zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Any suggestions on which superglue to use for assembling Pola/Piko buildings? I have been using Dap Rapid Fuse but seems to leave a white haze that you can see on darker parts. What about the newer gorilla glue, has anybody tried that stuff. Thanks everyone.

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
Best answers
hi I tried gorllla glue along with other people and just cant get on with it. I brought indusial super glue from tool station great stuff

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
hi I tried gorllla glue along with other people and just cant get on with it. I brought indusial super glue from tool station great stuff

I guess you are going to stick with that.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Any suggestions on which superglue to use for assembling Pola/Piko buildings? I have been using Dap Rapid Fuse but seems to leave a white haze that you can see on darker parts. What about the newer gorilla glue, has anybody tried that stuff. Thanks everyone.
The Pola glue as supplied is best, I have found.

People have suggested that it is a re-badged glue of various makes - personally I dunno, but it works very well on the buildings :clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth looking at the Ruderer L530 plastic adhesive, as sold by Bertram Heyn but also, I've noticed, available via Amazon - claims to be very good for most plastics, including LGB's Luran-S which is known to be a bit of a b*gger to stick. Haven't personally tried it on Pola buildings, but I reckon it would be pretty good?

Jon.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I did repairs on a Pola Station, and found that Lacquer Thinner works well, as the plastic is Styrene. Lacquer Thinner is quite inexpensive too...!!

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Fred isn't laquer thinner pretty thin. I do not know how you could control it from running all over. Also how does it work? Does it melt the parts together?

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
You apply it with a fine brush. It welds the parts together. You don't drown it with the lacquer thinner, and partly use capillary action to get the thinner into the joint. It doesn't ruin the plastic, unless you drown the parts, which is not necessary . It leaves no residue. It cures relatively fast.
You can also use "MEK" which is also a solvent for Styrene. I purchase both in "Quart" cans, at the local Home Depot, or Canadian Tire. Sometimes you need to look for them in the "Auto Body shop supplies section., or the paint department.
Most of the hobby shops sell the same stuff, as liquid plastic cement, in small bottles with a brush, srew on lid...at anywhere up to $4 a bottle (2 oz)… A quart is usually less than $4, in some cases, and lasts a loooooong time. Acetone also can be used.
Another use is for repairing Bachmann plastic parts, even freight and passenger trucks (Bogies)
The least useful is the old tube of Plastic aeroplane glue...avoid it if possible.
DON'T BREATH THE FUMES, OR LIGHT YOUR JOINT NEAR THE STUFF....!!!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using Testors Cement for Plastic Models where there are thick sections to glue and the glue will not be visible. I then follow up with Faller Expert plastic glue (which has a much thinner consistency) on the outside of the joint where capillary action draws the glue into the joint. Sometimes with multiple applications. This does "melt" the pieces together making the glue lines almost invisible. This has been an extremely effective technique for me and produces very strong joints. Many of the Pola building kits I've put together had paint on one or more of the surfaces to be glued. I've found it is essential to make sure to scrape any paint from those surfaces otherwise glues for styrene do not work well.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another one that works very well outside is UHU Power, used it on all sorts of Sticky Solutions in the Garden and never let me down as yet. Got my first 2 tubes at BnQ but never seen it there since. Managed to source some recently in John Lewis Cambridge of all places. Also well worthwhile to seal the inside of the Joints with Silicone Adhesive.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Superglue ? Never. Has no place in this application for a number of reasons. A solvent based adhesive sold to work on styrene/ABS is the best. Of course, nothing will work long term, as suggested above, if you don't do one thing to start with before assembling - remove the "paint wash" weathering effect that is applied to most (if not all) Piko/Pola kits parts at manufacture on any of the surfaces that are to be bonded. Sanding with a medium grade, say 800 grit wet/dry, would be the best to remove this finish. As most surfaces will be flat and need to remain that way for a good bond use a sanding block, not your fingers :)

For an effective long term bond, where the building is to be left out in all climate conditions year round, apply a bead of silicon sealant to the inside (unseen) seams of any structure that have been bonded. Max

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth looking at the Ruderer L530 plastic adhesive, as sold by Bertram Heyn but also, I've noticed, available via Amazon - claims to be very good for most plastics, including LGB's Luran-S which is known to be a bit of a b*gger to stick. Haven't personally tried it on Pola buildings, but I reckon it would be pretty good?

Jon.
I use Ruderer L530 it is very good and as Jon says works on LGB plastic. You can get it on ebay as well. On Pola / Piko buildings the supplied cement works well enough or UHU Allplast is also effective.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So this Ruderer L530, or the UHU Allplast, won't leave a white haze around the area glued, especially clear plastic windows? Thanks all.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I use Model Masters or Testors plastic model glue with works a lot like MEK but a little thicker, melts the plastics together, the only draw back that I have found is it isn't instant like super glue and has to be clamped until dry

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
So this Ruderer L530, or the UHU Allplast, won't leave a white haze around the area glued, especially clear plastic windows? Thanks all.

The white haze is caused as "CAs are prone to blooming or frosting, a cosmetically unappealing phenomenon that manifests itself as a rainbow or whitish haze surrounding the bond line. Blooming occurs when unreacted cyanoacrylate monomers evaporate and become airborne." (I lifted that quote) Solvent glues do not do this. But.........

Be aware that solvent type adhesives used to bond plastics can cause discoloration/opaquing of clear plastic parts and to any finishes applied to them if not applied sparingly. A lot of modellers use a refined very clear drying PVA glue to fix clear plastic parts in place, it's known as "canopy glue". Problem is it will turn white if exposed to moisture and may discolour with prolonged exposure to sunlight.

So, it's very careful application with the Ruderer & Allplast on the clear windows then. Try applying with a cocktail stick or a fine brush if fluid enough. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
On clear plastic for Windows etc, I find double sided sticky tape works well