Suggestions or comments before i start this venture?

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Now got most of the track & buildings, but open to any suggestions on design. Trains will all be RC/ battery. The points will be on servos & lighting via relays all via wi-fi. Thanks.

garden-rail 19-09-2022.JPG

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
How would a typical single service operate on this track layout? It's hard to visualise what the service patterns would be and how many trains run at once just from looking at the diagram.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Something coming off the branch line has no where to go. If the crossover H to K was the opposite way around the train could reverse.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now got most of the track & buildings, but open to any suggestions on design. Trains will all be RC/ battery. The points will be on servos & lighting via relays all via wi-fi. Thanks.

View attachment 304412
My thoughts are that a train leaving the Station area has no way to reverce to get back short of stopping then a run-round of the loco to get to the other end of the train. Layout and size of garden always likely to be a restricting factor but could one of the reverse loops be revised?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 304412
Looks like your drawing was done using Hornby Railmaster! Just FYI I have in the past run my (indoor DCC) G scale layout with Railmaster. The 4 amp limit doesn't affect me.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Having had a large oak in my garden, the track running around them will need a lot of cleaning, even for dead rail. My oak regularly dropped small twigs, lots of them, which are not small to a model loco.

As mentioned earlier, it is hard to understand what your modus operandi is, there seems to be some tail chasing, but also end to end, a brief explanation may assist us in giving advice.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having had a large oak in my garden, the track running around them will need a lot of cleaning, even for dead rail. My oak regularly dropped small twigs, lots of them, which are not small to a model loco.

As mentioned earlier, it is hard to understand what your modus operandi is, there seems to be some tail chasing, but also end to end, a brief explanation may assist us in giving advice.
Oh missed the oak, yes they also loose a lot of sap. Though he is dead rail not sure how much worry he needs to take re the sap. Fortunately not much got onto my line in Hemel as the oaks were 40-50 feet away, but oh yes the leaves.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh missed the oak, yes they also loose a lot of sap. Though he is dead rail not sure how much worry he needs to take re the sap. Fortunately not much got onto my line in Hemel as the oaks were 40-50 feet away, but oh yes the leaves.
I laugh about the leaves as last year i got at least 10 bin full's fall on the garden & kept thinking, i must clear it up. It got left till January & we had horrendous winds over a couple of days & it cleared the lot to some ware. So i will leave it again this year.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I laugh about the leaves as last year i got at least 10 bin full's fall on the garden & kept thinking, i must clear it up. It got left till January & we had horrendous winds over a couple of days & it cleared the lot to some ware. So i will leave it again this year.
Get a leaf blower - hours of fun blasting leaves into piles and then “rolling” the piles into bigger ones. Great sense of satisfaction in seeing a nice leaf-free lawn if only for a day or so!

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Get a leaf blower - hours of fun blasting leaves into piles and then “rolling” the piles into bigger ones.
That is only the start of the fun, the real fun begins when you unleash your dogs.... there is a heaven in your garden for them

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 304412

Collectors,

What software are you using there?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
How long is Tunnel 1? Don't make it too long, not longer than 2 arms lengths, because you'll have trouble retrieving any train that breaks down in there....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Also your track from K to H in the middle of your plan; I would mirror that arrangement with RH points, so that any trains from the terminus and the line at the top of your plan from point L can be reversed....

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It's probably already said but once you return from the large oak loop you are then stuck going around the circle.
If you lead back into the circle the other way it would probably work OK.
You could change the diagonal within the circle the other way to achieve a similar result so you can go out and back without getting trapped. :nod:

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Collectors,

LegoCad? :D

AnyRail is a good free model rail design software. If you substitute flex track for the set track curves once laid out, a fairly large layout can be designed with the free version.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Get a leaf blower - hours of fun blasting leaves into piles and then “rolling” the piles into bigger ones. Great sense of satisfaction in seeing a nice leaf-free lawn if only for a day or so!
I have a very cheap black & decker leaf hoover that works great, & also mulches it up into small pieces. But i do have a 14mm gravel drive & it will suck up a few of stones. Now my track bed i am looking at 8-10mm & i think my hoover will eat these. Mabey a blower is on my shopping list.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Collectors,

The trains are all RC battery & the Wi-Fi switching is ewelink & works fine in my house & have just put another router in the garage for the railway for a good signal around the garden. All of the switching on ewelink units can be pulse or on/off which is great for points or lighting.