RC Component name ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3553
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3553

hi again GAP...the unit is working as it should with an on/off switch between the two wires that normally go to the Gizmo...but only forward.......Mal R.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is all there is to the Rx....as I understand it this Gizmo I messed up directs pulses to the rx to move loco forward or reverse........

Without seeing it up close and personal I'll suggest that the ESC is mounted on that board possibly a H Bridge comprised of the transistors on the LHS.

Rather than hunt around, personally I would buy one of these to replace the controller and receiver.

HobbyKing 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)

And use something like this to control the motor HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed Car ESC

From the picture it looks like you could fit the RX and ESC inside the loco.

D

Deleted member 3553

Without seeing it up close and personal I'll suggest that the ESC is mounted on that board possibly a H Bridge comprised of the transistors on the LHS.

Rather than hunt around, personally I would buy one of these to replace the controller and receiver.

And use something like this to control the motor HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed Car ESC

From the picture it looks like you could fit the RX and ESC inside the loco.
Thanks GAP..........does this Tx control lever self return or can you set it at a given speed ? Like your advice....I can probably buy another car for about $30 but would be better to use your idea.......I messed up existing set up because I was trying fit a knob control to do away with holding the trigger....

D

Deleted member 3553

Or, from the same place he can buy a new transmitter and receiver that looks the same as his original one..

Thanks Greg but I think I'll go with GAP's..........I suspect you really need an ESC with these trigger set ups to give you a smoother run ?????

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks GAP..........does this Tx control lever self return or can you set it at a given speed ? Like your advice....I can probably buy another car for about $30 but would be better to use your idea.......I messed up existing set up because I was trying fit a knob control to do away with holding the trigger....

I am using these ESCs in combination with the TX/RX from Hobbyking more and more as I do conversions.
Pololu Simple Motor Controller 18v7 (Fully Assembled)

I find them the easiest to use via a simple free computer program and a programming cable, you can set the centre position of the stick to be neutral ie off with FWD and REV at extreme ends of the stick movement or you can let the ESC self calibrate ie when switched on the position of the stick becomes neutral. There are other combinations for stick position that are explained in the user guide which is written in plain simple English. Run an eye over this to see if it suits your needs
Pololu Simple Motor Controller User’s Guide

Disclaimer; I have no commercial interest in the product or the supplier I just like them.

I like to have the stick position in a position that lets me have more FWD steps than REV working on the assumption that you do not go flat out in REV.

The other method that I use is this one from Sandstone and Termite, it does consume more space but the directions are easy to followed, in fact my neighbour who has no electrical knowledge at all got his trains running using it.
Sandstone & Termite Railway-2.4GHz RC

D

Deleted member 3553

Absolutely, I would not use the toy car controller myself, but since you were trying to repair the device I thought price was the priority.

Greg
No not necessarily Greg...more of the old waste not want not....the cars were wrecked and I thought i would try to use the RC on a couple of bashed up locos...
Regards Mal R.
I am using these ESCs in combination with the TX/RX from Hobbyking more and more as I do conversions.

I find them the easiest to use via a simple free computer program and a programming cable, you can set the centre position of the stick to be neutral ie off with FWD and REV at extreme ends of the stick movement or you can let the ESC self calibrate ie when switched on the position of the stick becomes neutral. There are other combinations for stick position that are explained in the user guide which is written in plain simple English. Run an eye over this to see if it suits your needs

Disclaimer; I have no commercial interest in the product or the supplier I just like them.

I like to have the stick position in a position that lets me have more FWD steps than REV working on the assumption that you do not go flat out in REV.

The other method that I use is this one from Sandstone and Termite, it does consume more space but the directions are easy to followed, in fact my neighbour who has no electrical knowledge at all got his trains running using it.
Thanks....still in my PJ's.........planning a track alteration today so will have to move.and will follow up your post later in the day...Regards Mal.R

D

Deleted member 3553

Thanks....still in my PJ's.........planning a track alteration today so will have to move.and will follow up your post later in the day...Regards Mal.R

D

Deleted member 3553

From the picture it looks like you could fit the RX and ESC inside the loco.[/

Harking back GAP........with this ESC (above) do you need to fit a servo and switch to activate reverse ??? And using Sandstone & Termite set up where is the servo/switch mounted ??? Thanks...Mardy.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

I have not used one of those ESCs but looking at the operation I guess it has FWD and REV built in so no servo/switch required.

On the S&T setup the switch is glued to the servo and that is put anywhere it will fit as long as the wires to the RX reach. All the components can be spread around the loco

D

Deleted member 3553

I have not used one of those ESCs but looking at the operation I guess it has FWD and REV built in so no servo/switch required.

On the S&T setup the switch is glued to the servo and that is put anywhere it will fit as long as the wires to the RX reach. All the components can be spread around the loco
Thank you GAP......will probably try out that ESC......with another TX I have..........I have repaired the Tx with the damaged "Gismo"...........found another one in a pile of bits and pieces I salvaged from the Grandees...now have two older loco's running off the one Tx.

D

Deleted member 3553

Hi again GAP...your info paid off........found an ESC as you suggested above and although fitted very roughly to start, is working perfectly forward and reverse........the Tx has a certain range of acceleration on the trigger but also has a 3 position switch which ups the volt's apparently.......have no instructions on Tx or ESC but nothing bombed out yet........will tidy all up tomorrow with any luck and tick another problem...Thanks again for all the help....Mardy.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again GAP...your info paid off........found an ESC as you suggested above and although fitted very roughly to start, is working perfectly forward and reverse........the Tx has a certain range of acceleration on the trigger but also has a 3 position switch which ups the volt's apparently.......have no instructions on Tx or ESC but nothing bombed out yet........will tidy all up tomorrow with any luck and tick another problem...Thanks again for all the help....Mardy.

Glad to hear that it all works. Which ESC and Transmitter are you using?

D

Deleted member 3553

Glad to hear that it all works. Which ESC and Transmitter are you using?
GoolRC TG3 2.4GHz 3CH Transmitter with Receiver for RC Car Boat Z5K1 and Hobby King X-car 45A brushed car ESC'........

D

Deleted member 3553

GoolRC TG3 2.4GHz 3CH Transmitter with Receiver for RC Car Boat Z5K1 and Hobby King X-car 45A brushed car ESC'........
Batt pack 8 x 1.2 NIMH...........