clearing up in the main garden where 40 foot of my willow tree decided to fall on my fence :( Got the last of the track in that feeds from the Bridge to join in to the reversing curve. Took the former of the island station platform and started laying out a former for the next bit but it forecasts frosts tonight, so will have to wait a bit before that one gets concreted in. All the White stone has now gone decided it was just too white , it's all replaced with pea gravel. As somebody suggested I could have coated it with yogurt / milk to help it along in the weathering process but we have two dogs that like to come and look at the railway and they would have shown too much interest in it once they found somebody had covered bits of it in yogurt :)

Train-20-11-5.jpg

Insulated rail joiners came this week so fitted them in my reversing curve ,better than the yellow LGB plastic ones I bought and left in the packet after seeing them.

Close but no Cigar and the Fat Lady is still not singing...I have a gab of 120mm..I was going to cut one of the 1200mm lengths that feeds the bridge so this gap wouldn't be here, but the reversing curve that go's around my Acer tree would be too close so couldn't cut it, need to order a bit of track to fill the hole now.. then The Fat lady can sing... well she can once I add power and wire up the EPL points and switches in the reversing curve

Train-20-11-4.jpg

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Great progress!

Someone on a Dutch G scale forum once sent me a parcel with all loose bits cut straight and curves. It was brilliant to complete my layout without having to cut 'good' track! Wonderful package it was! The pieces were just laying around in his barn.

Got it for postage costs only. Maybe an idea for this forum to share your leftovers with the starters?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I do have 2 spare lengths of 1200mm that go at the other end of my layout, but as you say it's a shame to cut one, knowing my luck if I did I would be 120mm short then at the other end then :) just been searching LGB do a 150mm track, so will have to order one this week to cut to fill the gap, Might have a look on Fleabay later to see if there is one on there.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I do have 2 spare lengths of 1200mm that go at the other end of my layout, but as you say it's a shame to cut one, knowing my luck if I did I would be 120mm short then at the other end then :) just been searching LGB do a 150mm track, so will have to order one this week to cut to fill the gap, Might have a look on Fleabay later to see if there is one on there.

Why not look out for some cheap 300mm straights (or curves) to cut up?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEHMANN-L...968843?hash=item360d3767cb:g:lOwAAOSwnbZYJL8g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-sca...299460?hash=item23774b9d04:g:eJsAAOSwgmJXwxiI

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-11000...124468?hash=item237748f174:g:pQgAAOSwj85YMcTM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aristocra...892626?hash=item4b0b5870d2:g:p44AAOSwHMJYGI5U

I look at the LGB set piece shorts and think they are expensive - but that's me (short arms and deep pocket man)!

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have some rail and sleeper offcuts, which may help you plug the gap.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

Hi, I found a 300mm straight last night on Fleebay to cut to fill the gap, decided the sleepers looked odd on a 150mm length, so went for a 300mm straight

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have some rail and sleeper offcuts, which may help you plug the gap.

Thanks I was too quick in buying a bit last night :( I should have waited a day