RTM tramways

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I think I would spread a thin layer (maybe
I envy the fact that so soon after getting into the hobby, you're already well on the way to getting a really nice layout built! :rofl:

Jon.

Thanks Jon. It's kinda therapy for me. For the last 10 years I've worked my ass of and finally we've come into a little bit quieter weather, so to speak. Now my wife is fighting cancer... But with the current surgery all is removed and she's recovering quick.
You can say the track is double therapy as the whole family is enjoying the progress. Something fun to talk about and think about. Get them creative right brain in action!

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. It's kinda therapy for me. For the last 10 years I've worked my ass of and finally we've come into a little bit quieter weather, so to speak. Now my wife is fighting cancer... But with the current surgery all is removed and she's recovering quick.
You can say the track is double therapy as the whole family is enjoying the progress. Something fun to talk about and think about. Get them creative right brain in action!

That's really great to hear, Henri - I'm very glad that your wife is recovering well, and wish you all the best for the future - and yes, G scale is a great therapy, as are most modelling hobbies in general of course, but there is just something about the combination of the size of the models, the interaction with nature and so on that is especially wonderful about our choice of scale!

:) :) :)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Great ideas and a fantastic start..loving it..hope the wife's ok ..

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Hope all turns out OK.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Frank.

Tonight I finished the trench digging. Glad that's over... What a mess...

Looks pretty 'feldbahn' huh? Ain't no running ICE here!

2016-06-10 20.44.09.jpg

And here's the Assistant Work Inspector, also known as Barney...

2016-06-10 20.44.35.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, you will find that the yellow LGB plastic isolators are usually a very loose fit on the rail ends - something that I could never figure out, why on earth didn't they make them a tighter push-fit so they actually held the track together? Anyway, you can get over the problem to a certain extent if you use one of the little black plastic clips that LGB make that clip into the middle of the end sleeper on each track piece - but if you want something much more robust and reliable (which also allows you to make easy power connections at each break) then you might want something like this:
http://gardenrailoutlet.co.uk/massoth-insulated-rail-clamp-brass

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Plastic that is exposed to weather, temperature changes, and UV has a tough life. If you have it in constant tension/expansion, you are inviting cracks. The plastic itself would never be as strong as a metal joiner. So a loose fit will probably make them last longer. Smart engineering.

Greg

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
It still will take some time before the first trains will run... but yesterday I again made some progress.

2016-06-18 11.11.18.jpg

Super Work Inspector Pebbles on her duty.

2016-06-18 17.38.02.jpg

Oh yes, the frist tracks are in! (temporary...)

The rabbits are very happy with the enlarged entry and exit points...

2016-06-18 17.38.37.jpg

Look at that!

I removed the tracks as we're expecting rain tomorrow (what's new...) so the rain can wash in the sand between the bricks.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Tonight I wanted to start building the sand box for the extension of the box box. We've had rain for the last 5 days, so everything was still soaking wet.

But I did manage to lay out the track for a 'test fit'. Oh boy, the margins are enormous!

I hope using the Massoth rail connectors the rails will be aligned better..!

2016-06-22 20.28.51.jpg

Whoopsie...!

2016-06-22 20.29.25.jpg

Despite the plan, it is still a huge puzzle!

2016-06-22 20.29.43.jpg

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Looks good to me....where was the clerk of works tonight?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
They were on a break, or a strike, I don't remember.

Serious: it is HOT and humid over here at the moment and both rabbits still have most of their winter fur. It takes a couple of weeks (about 8) for them to 'change fur'. They're extremely lazy due to that today, each effort is too much for them... They were laying somewhere in the garden.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Henri,
Some of those clearances look a little tight..
The new wall of the loop can easily be altered, but I would increase the gap between the rail and wall near the point as well.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely the cutest pair of railway workers I've ever seen...... ;)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Growling well Henri.
JonD

Yes - it's nowhere near as loud as some examples I've seen (heard) on Youtube, in fact I would say that is quite acceptable!

Jon.