Rollwagon - thats nice, I'll have two!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thats nice, I thought. Looks very well made and loads of detail. I just wonder if I could stretch to a couple.

690 Euro each! maybe not.
DSCN0026.JPG

http://www.gartenbahn-center-shop.d...E4/7F4E/3D5C/8A95/C0A8/2AB9/5F04/DSCN0026.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Stingy.
Anyway, there are no couplings :wondering:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmm - a tad on the pricey side.

Difficult to see how it's justified - low numbers I suppose.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Co-incidentally, I've just ordered my own Christmas Pressy to myself (with contributions from the Memsahib and other family members) - two Rollwagens (Sachsen type rather than HSB) complete with Standard Gauge wagons - one open wagon and one boxvan - on them (plus the necessary coupling poles), all hand-made from another small German manufacturer - and the total bill, including shipping, was around the cost of ONE of those that you pictured, Alan! Still a bit of a luxury, but hey......

When they arrive (hopefully next week), I will post full details, pics and a review.

Jon.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
When they arrive (hopefully next week), I will post full details, pics and a review.

Jon.

What opening presents before Christmas............Santa won't like that.....

Reactions: 1 user

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Stingy.
Anyway, there are no couplings :wondering:
Yes there are, a bar goes in the socket on the end bit like an extended link and pin coupler. There are various lgb loop connections on one end of the bar from the different manufacturers of these and the rollbocke.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thats nice, I thought. Looks very well made and loads of detail. I just wonder if I could stretch to a couple.

690 Euro each! maybe not.
DSCN0026.JPG

http://www.gartenbahn-center-shop.d...E4/7F4E/3D5C/8A95/C0A8/2AB9/5F04/DSCN0026.JPG
Or you could make your own.
image.jpeg
Take it from me though, they are an awful lot of work. Just look at all that detail on Alan's Pic. Plus I still have not fully resolved the running of them as yet. It is a Coupling issue, I believe that they need to have a Universal Coupling at one end as the twist and humps on my line is not compatible. Perhaps the Large Cost with a good heavy base may have been an easier option. But I needed 3 of them.......The loads are less expensive being Gauge Widened LGB Swiss and Piko Wagons. Still they do look the part.
JonD

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What opening presents before Christmas............Santa won't like that.....

Yes, but I have to check they're OK and haven't suffered any damage in transit..... that's my excuse anyway!

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Jon, and you have to check them thoroughly!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Jon, and you have to check them thoroughly!

Yes, very thoroughly..... ;)

These are the ones I have ordered, from Modellbau Uwe - I've had one of his hand-builds already (the brown RuKB baggage car) and although he uses Train/Newqida bits (mainly chassis and roofs) for the basis of the work his end results are really good:

http://modellbau-uwe.de/wagons.html

Scroll down that page for the complete sets of Rollwagen plus open wagon or goods van load. The Rollwagen set with open wagon load has been improved since the photos on the webpage, and the wagon now comes with a choice of load included - coal or sand.

I reckon it's worth adding Uwe's page to the Shop Links resource, Alan.... nice guy to deal with, quick responses, takes Paypal without hassles or surcharges.

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice wagon but a bit out of my cheap mindset. Somewhere, probably Youtube, I saw a video of someone's roll wagon project. It was complete with a loading ramp too. Worked very well if I recall. That had to be two or three years ago.

Just found this one. Not the film I recall though. This young man is a man of patience.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Rollwagons look very good Jon. Shop added to 'Links'.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, very thoroughly..... ;)

These are the ones I have ordered, from Modellbau Uwe - I've had one of his hand-builds already (the brown RuKB baggage car) and although he uses Train/Newqida bits (mainly chassis and roofs) for the basis of the work his end results are really good:

http://modellbau-uwe.de/wagons.html

Scroll down that page for the complete sets of Rollwagen plus open wagon or goods van load. The Rollwagen set with open wagon load has been improved since the photos on the webpage, and the wagon now comes with a choice of load included - coal or sand.

I reckon it's worth adding Uwe's page to the Shop Links resource, Alan.... nice guy to deal with, quick responses, takes Paypal without hassles or surcharges.

Jon.
His Rollwagen prices are much better, almost half the Gartenbahn Centre price with a Load. If I had not spent time making mine I might have been tempted.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A little update.... a big and heavy parcel has arrived from Germany this morning - two Rollwagens (Sachsen type) from Modellbau Uwe, with standard gauge van and open wagon (with load), plus all the necessary coupling shafts and pins, and (as seems to be the German tradition with mail-orders) two free packets of Christmas Cookies! :rofl:

All the models are really superb, even better than I'd expected - full review with photos will follow either tonight or tomorrow, when I can take a break from packing little figures and sending my own customers' orders out (ah, the joys of doing mailorder at Christmas!).

More to follow.......

Jon.

Edit: will have to take the photos and do the review tomorrow now...... dining room table is covered with Christmas Cards and wrapping paper, kitchen is covered with step-daughter's Christmas baking, it's p*ssing down outside (and dark) so I literally have nowhere to take a half-decent pic of them!
The free Christmas Cookies are delicious, though (urp....)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Further to the Sachsen rollwagens, and getting back on-topic of the original post to this thread, I asked Modellbau-Uwe if he was planning to do any HSB versions - and apparently yes, he is! :)

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice wagon but a bit out of my cheap mindset. Somewhere, probably Youtube, I saw a video of someone's roll wagon project. It was complete with a loading ramp too. Worked very well if I recall. That had to be two or three years ago.

Just found this one. Not the film I recall though. This young man is a man of patience.

Reminded me of watching guys Shunting and Making up Rollwagens at Mugeln back just before and after the Wall came down in East Germany. 2 guys at least would be involved in dragging the Coupling Bars around to make up and break up Consists. One can see that the economics of these things just do not stack up sadly on the Modern Railway. Sadly.

Great little vid that does give us some hope for the youth of today being involved with our hobby.
JonD