Christmas Tree Railway 2023

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Christmas has come round again and that means it's time for a railway!
For the record I have suggested not doing a railway for the tree but get shot down very quickly by my wife and teenage boys so I must be doing something right.

Not so much a new railway this year but hopefully an improvement, at only 600mm x 900mm its not the biggest but we don't have the room for anything bigger.
For the last two years I have spent an age gluing down some loosely packed white felt between the rails and on the rest of the baseboard with a glue gun to mimic snow.
Whilst initially it looks ok, after a while it becomes tatty and is a magnet for Christmas tree needles which don't seem to want to let go, so each year before getting packed away again I spend another age removing all of the felt and glue residue.

This year I thought I'd try something a bit different and use DAS modelling clay followed by sanding it smooth and finally painting. I did consider using some scatter material as well but the cost of getting a good decent level of coverage was too great, maybe next year.

3.jpg

First experiment with DAS clay, 500g doesn't seem to go very far but it has promise. The random hole in the baseboard is for the top of the Christmas tree stand to poke through.

4.jpg

Another 1kg of DAS clay just about covered everywhere it need to, a little more would have been nice but not worth going out and buying some. This was before sanding the clay smooth or painting.

6.jpg

Not the best of transitions from snow to tunnel but good enough for now. After sanding and a couple of coats of paint it looked a lot better.
The use of solid couplings instead of chain helps a lot due to the tightness of the curves.

7.jpg

Another improvement was to wire in a 5v USB cable instead of using up loads of batteries for the lights in the rock face and tunnel.
The railway backs onto a glass window so can be seen from the back, for this reason the tunnel is lined with slate and a wooden framework to give a rough look of a mine tunnel.
It kept my two year old niece happy for ages watching the train for Santa pass through the tunnel so well worth the extra effort.

9.jpg

Plenty of toy deliveries going on as the sleigh waits patiently in the siding.

A daft idea to begin with but now seems to have become a bit of a Christmas tradition, one that I am certainly not complaining about.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
An excellent job and thanks for the useful commentary on its making.

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
An excellent job and thanks for the useful commentary on its making.
Thank you. I think I have some pictures of the original build somewhere so will add those later if I can find them.

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking back through old pictures I managed to find some of various stages of the railway build two years ago.

11.jpg

Once the track plan had been sketched on to the baseboard a simple frame was made and fitted underneath with the baseboard cut to suit. The rough structure for the tunnel section was also installed. Baseboard size 900mm x 600mm (minus a corner).

12.jpg

Due to the relative tightness of the curves I ended up increasing the gauge by roughly 1mm. The rails had been removed from the sleepers already to allow the rails to be rolled, split sleepers made it a lot easier to install the curves. In the end the original gauge would have been fine but no harm done.

15.jpg

Roofing slate was used to line the tunnel section with stained wood added for a mock pit prop look.

17.jpg

A view not visible once the top was installed but it gives a good view of the tunnel section before a floor of broken slate was stuck down.

18.jpg

After collecting some tree bark from a fallen tree in the woods local to me and drying it out, which took a surprisingly long time, it was stuck on the tunnel structure to create a rock face.

20.jpg

Tunnel mouth with broken slate floor. A scrap piece of MDF was painted black to form a temporary tunnel back if I could find some room for the railway to go during the rest of the year. Unfortunately living in a shoe box of a house meant this didn't happen and it lives in the loft for most of the year.

21.jpg

Basic structure completed with lights embedded in the rock face. A simple platform is fixed in place with space for a removable waiting shelter to the left. It needed to be removable to allow the fixing bolts of the tree stand to be done up properly and also to reduce weight as the extra weight of the slate and tunnel has increased the overall weight considerably.

The oddly shaped hole in the centre is for the Christmas tree stand. Initially it didn't have a siding here, this was added the year after.

22.jpg

A boring view to show the wiring for the lights and framework of the railway. The battery holder has since been replaced with a USB lead so any charger can power the lights and locating pockets fitted so that the railway slots nicely onto a supporting framework which the Christmas tree stand sits on and allows for presents to be stored underneath.

23.jpg

Waiting shelter in place but missing it's slate roof and platform yet to be stained. Small tree just happened to fit the stand hole so it seemed appropriate while testing the railway.

24.jpg

Felt glued down, shelter finished and a liberal coating of snow spray applied to the rock face. Tree installed and family happy.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg