RTM tramways

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately due to garden renovation, I had to start over! Click here if you want to jump to the new RTM tramways!

Why not start my own thread which will show the creation of my garden railway? The idea is to have a 'feldbahn' inspired layout with some additional local trams for passenger transportation. All will be heavily inspired by the RTM (Rotterdamse Tramweg Maatschappij) which in the 19th and 20th century allowed public transportation in my area of the Netherlands. Also they did goods transportation mostly for the local farmers. (sugar beet).
And the 'feldbahn' will be inspired by woodworks, transporting logs. I think...

This is the track layout that will fit the available area nicely:

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 11.59.05.png

And here I've marked the minimal 'required' area...

2016-05-21 15.15.40.jpg

I want to have the train run behind and in front of the buxus row. The 'box' created by bricks will be filled with sand so it is level with the buxus box. At the left you can see a 'hole' in the buxus already, created by our rabbits so they have easy entry and exit. There the tracks will get behind the buxus.

A couple of streets from where I live the houses get renovated and you won't believe what is thrown away! I asked the contractor if I could snatch some useful stuff...

2016-06-04 15.47.31.jpg

How's that for a foundation for the tracks?!?!

I want the tracks to be imbedded in the 'surroundings' using gravel or whatever and hopefully have some plants that will overgrow the tracks. And which won't hurt the rabbits (yes we have real rabbits running around in our garden).

So far, so good! All suggestions are appreciated. Don't know if I do anything with them, but I will certainly think them over!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting project with an interesting loco. Look forward to seeing more as it develops.

One question, however. Are you using electrically operated points? And will the rabbits be tempted to chew the wiring? (Well, two questions actually, but interlinked.)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one Henri - in Britian the common name for buxus sempervirens is 'Box' - that gives you a bit of a problem with your box box :devil::devil:

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
New stock to be added. All visible in the pictures. From a Dutch G scale forum member. Very happy to welcome these! (no not my backyard on the piccies). Unfortunately the feldbahn loco is broken and parts seem hard to get... Worn out gear. Missing exhaust. 2016-06-05 17.02.41.jpg2016-06-05 17.02.51.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice selection of items there, for the small diesel have you opened her up and looked inside? I'm led to believe that the front and rear axles are the same, so you could just swap them over?

Obviously if someone else has already done it, then your a bit stuck

Dan

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Ground breaking has started behind the buxus (box!).

Gravel removed and anti-root fabric has been removed. Don't understand the anti-root, as the fabric was filled with roots...

Space is limited and due to the roots working there is cramped. I have rethought my plans and I will add planks parallel to the track, at track level, placed on their sides. Then I will dig a small trench and move the 'dirt' to the buxus side and fill the trench with sharp sand and the bricks I already got.

2016-06-08 19.11.38.jpg

Here you see my work inspector, Pebbles...

2016-06-08 19.12.09.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Shouldn't your Work Inspector be wearing a hard hat and hi-viz jacket while in the construction zone...? ;)

A great start made, I think your ides of lining a trench with planks is a good one - the wood will rot eventually of course, but as they are not a structural part of the trackbed (I'm assuming that will be the bricks?) it shouldn't matter for many years - and they won't be seen.
As I commented earlier in another of your threads, I think that "hiding" the long back straight of the layout behind the Buxus will look really effective, as it will break up the continuous loop nature of the layout just like a backscene on an indoor one!

Jon.

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Henri I have on of those LGB diesels same stripped gear I just swapped axles front to rear.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me! I think you'll need to tamp down the soil, and the sand, really firmly to make sure that the bricks (and thus the track) don't sink down over time.

Is the track going to sit directly on the bricks, or are you going to put in a layer of fine chippings as ballast and then let the track "float" in it?

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly ballast in front of the Box (where it can be seen), and leave the track behind 'bare' for now.. Not sure if your Work Inspector will leave the ballast alone??

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think I would spread a thin layer (maybe just a centimetre or so) of small chippings (3-5mm granite or white limestone, something sharp so that it knits together) on top of the bricks, it will lock together around the sleepers and yet still allow the track a little bit of freedom of movement for expansion and contraction.
But then again, this is only theory and ideas I've picked up, after fifteen years of collecting I've not even got my own permanent track down yet, so my suggestions are worth exactly what you paid for them.... ;)
I envy the fact that so soon after getting into the hobby, you're already well on the way to getting a really nice layout built! :rofl:

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Certainly I will use ballast in front of the box!

There are two Work Inspectors actually... Hope they will not be too interested in my works. But they haven't damaged much yet in the two years we have them. Only can't stay away from plants they like. And they do an excellent job removing grass between the patio bricks!