zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have a LGB starter set and was wondering if I could run more than one engine on the same track with the speed controller that comes with the starter set. I believe it says 1 amp or maybe 2 amps. I realize that I would not be able to control the engine speed separately and also that I would need to keep them spaced out so they would not run into each other. Thanks

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If the controller came in an LGB starter set then I very much doubt it would be a 2amp one, more likely 1amp maximum (is it an all-in-one transformer/controller, or a separate black transformer unit and a smaller red controller with the throttle knob?).
If you ran two small single-motor locos with just a couple of small coaches/wagons each, with a 1amp power pack you might JUST get away with it, but it would be pushing it a bit - a single Buhler motor loco in good condition will typically draw around 0.3-0.5 amps under light loads, so running two would just about be within the capabilities of a 1amp unit, but with little or no safety margin if one or both locos was to start drawing a bit more current (eg: on gradients, tight curves, or with a heavier train).... I would certainly watch out for the power pack getting hot and possibly tripping out....

My feeling would be that it's possible, but not recommended!

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Jon..

The LGB units are quite robust, so it will run warm, and the thermal trip will er.. trip, when it gets hot, or you pull too much current.

Your biggest problem will be the R1 curves that come with a starter set. These seriously increase drag, and so load the system, drawing more current. - Check the back-to-back of the wheel-sets on your rolling stock. Anything over-gauge, will seriously affect your running of two trains.

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you are going to run analog, get a quality supply that will last you years, and you won't be pushing it to overheating.

I noticed you mentioned cost. Cheap supplies are unfortunately, cheap.

Here's some information that will help you understand how to buy a "transformer"

I recommend the MRC Power G if you can find one, perhaps used.
AG990-2T.jpg

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
If you are going to run analog, get a quality supply that will last you years, and you won't be pushing it to overheating.

I noticed you mentioned cost. Cheap supplies are unfortunately, cheap.

Here's some information that will help you understand how to buy a "transformer"

I recommend the MRC Power G if you can find one, perhaps used.
AG990-2T.jpg
Thanks for the information, I will check this one out.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, some Zimo decoders will not work on the MRC 10. One may need the PWC fiilter. I have experienced this first hand. Also had problems with the older MRC suplies for the same reason, and in momentum mode engines ran real slow at top speed..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, if you want to go inexpensively, you will learn about PWM (PWC is name invented by Aristo) and filtering.

This thread says he has LGB starter set and wants to run more than one loco... so far this thread is about analog locos, so no DCC here, at least none described/revealed.

Greg