David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Some time ago I decided that the Claptowte Railway needed a third goods brake van to help handle to freight traffic. In order to ring the changes I thought it would be nice to have a bogie brake van. I looked around for a suitable donor vehicle, to kit bash, and found a LGB bogie caboose on eBay. I obtained the caboose for not a lot of money as it was missing a ladder top from one end, this was not an issue as the ladder and all of the roof detail was to be discarded anyway. I set about modifying it into something more British in appearance. This was about two and a half years ago, but having made a start it was put aside, until now, while I got on with other projects, I have only just finished it.

The donor caboose

dig 191205001.JPG

dig 191205002.JPG

dig 191205003.JPG

dig 191205004.JPG

dig 191205005.JPG

The first alteration that I carried out was to remove all walkway, ladder and handrail detail from the cabin and cupola roofs. I then removed the cupola which left a large aperture in the cabin roof. Fortunately the radius of the cupola roof exactly matched the cabin roof, so it was just a case of cutting off the cupola roof and trimming it to size, to fit the aperture.

dig 191205006.JPG

It was necessary to extend the length of the roof by gluing on a 5mm strip of plasticard to each end. There were numerous holes, in the roof, left by the removal of the various detail items. These were all filled in, as was the joins where the cupola roof was fitted, and everything was sanded flush.

dig 200122001.JPG

After this I sprayed the roof with grey plastic primer. I retained the hole for the stove cowl and I drilled new holes, on the centre line, to take a pair of GRS lamp tops and a pair of air vents. On the four corners I glued on some thin strips of plasticard to act as rain strips.

dig 200124001.JPG

dig 220328001.JPG

My next task was to set about altering the interior of the cabin. The elevated tables and chairs that sat beneath the cupola had to be removed. This was no simple task as they were well and truly glued in and had to be hacked out. This left the walls of this compartment in a bit of a state, so, to cover the damage, I made up some dummy cupboard and drawer fronts, from plasticard, to turn this into a storage area

At the opposite end of the cabin I noted that there were raised lines on the floor, identical to those in LGB Jackson Sharp coaches, to locate a stove and associated coal bin. While these items were not fitted to the caboose when I purchased it, I had these items in my spares box, left over from my buffet car conversion. These were allocated for later fitting. On the opposite side of this compartment I fabricated a table/bench/desk from plasticard.

On the outside of the body, I removed all of the wire handrails, carved off the fixing points and filled in the holes. The lamps were removed and mounting slots filled. I cut apertures, centrally, in each side of the body and fabricated guards duckets over each one, using plasticard.

I cut off the railings from the end balconies and replaced them with closed in ends, again fabricated from plasticard. I attached a GRS etched brass lamp iron to each end. On the buffer beams I glued on LGB Toy Train buffers, salvaged from a past conversion when making a single bogie coach from two Toy Train 4-wheel coaches. I glued spacers, from off-cuts of 3mm plasticard, to each buffer beam, and drilled them to receive brake pipes from the same source as the buffers. On the four corners, each side of the balcony steps, I drilled and fitted handrails made up from GRS white metal handrail knobs and brass wire.

The plastic wheels were replaced with Al Kramer bright nickel plated solid turned brass wheels, imported from the US. These are the standard wheels on Claptowte Railway rolling stock, they impart a low centre of gravity due to their weight.

Everything was then temporarily assembled for photographs ‘in the raw’ prior to painting and final assembly.

The final addition to the interior was to add a couple of 1/24 scale swivel chairs, from eBay.

dig 220328002.JPG

dig 220328003.JPG

dig 220328004.JPG

dig 220328005.JPG

dig 220328006.JPG

dig 220328007.JPG

dig 220328008.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The model was then dismantled, as appropriate, the parts being given a spray coat of grey plastic primer, prior to painting by brush. The painted parts were then reassembled and the windows were glazed with clear plastic sheet. The company lettering was applied using cut vinyl lettering.

dig 220331001.JPG

dig 220331002.JPG

dig 220331003.JPG

dig 220331004.JPG

dig 220331005.JPG

The completed model

dig 220331006.JPG

dig 220331007.JPG

dig 220331008.JPG

dig 220331009.JPG

dig 220331011.JPG

dig 220331010.JPG

David

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
That is a fantastic bash, your interior detail is superb, and the end product, words just fail me, as I cannot think of anything that express how great the whole project is :)
:):):):):):):)

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic
I also have a car like this lying around - now I know what it will become one day.

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic bash David, real quality modelling and pics, your fleet of loco's and stock is becoming very impressive and very unique , what's next ? :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:....... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Skilled workmanship there David

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Your getting rather excellent at this !

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The brake van having a run out in the garden, 21.08.2022

dig 220821003.JPG

David

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Your some man, I don't suppose you built a spare I could borrow.
Only two things I would do differently and only because I favour the practices of a well-known pre-grouping Scottish railway, I would put the C and R either side of the guards ducket and put lamp irons on each of the four end stanchions. Not a criticism at all just my own thoughts if I ever followed your superb example.

Please keep sharing your work, great incentives.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Your some man, I don't suppose you built a spare I could borrow.
Only two things I would do differently and only because I favour the practices of a well-known pre-grouping Scottish railway, I would put the C and R either side of the guards ducket and put lamp irons on each of the four end stanchions. Not a criticism at all just my own thoughts if I ever followed your superb example.

Please keep sharing your work, great incentives.
I would have put the C and the R either side of the ducket, but the presence of the windows prevent this.. I did put additional lamp irons on my 4-wheel guards van, but decided against it for this version.

dig 150824001.JPG

David