Motor Anomaly

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When I started to build my Streetcar, I had a new 3 volt motor that had come with another kit, and assumed it to be 3 volts as the kit was designed to be powered by 2 standard AA cells. On connecting 2 AA cells it ran well, and connecting to 1 Li-Ion cell (3.7 volts) all seemed well. However, when connected to my Rx all I got was error inductions, another motor was tried and this worked okay, however having determined this motor is designed for 9 - 12 volts, it was a little under power. Having been to the evil place on the net I identified a number of possible motors, none overly expensive, and two of these were ordered. The first one a genuine MFA Como RE 280/5, this motor is fine, the second that arrive was a RE280 MM28, and part of its description was:

"High torque miniature DC motor with operating range 1.5 to 6.0V. Suitable for educational and modelling applications. Rotation is clockwise as viewed from shaft end."

The motor arrived, and it was identical to the problem motor, and behaved identically, i.e. ran from a battery (in both directions) but not when powered via the Rx. So this would indicate this is not a standard DC motor, and indeed is somehow directional. Marking on the plastic end cap are quite specific with one terminal marked with a "+", and a directional arrow also marked. Just a tail of caution for those buying motors.

RE280-MM28.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting, perhaps internally the position of the windings as compared to the commutator are shifted to optimize motion in one direction (sort of like timing advance on your car).

Thanks for the heads up.

445534_RE280-MM28.jpg