• Hi All I think many of you are not aware of the user profile options, if you hover over the small round icon top right of the screen, it may be black, have 2 letters or even your avatar, it will bring up a menu with lots of options for you to play with. One that we like to see used is the setting of an avatar (little picture) you can now also upgrade your account to remove adverts. Paul

RC Component name ?

mardy

mardy

Registered
10 Jun 2016
Brisbane. Australia
hi again GAP...the unit is working as it should with an on/off switch between the two wires that normally go to the Gizmo...but only forward.......Mal R.

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
United Kingdom
GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
This is all there is to the Rx....as I understand it this Gizmo I messed up directs pulses to the rx to move loco forward or reverse........
Without seeing it up close and personal I'll suggest that the ESC is mounted on that board possibly a H Bridge comprised of the transistors on the LHS.

Rather than hunt around, personally I would buy one of these to replace the controller and receiver.

HobbyKing 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)

And use something like this to control the motor HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed Car ESC

From the picture it looks like you could fit the RX and ESC inside the loco.

mardy

mardy

Registered
10 Jun 2016
Brisbane. Australia
Without seeing it up close and personal I'll suggest that the ESC is mounted on that board possibly a H Bridge comprised of the transistors on the LHS.

Rather than hunt around, personally I would buy one of these to replace the controller and receiver.

And use something like this to control the motor HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed Car ESC

From the picture it looks like you could fit the RX and ESC inside the loco.
Thanks GAP..........does this Tx control lever self return or can you set it at a given speed ? Like your advice....I can probably buy another car for about $30 but would be better to use your idea.......I messed up existing set up because I was trying fit a knob control to do away with holding the trigger....

mardy

mardy

Registered
10 Jun 2016
Brisbane. Australia
Or, from the same place he can buy a new transmitter and receiver that looks the same as his original one..

Thanks Greg but I think I'll go with GAP's..........I suspect you really need an ESC with these trigger set ups to give you a smoother run ?????

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
Thanks GAP..........does this Tx control lever self return or can you set it at a given speed ? Like your advice....I can probably buy another car for about $30 but would be better to use your idea.......I messed up existing set up because I was trying fit a knob control to do away with holding the trigger....
I am using these ESCs in combination with the TX/RX from Hobbyking more and more as I do conversions.
Pololu Simple Motor Controller 18v7 (Fully Assembled)

I find them the easiest to use via a simple free computer program and a programming cable, you can set the centre position of the stick to be neutral ie off with FWD and REV at extreme ends of the stick movement or you can let the ESC self calibrate ie when switched on the position of the stick becomes neutral. There are other combinations for stick position that are explained in the user guide which is written in plain simple English. Run an eye over this to see if it suits your needs
Pololu Simple Motor Controller User’s Guide

Disclaimer; I have no commercial interest in the product or the supplier I just like them.

I like to have the stick position in a position that lets me have more FWD steps than REV working on the assumption that you do not go flat out in REV.

The other method that I use is this one from Sandstone and Termite, it does consume more space but the directions are easy to followed, in fact my neighbour who has no electrical knowledge at all got his trains running using it.
Sandstone & Termite Railway-2.4GHz RC

mardy

mardy

Registered
10 Jun 2016
Brisbane. Australia
Absolutely, I would not use the toy car controller myself, but since you were trying to repair the device I thought price was the priority.

Greg
No not necessarily Greg...more of the old waste not want not....the cars were wrecked and I thought i would try to use the RC on a couple of bashed up locos...
Regards Mal R.
I am using these ESCs in combination with the TX/RX from Hobbyking more and more as I do conversions.

I find them the easiest to use via a simple free computer program and a programming cable, you can set the centre position of the stick to be neutral ie off with FWD and REV at extreme ends of the stick movement or you can let the ESC self calibrate ie when switched on the position of the stick becomes neutral. There are other combinations for stick position that are explained in the user guide which is written in plain simple English. Run an eye over this to see if it suits your needs

Disclaimer; I have no commercial interest in the product or the supplier I just like them.

I like to have the stick position in a position that lets me have more FWD steps than REV working on the assumption that you do not go flat out in REV.

The other method that I use is this one from Sandstone and Termite, it does consume more space but the directions are easy to followed, in fact my neighbour who has no electrical knowledge at all got his trains running using it.
Thanks....still in my PJ's.........planning a track alteration today so will have to move.and will follow up your post later in the day...Regards Mal.R

mardy

mardy

Registered
10 Jun 2016
Brisbane. Australia

Thanks....still in my PJ's.........planning a track alteration today so will have to move.and will follow up your post later in the day...Regards Mal.R

mardy

mardy

Registered
10 Jun 2016
Brisbane. Australia

From the picture it looks like you could fit the RX and ESC inside the loco.[/

Harking back GAP........with this ESC (above) do you need to fit a servo and switch to activate reverse ??? And using Sandstone & Termite set up where is the servo/switch mounted ??? Thanks...Mardy.