Anyone tried the new Modell-Land track yet?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As some of you may have noticed, the big German dealer Modell-Land appears to have started making their own branded code 332 track, including points - just wondered if anyone here had got round to ordering and trying any of it yet?
Prices look pretty good, and I especially like the fact that each length of track comes supplied with two of their own Massoth-style railclamps instead of push-on fishplates. I say Massoth-STYLE because while ML's clamps appear to use the same (or a very similar) solid brass profile, they are slightly shorter - 15mm compared with Massoth's 19mm. This may just be a way of economising on brass to keep the cost down (and it is certainly reflected in the lower retail price), BUT it might also have some practical advantages - less of a forced "straightening" effect when used to join curved track, and possibly easier to fit on track like TL45 with its shorter rail-ends due to their more accurate sleeper spacing?
ML's new track products do in fact look very much like TrainLine45's, to the extent that I wonder if there is a link there somewhere; their points have the same brass frog insert as TL45 which may be (optionally) powered to make a semi-live frog point.

I ran the "blurb" about ML's new points through Googly Translate and got this slightly garbled but generally understandable text:

"In order to make the points as realistic as possible, the production was oriented to the very last detail on the original switches. Therefore, these switches have the distinctive double sleepers under the heart, because at this point a turnout must be extra reinforced. In addition, the track arms of our switches are shaped. locomotive or wagon wheels are picked up in front of the frog point and then steered smoothly over the centerpiece. As a result, the locomotive can not accumulate on the frog point. The centerpiece is equipped with a solder lug for polarization. The frog point is made of solid brass, which means that now for the first time the unsightly distance between sash and intermediate track is also supplied with power.

This is a long-awaited improvement, especially for small locomotives with short center distances, because now you can easily steer your locomotive over the turnout even at slower speeds without jerking or problems. In order to ensure smooth model railroad operation, the distance between the main track and the wheel guides was deliberately chosen. This prevents the axles from jamming when crossing. Even with the length of the handlebars was based on original switches."

For "handlebars" in the last sentence above, I think you should read "check rails" (Radlenker). Oh, and when they mention the "heart" of the point, they mean the frog (literal translation of "Harzstueck", "heart-piece").

Anyway, examples of the points are here: Weiche links Messing R3 mit Verbinder ML-Train 8921255

....and the photos of them, particularly those of the underside wiring and links, do make it look as though maybe they've really thought through the problems with some LGB and Piko points and designed these rather better....

Given the designs and the prices, I'm rather tempted to give some of these a go - so, has anyone else taken the plunge already?

Jon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Two thoughts: 1) Doesn't it look like the distance between the metal frog point and the frog rails is too short? I feel like a wheel would hit both and short the lines. 2) Is it just me, or is the throw bar metal? Which doesn't make any sense...
I do like the look of them though. As you say, the price is great! I'd buy a few... but I'll bet shipping cross the pond would be insane.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Two thoughts: 1) Doesn't it look like the distance between the metal frog point and the frog rails is too short? I feel like a wheel would hit both and short the lines. 2) Is it just me, or is the throw bar metal? Which doesn't make any sense...
I do like the look of them though. As you say, the price is great! I'd buy a few... but I'll bet shipping cross the pond would be insane.

If you zoom in on the main picture, the throw bar is green - from which I suspect it is PCB-type material......

Jon.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like top quality track.
They wouldn't release it if there was a shorting out problem on the frog.
Optional polarity is good too.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I reckon it looks good.... may well give it a try very soon!

Jon.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is similar to the TrainLline 45 track but is supplied with rail clamps instead or joiners.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
From the photos, the points certainly look like "improved" versions of the TL45 ones.....

Jon.