Running two locomotives off one controller?

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
If I fit my Playmobil PCE, which has 4 carriages, with 2 motor bogies and their batteries both having identical crystals, will it work, please?

SW.

PS With one it seems fine but I'm told the running time will be reduced because of the extra weight.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If I fit my Playmobil PCE, which has 4 carriages, with 2 motor bogies and their batteries both having identical crystals, will it work, please?

SW.

PS With one it seems fine but I'm told the running time will be reduced because of the extra weight.

Yes, it should do.. And the 'extra weight' doesn't count, as you are running 'two trains' coupled together in effect.

As these units are getting on a little, I would place the two motor-bogies a couple of feet apart, with nothing between them.. Run them backwards and forwards.. Ignoring them 'just starting off' (within reason, obviously), they should both run at approximately the same speed. - Check this in BOTH directions.
As long as they are close to each other, in speed terms, then you will be fine..

If one unit is very sluggish, compared to the other, then I personally would not do it.

HTH?
PhilP.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Are you referring to my answer in our conversation about your 4018 in which you said you'd also bought two middle coaches, Sarah? I interpreted this as meaning two of the 4019 carriages:

RC-Kombi-Mittelwagen - 4119-A - PLAYMOBIL® Deutschland

I have run Playmobil steam locos as double-headers on long trains with no problem by using the same colour crystal in each loco and similarly run two 4018s coupled together. As PhilP says, though, you need to check that each power unit operates at a similar speed.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they are the ones. So I have two middle coaches with a locomotive at each end.

I was thinking bearing in mind your comment about the power needed to run a long train I could buy another R/C bogie and replace one of the un-powered ones. Thus I would have:-

A locomotive, powered bogie, 4119, un-powered bogie, 4119, powered bogie, locomotive.

Would that work, please?

SW

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they are the ones. So I have two middle coaches with a locomotive at each end.

I was thinking bearing in mind your comment about the power needed to run a long train I could buy another R/C bogie and replace one of the un-powered ones. Thus I would have:-

A locomotive, powered bogie, 4119, un-powered bogie, 4119, powered bogie, locomotive.

Would that work, please?

SW

Same crystals.. They run at similar speeds.. Right way round, so same direction (don't ask!).. Yes.
:):nod::clap::clap:

Finding a RC bogie (without a loco) might be a challenge? - I don't think they are available from Playmobil??

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Same crystals.. They run at similar speeds.. Right way round, so same direction (don't ask!).. Yes.
:):nod::clap::clap:

Finding a RC bogie (without a loco) might be a challenge? - I don't think they are available from Playmobil??

No, no longer available. Two power bogies and two 4119s should work OK as PhilP says, but bearing in mind the effects of one 4119 on one power bogie, I would have thought that two 4119s would have had the same effects on two power bogies. However, doing it will provide the answer.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your replies.

From what you are saying spares are becoming difficult to obtain.

I did see the following and would appreciate your thoughts. If I put in a bid what amount might be acceptable to the seller please?

Playmobil RC Motorblock No. 20 - Lok 4011, 4016, 4017 / für Bastler und LGB Piko | eBay

SW

Let me check how many RC blocks and locos I have. If I have one or more spare, ou might as well buy one from me. I'll check tomorrow when the world has calmed down a bit - we were woken at about a quarter to one this morning when about a third of the kitchen ceiling hit the kitchen floor!

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'll not do anything until I hear from you.

Good luck.

Sarah

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is a block for the smaller loco's, not the express.
Note it does not come with a battery holder.

Added together, the price aand carriage comes to approximately £42..
I (have you checked other listings?) would make an offer of £40 (converted back to Euro's, and rounded) 'all-in' to include carriage.

That is if I was after that type of block..

You can 'scratch' a body to drop over one of those blocks... Well, if you have the talent. :)

DSC01763.JPG

<Edit> Was taking a photo, while Plamofire was posting..

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That is a block for the smaller loco's, not the express.
Note it does not come with a battery holder.

Added together, the price aand carriage comes to approximately £42..
I (have you checked other listings?) would make an offer of £40 (converted back to Euro's, and rounded) 'all-in' to include carriage.

That is if I was after that type of block..

You can 'scratch' a body to drop over one of those blocks... Well, if you have the talent. :)

View attachment 242152

<Edit> Was taking a photo, while Plamofire was posting..

It's a standard motor for the whole RC range, Phil.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It's a standard motor for the whole RC range, Phil.

Whoops! - I thought the 'blue' block was different. Even if the motor inside was the same..
Good job someone knows what they are talking about! :oops::rolleyes:

Sorry for the confusion, Sarah.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
No problem PhilP.

I'll wait until Playmofire is over his domestic difficulties.

Sarah

andyb

Photography; Industrial Archeology; Railways!
31 Dec 2009
Biggleswade, Bedfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if this is a direct replacement for the RC motor block - would like to run electrically on brass track.

Any thoughts?

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thats an older track powered block, and a quite high price.

if you wait you can get entire track powered loco for less that that price!

I’ve fitted one of those to an rc playmobil express, but I just used some double sided tape to attach it, as you can’t use any off the existing retaining clips.

It would give you a track powered loco, but those blocks are only designed for 14v dc rather than the normal 24v dc

Dan

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thats an older track powered block, and a quite high price.

if you wait you can get entire track powered loco for less that that price!

I’ve fitted one of those to an rc playmobil express, but I just used some double sided tape to attach it, as you can’t use any off the existing retaining clips.

It would give you a track powered loco, but those blocks are only designed for 14v dc rather than the normal 24v dc

Dan
16v go to the track and 14v to accessories with the Playmobil controllers.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if this is a direct replacement for the RC motor block - would like to run electrically on brass track.

Any thoughts?
The track powered motor is shorter than the RC motor. With the intercity express RC, as Dan says, double sided tape will hold a track powered motor in place. With the RC steam outline chassis, this method is questionable.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag

Any thoughts?
It depends on which RC loco you want to convert to track power. If it's one of the classic playmobil 0-4-0's, you can replace the RC chasis with a chasis which holds the track powered motorblock(but you also need to account for different pistons, piston rods, connecting rods, and connecting rod pins which are not exactly the same on RC and track powered versions). I have done the reverse by replacing a track powered chasis, pistons, rods, pins, and motor block with the RC equivalent on a playmobil train which is normally track powered only:
Modified:
Original:
4005C.jpg